Username: Password: Remember me
Over 80? Join us in here

TOPIC: INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 2 months 3 weeks ago #3381773

• Geeljay
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 67
My two sons ran courses in Devon called Computing for the terrified. But I belong to a Friendship group, of about 40 or so folks. Most of them wont use computers, but those that do all have so many more benefits of access, and contact with others. I try to persuade them, but I trhink it is up to each individual to want to try. Conversely, my mobile is a very basic one, I am unable to use the more sophisticated models. but my great grandchildren consider them to be a natural extension of their hands. Age related, I think.
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA, Aida, JUJO, lewkat, Bessie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 2 months 2 weeks ago #3384009

• Seeker80
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
There are so many variables to this problem. I don't want to sound too trite, but doing the best you can with what you've got is the way I try to go. If I am not well, I can pray for others. If I am lonely, I go on line! I use every tiny bit of independence I might possess to contribute in some positive way to mankind.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 2 months 3 days ago #3394280

• Youngatheart
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 43
I belong to a private forum, where we are nearly all oldies. one of my daughters think I know more about the internet than she does.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida, JUJO, Bessie

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 1 month 4 weeks ago #3396342

• DaveA
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 449
  • Honor Medal 2010
I never need to reach beyond my own family regarding electronic help. We share this 100 year old house where I was born and still live with our youngest daughter's family. We actually gave the house to them back in 1995 and retained a life lease to live out our days here. Kind of nice -no taxes, electric, water, heat, etc,.bills for us to handle.

A shout up the stairs will usually bring her or one of her college age kids downstairs to solve our problem. We have another grand-daughter and family 5 minutes away and another daughter in the next town, maybe 10-12 minutes from here. They're all tech savvy and easily get us back on track if we've become mired in some computer problem.

In our 80's now, I would sorely miss being apart from family and luckily, throughout the years, we have been here and contributed much help when the kids were young. Makes us feel less guilty or burdensome as we slip towards needing help.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Aida, JUJO, Bessie

Last edit: by DaveA.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 1 month 4 weeks ago #3397451

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8716
  • Honor Medal 2010

Seeker80 wrote: There are so many variables to this problem. I don't want to sound too trite, but doing the best you can with what you've got is the way I try to go. If I am not well, I can pray for others. If I am lonely, I go on line! I use every tiny bit of independence I might possess to contribute in some positive way to mankind.

A lovely post.

It’s easy to stay with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 1 month 2 weeks ago #3403746

• Tally
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3
I too and fiercely independent. I am blessed with good health in body and mind but am so aware that one or both may fail at any time. I love what I do with my horses and know that the hard work helps keep me in shape but I know that one day I will have to give them up and that will be the beginning of end for me. I've worked hard my whole life and cannot be idle. Never thought I would be old and still cannot adjust to that fact.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 1 month 2 weeks ago #3405880

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3683
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think getting older comes with concerns, a person starts to get concerned about their health care,mental,physical,emotional health, their financial issues, Are they well enough and financially independent to live alone? Or will they have to live with family or go into residential care,
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 1 month 1 week ago #3410304

• man of kent
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 563
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have never rode a horse, but when I retired, I could have had lessons at half price, but declined, but I do use `shanke`s pony `.

MAGPIE.-- the bird
Last edit: by man of kent.

INDEPENDENCE & GROWING OLD 5 days 3 hours ago #3433592

• Mykle
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1347
  • Honor Medal 2010

JUJO wrote: I think getting older comes with concerns, a person starts to get concerned about their health care,mental,physical,emotional health, their financial issues, Are they well enough and financially independent to live alone? Or will they have to live with family or go into residential care,

I think that is very true, particularly on having to live alone, maybe that is selfish, but it is a permanent thing rolling round your mind. Could i cope without my wife, I dont know. Its no good saying well you have to, not as easy as that when you have been together for over 50 years. People do , people on here have done. maybe there is something in most peoples make up that clicks in and enables you to cope .
We moved here to Norway and I was 67 then, but it has been a complete change of lifestyle compared to ours in the U K . I would never imagined cutting down enormous trees in the U K or having to provide wood to burn every year. Going from a postage stamp size garden to something around quarter of an acre on the side of a mountain.
These are the things that keep you from not getting old but from feeling old, and at close to 81 are the things that I am still doing, but as my T shirt says " Never slow down"
Now all this doesnt help in the end, because I have to admit im frightened of being on my own.
There are more things but have to stop getting morbid.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds