Username: Password: Remember me
Over 80? Join us in here

TOPIC: We 80 year olds - - - - - -

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 8 months 4 weeks ago #3717479

• JUJO
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Maywalk wrote: Hi Jujo.
Unfortunately these past few years I have spent in and out of hospital . Bones are SO porous now they are breaking at the least thing. Had my first bone infusion but I don’t think it will do me much good at my age of 91. I have not long come out of hospital with having a broken a bone in my coccyx and in hospital for the over a month.
It’s a good job I knew how to FaceTime my family because I could see and talk to them every day.
I hope you are keeping well and when I do manage to call in here it’s a pity more can’t call in to help keep this section going.

Maywalk, I am really sorry to hear about you being in hospital with your bones, really hope things improve for you
Best wishes always

Please Log in to join the conversation.

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 8 months 4 weeks ago #3717485

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 832
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you Maywalk. Yes thoroughly enjoying 25yrs of retirement.
My lil secret. Sponsored and enhanced by my Grand children.
"Skip climbing mountains". "Do a somersault, and think as a 58 yo. Gramps". :laugh:
Best wishes. Vibrant Lady.

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 7 months 2 days ago #3743544

• Maryjoolz
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 37
  • Honor Medal 2010
i thought as i will be coming up for 82 yr this year in June i would put in my 3 penneth in the 80's section ..
i must say i dont feel 81 and dont know anyone who is my age apart from a friend in London ..the people i have met since living in Scotland this last 30 yrs are people i have met while out speed walking which i used to do or walking my dogs who are gone now .these friends are all slightly younger than i am but age has never really come up .. we go to concerts or out to lunch or even charity shopping . or we did before this covid virus .. i still go out now as i still drive but i make sure i wear a mask and sanitise . i dont go in coffee shops anymore though , i might decide to go for a drive to the beach 5 mins up the road with my husband and we will take a flask with us .my husband is at risk as he has loads wrong with him so i am a carer too, he is only 72 yrs old and i always thought he would be the one pushing me in my wheel chair ..lol how wrong was i ? anyhow mind how you go ..
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA, QuinTSensual, danch

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 7 months 2 days ago #3743742

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Good to see that there's still life in our unique topic. Unique, because at the last check, the average age on B50 is 63yo.
The generation gap, reflected in Topics and responses, side lining old codgers perspectives.
Your mentioning the clear benefits of speed walking, triggering yesteryear and its contemporary advantages.
During my 50/60's I used to accompany family skiing. Learning myself a step too far. Rendezvous by way of Nordic walking with ski boards, over a three year period.
Fast forward [no pun intended] to the here and now. With a fractured coccyx and self inspired therapy!
Tesco Forres Supermarket and Trolleys. Perfect for supporting weight and inviting gossip. :blush:
Speed Walking. Stepping well beyond leg length, every aisle twice. Even if only a couple relevant to needs.
Much to the perplexed, mixed reaction, of mildly amused shoppers. Dazed by such athleticism, nonchalantly skidding, unnecessarily, through kitchenware, children's and female underwear aisles.:ohmy:
If there one thing we have learnt. Its adaptation. wink.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Maryjoolz, DaveA

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 4 weeks ago #3744693

• DaveA
  • DaveA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2010
i reached 88 last month and although my intentions may be good I'm afraid that my days of "speedwalking" are behind me. Within the last couple of years, the need for a cane has slowly become a necessity. My wife, on the other hand, although needing infusions at 4 month intervals (age 85) for immune system problems, has not needed to share my cane as yet.

I guess we feel lucky to still be able to function on our own although we are surrounded by our kids and grandkids and never without help if and when needed. Life's treated us well and no matter what the future brings, we will not complain. 66 years married come next month.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, danch

Last edit: by DaveA.

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 4 weeks ago #3744944

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not that I endorse selective or otherwise Lawlessness.
Being Carefree. A generalised preserve of later generations. Is also found amongst our vintage.
Example of which. Months of pixilated, distorted, unviewable TV reception.
Subliminally known, to be caused by Transmitters selling off and reallocating wavelengths. A procedure that has less than publicly admitted exposure.
Having stated the circumstance, largely ignored, beyond a convoluted plethora of Gov UK links.
Objected to paying £159 for TV licence renewal. Ignoring challenging demands
Enter the heavy handed, tick box Grey suits. To the effect of "Pay up or be Prosecuted" Likely outcome £1000 fine.
Which was like torching a haystack. Igniting a dormant Carefree stance. And responding with. "Then Prosecute".
Not cavalier or ready/willing to part with £1000.
But confident, that 'dragging' a physically handicapped octogenarian, with a barrowful of mitigating circumstance to court, in the unlikely event of being sufficiently mobile.
Maybe expressing Carefree. But more likely the substance of an amended tick box.
Whatever the outcome. The grey matter is exercised.
Lie down and there's every chance your be stomped on. Stand up and let the devil take the hindermost.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Cats Meow

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 3 weeks ago #3747784

• man of kent
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124
  • Honor Medal 2010
For Annie & others - my story of ` GWEN ` - I put in my profile - in the BLOG section - so as it will keep for some time.
Sorry about that - but somewhere I put in a reminder - of that fact.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
Last edit: by man of kent.

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 2 days ago #3758380

• Jabberwocky
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2010
Can't believe it....95!!?? It's only a few years to a hundred.....so what the hell.......I'll go for it. I live alone, clean, cook, do laundry.....everything. I walk a mile each day, and I have resumed painting watercolors. Many of my paintings are on my website....let me know if you'd like to take a peek.
Where on earth did the years go?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Beauty

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 2 days ago #3758386

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Well said received: 1194
  • Honor Medal 2010
I thought I would have a look at this thread even though I'm still I my late 50s.

You lot are an inspiration, not only to me but not doubt others too.

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Beauty

Time waits for no one...
...and it won't wait for me

We 80 year olds - - - - - - 6 months 9 hours ago #3759100

• man of kent
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 124
  • Honor Medal 2010
You are doing well - jabbywocky, we are the same age. I used to walk 3 mile, there & back, always on the bus
route, in case I could not walk back, at times. But the virus has done the damage, now I am down to 200 yards
there & 200 yards back. I get exhausted, come to a full stop sometimes, so a seat is most welcome.
I have no heart problems, no re-placement parts, have trouble breathing at times. A dislocated shoulder, that can
not be repaired ( `you may not survive the anesthetic` ) I was told. It was put back, but with reduced movements.
I have no hip or knee re- placements. I have turned down invitations to dinner & refreshment occasions ( sitting too close together ) Things will improve in time, but will I ?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Beauty, danch

MAGPIE.-- the bird
Moderators: mikePascalouPatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds