Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tracing your ancestors

Tracing your ancestors 1 week 17 hours ago #3615415

• TwistNShout
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 207
  • Honor Medal 2010
One thing that I recently found out, the UK national archives are currently providing free downloads of lots of their records - normally there is a charge. Might be worth having a look for records of interest.

National Archives
The following user(s) said Well Said: spiritofspain, cahoots, Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Tracing your ancestors 1 week 12 hours ago #3615516

• cahoots
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2945
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've just started doing this and have a subscription with findmypast.

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted helpful tips and websites especially the library thing and national archives .

Bruce your little story is so lovely ... brought tears to my eyes too ... how wonderful to have those searching questions answered !
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem
Last edit: by cahoots.

Tracing your ancestors 5 days 16 hours ago #3616545

• spiritofspain
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 122
  • Honor Medal 2010
Perhaps this thread could be kept going ... as anyone hits an 'issue' post it up and see if the others can help.

This works for me with another ancestry project I am part of - we transcribe parish records for a 'free to use' site - only UK at the mo... but when we hit records that are hard to decipher ... we ask each other. The knowledge some people have is amazing :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

Distance today will allow us to embrace tomorrow..............

Tracing your ancestors 5 days 16 hours ago #3616571

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1483
  • Honor Medal 2010

spiritofspain wrote: Perhaps this thread could be kept going ... as anyone hits an 'issue' post it up and see if the others can help.

This works for me with another ancestry project I am part of - we transcribe parish records for a 'free to use' site - only UK at the mo... but when we hit records that are hard to decipher ... we ask each other. The knowledge some people have is amazing :ohmy:

Yes good idea. I have been after the release date of the 1921 census but I think it is heading to Findmypast.com first but I can't seem to find a date for it, someone said it will be early 2022 I am just hoping it will be sooner.
I use Ancestory.com mainly.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Tracing your ancestors 5 days 15 hours ago #3616594

• spiritofspain
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 122
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes Bruce - I also use ancestry as it is, for me, very user friendly. Have tried many of the others but they seem to falter when the size of my tree is revealed - 36K people and growing. Dont want to subdivide it as many 'inter' marriages happen. I am concentrating on just a small group of villages ... and it happens!!

However do use other resources to collaborate - for UK .. free to use = BMD.co.uk is very good after Sept 1837 and FreeGEN and FreeREG are beginning to build their libraries but again only UK.
also use findmypast as a 'free' account - they have a lot to offer - but Canada has a free to use site for all census etc material.

Its amazing what you can find out there ... when you start to search.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Distance today will allow us to embrace tomorrow..............
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds