Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 3 years 2 months ago #2366545

• Artangel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5033
  • Honor Medal 2010

Treethinker wrote: Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test.
Did you get the results you expected
Did you get any interesting results
Is it worth the money

I haven't but a friend of mine has and she and her family are thrilled with the results. She said, I should do it but I thought £200 was a lot of money to spend on it! She said, there would be a better result if my brother did the dNA test?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 3 years 2 months ago #2366572

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8191
  • Honor Medal 2010
I haven't done it but, personally, I think it would be a waste of money.
There are a variety of different types of tests but even if all of these tests were done, I think the results would be of limited use, as the amount of DNA we share with specific ancestors diminishes with each generation.

From what I have read, genetic scientists don't think much of the claims being made by these commercial companies offering Ancestry DNA testing.
Sounds like it's a lucrative business for these companies, though.

Some further reading links, if you haven't seen them already.

www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/debunking/understanding-testing

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science...ded-meaningless.html

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2782555

• Caroline Anita
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I haven`t but have been considering doing so. Ancestry charge £79.00 I think. I am dubious though.

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2782719

• Marker2you
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1512
  • Honor Medal 2010
I've taken the US version, and its been great. Since I have an interest in genealogy, I can confirm much of the data that was reported.............the genetic matches that came back were verifiable.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Caroline Anita

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2782777

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3523
  • Honor Medal 2010

Artangel wrote:

Treethinker wrote: Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test.
Did you get the results you expected
Did you get any interesting results
Is it worth the money

I haven't but a friend of mine has and she and her family are thrilled with the results. She said, I should do it but I thought £200 was a lot of money to spend on it! She said, there would be a better result if my brother did the dNA test?

I am wondering if brothers and sisters would get different results.

If you have Norwegian and Italian ancestry, for instance, and if your brother has dark hair and brown eyes, and you have blonde hair and blue eyes wouldn't your test show a greater percentage on the Norwegian side, and his
show more Italian.?

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2782778

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Marker2you wrote: I've taken the US version, and its been great. Since I have an interest in genealogy, I can confirm much of the data that was reported.............the genetic matches that came back were verifiable.

I would like to try it next year after I save up some money.

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2783073

• snowgoose
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 595
  • Honor Medal 2010
I did the Ancestry one, apart from one surprise not very impressed, claimed it showed a large percent of IRISH decent, well both sides of the family are in fact Scottish, BUT as the Irish are reputed to be early scotts then it could be fact.
The one surprise I mentioned tho, really did stun me, I had spent some 7 year searching for my Fathers 1/2 sister who moved to Canada around the 30s.
Thro a contact I made in Canada I eventually found her family tho sadly she had passed on only a couple of years before. I visited in 2014, but the surprise was in the DNA the ELDEST of her Daughters showed up as the first name on the DNA profile, so they at least got that right, then when I contacted Canada the new cousin said I had shown up on hers.So had we not known of each other it would have been a nice surprise.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jennet, Caroline Anita

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 6 months ago #2783314

• Caroline Anita
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you for the information Snowgoose... it seems it might be worth the plunge then?

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 5 months ago #2800552

• Skeeter Bite
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 329
  • Honor Medal 2010
I took the autosomal DNA test from Ancestry. It’s $100 in the U.S. and £79 in the U.K. It’s primarily for genealogical information in that it tests 22 pairs of numbered chromosomes plus the X or Y (sex determinate) chromosome. The test provided a number of interesting results. I took the data provided by Ancestry and uploaded it to FTDNA.com as well as MYHERITAGE.com. They all have differing statistical results based on how far back as well as how many DNA samples have been contributed. These are the results:

From Ancestry DNA

From Family Tree DNA

From My Heritage

All charts were using the same data. The differences are due to how far back the samples are represented. The U.S. chart represents the genetic group I belong to starting approximately the year 1800.
Attachments:

Gravity... not just a good idea, it's the law!

Has anyone taken the British version of the Ancestry DNA test 1 year 5 months ago #2800558

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Skeeter Bite wrote: I took the autosomal DNA test from Ancestry. It’s $100 in the U.S. and £79 in the U.K. It’s primarily for genealogical information in that it tests 22 pairs of numbered chromosomes plus the X or Y (sex determinate) chromosome. The test provided a number of interesting results. I took the data provided by Ancestry and uploaded it to FTDNA.com as well as MYHERITAGE.com. They all have differing statistical results based on how far back as well as how many DNA samples have been contributed. These are the results:

From Ancestry DNA

From Family Tree DNA

From My Heritage

All charts were using the same data. The differences are due to how far back the samples are represented. The U.S. chart represents the genetic group I belong to starting approximately the year 1800.

Interesting.
I might take one in the future.

Do you know what your blood type is?

• Page:
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.