Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Over 80? Join us in here

TOPIC: Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end?

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 7 months 5 days ago #3132990

• Rhett1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1233
  • Honor Medal 2010
I’m being shot, no way am I going into one of them hell hole care homes,Care of the elderly? PFF, I know, I had to watch my poor husband,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 7 months 5 days ago #3132993

• livingbynumbers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

livingbynumbers wrote:

RosieLeah wrote: I'm hoping I will get some warning when the end is nigh. I intend to put my affairs in order then go to Blackpool and take a one-way walk into the sea. No nursing homes for me.

In case there’s a chance of you changing your mind go to Southport instead :)

Sorry if anyone took my comment out of its intended context. Just an observation of how far you have to walk to reach the sea at Southport.

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 7 months 4 days ago #3133772

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1805
I hope and pray that this doesn’t happen to me,as everyone else does, how I will cope,in all honesty, no idea.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 7 months 3 days ago #3134233

• TwistNShout
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1433
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rhett1 wrote: I’m being shot, no way am I going into one of them hell hole care homes,Care of the elderly? PFF, I know, I had to watch my poor husband,

I have heard the same from many people. The one my father-in-law is in is lovely, though obviously there is not the one to one care that he might have elsewhere. It is seeing the effects of dementia that mean I would want to bale early if diagnosed.

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 7 months 3 days ago #3134553

• jennilin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 760
  • Honor Medal 2010
Most of us expect to lose our dignity at the end of life ?, I suspect everyone accepts that. I'm sure loved ones would want to see you leave this world with them, being there, loving you and totally accepting the situation .. I know I would xx
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA, Sweetness56

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 5 months 6 days ago #3174068

• QuinTSensual
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2104
  • Honor Medal 2010
<<< Is not concerned about my own Dignity in death, having endeavored to ensure it throughout a lifetime.
As others have posted.
There is no way I'm allowing a failed SS or NHS to determine palliative care to the end.
My primary concern, with family 300 mls [10hrs] away, is that intentions cause minimal distress to them.

"Out of the eyes and words of children, we 'may' best be known."

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 5 months 6 days ago #3174100

• Mykle
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 889
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jane R wrote: The only near certain way is to stand in front of an express train - but how much booze or courage is needed to do that? I think we all have that secret fear of old age but like millions before us we'll face whatever is in store and what will be will be.

Not so much fear of old age , more of the fact that you sometimes think about the things that you will not see finished etc. May not like the thing , but HS2. here one thing that I will be glad not to see will be the end of the Glaciers.

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 5 months 6 days ago #3174442

• Jane R
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5282
  • Honor Medal 2010

Mykle wrote:

Jane R wrote: The only near certain way is to stand in front of an express train - but how much booze or courage is needed to do that? I think we all have that secret fear of old age but like millions before us we'll face whatever is in store and what will be will be.

Not so much fear of old age , more of the fact that you sometimes think about the things that you will not see finished etc. May not like the thing , but HS2. here one thing that I will be glad not to see will be the end of the Glaciers.

The secret fear of old age I meant was as per OP., losing one's dignity,, becoming helpless, bedridden etc but yes \i have thought about things I won't see and do wish, if perfect health existed, that we could all live on - or have a second shot at life and live it all over again...but that's a different topic altogether.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sweetness56

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 3 months 4 days ago #3215648

• Marilynlw
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7
I already live in a long term care facility, see the loss of dignity many times here, but I’m grateful I live here and still have a good quality of life. Everyone is concerned about loosing their dignity, as do I , but doing physical harm isn’t my answer.. I wear a DNR bracelet and can only HOPE that will be instituted before I loose any of my dignity..

Last edit: by Marilynlw.

Do you fear "Losing Your Dignity" towards the end? 3 months 3 days ago #3216596

• Aries1950
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1306
  • Honor Medal 2010
If one never had any dignity to begin with, one has nothing whatsoever to worry about.

TELEVISION HUMOR
Keeping Up Appearances
HYACINTH'S QUOTES-2

Hyacinth (on phone with Daisy or Violet): "I once caught Richard playing with a Frisbee. He said that it was one that he found, but I've never been sure."

Hyacinth to Richard: "I will not have you thinking in front of the neighbors, Richard."
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds