Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Over 80? Join us in here

TOPIC: What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80?

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 10 months ago #2891485

• Popeye
  • Popeye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 422
  • Honor Medal 2010
In our club, there are about 30 members who have reached into their 80s.

There seems to be a common denominator in that they (over 80) are, almost, all tall and thinnish.
If I ask them, they, inevitably, say that they have always been tall & lean.
Is that the magic spell which got you to this grand age?
I note that many of them were also very involved in sport/keeping fit, but I suggest that is what tall & thin people may be more able to do.
Is there anyone who who differs?
The following user(s) said Well Said: unique

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Popeye
Last edit: by Popeye.

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 10 months ago #2891506

• Maywalk
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 93
  • Honor Medal 2010
I will be 88 this year and far from tall and thinnish.
After breaking both hips and having Rheumatoid Arthritis of the spine I have now shrunk to 4ft 10ins from the 5ft 3 ins( Cant be bothered with the metric sizing ).
As for things keeping me going its helped me to cope with life with my writing and answering folks worldwide about my war experiences. I only wish I could run about like I used to but It is not to be, but I still think I have been extremely lucky to get to the age I am now and still have my faculties.
The following user(s) said Well Said: ruddle, Jennet, Maryjoolz, unique, Popeye and 1 other people also said thanks.

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 10 months ago #2891510

• Popeye
  • Popeye's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 422
  • Honor Medal 2010

Maywalk wrote: I will be 88 this year and far from tall and thinnish.
After breaking both hips and having Rheumatoid Arthritis of the spine I have now shrunk to 4ft 10ins from the 5ft 3 ins( Cant be bothered with the metric sizing ).
As for things keeping me going its helped me to cope with life with my writing and answering folks worldwide about my war experiences. I only wish I could run about like I used to but It is not to be, but I still think I have been extremely lucky to get to the age I am now and still have my faculties.

well done, Maywalk!

Looks like my theory is going down the pan!!!

Popeye

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 10 months ago #2893350

• DaveA
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 436
  • Honor Medal 2010
I recently turned 84 but unlike the "tall and thinnish" person, I stand at 6 ft. and weigh 240. About 15 lbs. lighter than when I retired 25 year ago. Worked most of my life outside but other than that, have never spent time in a gym or engaging in any particular exercise program. My wife and I did enjoy walking up until the last few years when an old injury from my military service (back in the 50's) stared acting up.
My wife, who is now 81, has lost a couple of inches and is now at 5' - 2", and weighs in the mid 130's.

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2904801

• jennilin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
My mother is 92 and in reasonably good health . She is not tall and thin but she is very stubborn and grumbles all the time, I think that's what keeps her alive looking forward to the next grumble ! Love her to bits btw.

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2904805

• oldal
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3111
  • Honor Medal 2010

Popeye wrote: In our club, there are about 30 members who have reached into their 80s.

There seems to be a common denominator in that they (over 80) are, almost, all tall and thinnish.
If I ask them, they, inevitably, say that they have always been tall & lean.
Is that the magic spell which got you to this grand age?
I note that many of them were also very involved in sport/keeping fit, but I suggest that is what tall & thin people may be more able to do.
Is there anyone who who differs?

I'll be 81 in July, I'm 5'8" and 30 pounds overweight right now. Have been as much as 50 pounds overweight. I have diabetes, high blood pressure and eat a lot of burgers from McDonalds.

I'm convinced that stuff don't matter as much as having good genes.
The following user(s) said Well Said: snowgoose, DaveA, unique

................oldal................
“If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. “

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2904814

• Dee-Dee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Out of interest how many of you in your plus 80's..had parents who lived also into a ripe old age? :)

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2904818

• oldal
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3111
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dee-Dee wrote: Out of interest how many of you in your plus 80's..had parents who lived also into a ripe old age? :)

My father died of a heart attack at 52, my mother died of leukemia at 71.

................oldal................
“If the wind will not serve, take to the oars. “

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2904824

• Dee-Dee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

oldal wrote:

Dee-Dee wrote: Out of interest how many of you in your plus 80's..had parents who lived also into a ripe old age? :)

My father died of a heart attack at 52, my mother died of leukemia at 71.

I'm sorry to hear that oldal... but
Yes you see, that's what I was thinking, perhaps getting to be an octogenarian is not really in the genes but lifestyle ...

What Characteristics enabled you to get to be Over 80? 1 year 9 months ago #2905451

• Rhymer
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7
  • Honor Medal 2010
Born a Dorset country boy, and have enjoyed the rural life for most of my life.
My father lived to almost 95 and several of his brothers and sisters lived to be older. All worked hard in various occupations, and lived active lives despite any medical problems. My Mother died of Alzheimer's at age 85 and her 10 brothers and sisters all lived into their 80's and some.. My Sister is 85 and I am 88 and still working hard - snow shovelling my driveway and steps etc., in winter, and a two acre garden that keeps me occupied and healthy, all summer long!. Only my eyesight slows me down. Deteriorated badly, thanks to an Optician who prescribed a 'bad' drug' for cataracts! I still keep writing my poetry - use several computers - and enjoy a full day of various physical and mental activities in spite of its effects..
Rise at 6.00 am or earlier - a lifetime habit - and head for bed around 10-30 pm! A loving wife of 63 years, (87) keeps me on my toes, and enjoys our daily togethers! Walks, shopping or whatsoever we feel like doing. Her parents lived into their 80's (they came from Jersey Channel Isles and survived the German occupation.)
My thoughts are that, genes do play a part, but our daily regimen plays a vital part too! As does a healthy diet and moderation in all things! Enjoying life to the full is our motto and we stick to it unless forced to slow down. Aiming for the Century! Lol. Ciao and hope you all have a great day. Ciao Denis aka Rhymer. (Damned cold in Canada right now, but we'll survive!)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dee-Dee, Arrose100, unique, jennilin, Popeye

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds