Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Proposal for a Room of Free Expression

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568020

• AntiqueLace1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1462
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can't track comments well on this tiny phone, I do better on my laptop. BUT whom is this Leadbetter person?

Is this mostly about wanting to swear, talk about sex and that sort of freedom of speech, exactly what is the
problem? We dont want buzz to become some sort of swearing, sexual live and let live forum, chat rooms.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Keeper, RichardA
The topic has been locked.

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568026

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2695
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rob1960 wrote: I do not generally use the forums , my point has been made with reference to the chat rooms throughout !

Why do you feel inhibited in chatrooms.
As I understand you’re free to discuss any topic as long as it’s legal , doesn’t set out to belittle or hurt other chatters .
If it’s just a matter of using expletive’s you’re on the wrong site.
The following user(s) said Well Said: shrubby, cahoots, Keeper, RichardA

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568027

• RichardA
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 833
  • Honor Medal 2010

AntiqueLace1 wrote: I can't track comments well on this tiny phone, I do better on my laptop. BUT whom is this Leadbetter person?

Is this mostly about wanting to swear, talk about sex and that sort of freedom of speech, exactly what is the
problem? We dont want buzz to become some sort of swearing, sexual live and let live forum, chat rooms.

Margo Leadbetter': Penelope Keith's comic triumph on The Good Life
She’s a snob, a bully, a social climber and no doubt would be delighted by the emergence of Ukip.

Now you know what a 'Margo Leadbetter' is at least.
The following user(s) said Well Said: AntiqueLace1
Last edit: by RichardA.

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568086

• Starfish
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 319
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm not so sure if the OP predominantly thinks of expletives and the use of language in general. He talks about the need of "fresh ideas" and wants less censorship whatever that may be. Perhaps Rob means less contradiction? The call for "freedom of speech" and "fresh ideas" has been a familiar sound for some time. So he may be having other things in mind, too. Missing like-minded people with an agenda?
"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568117

• Rob1960
  • Rob1960's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Well said received: 22
As has been said there are any number of places on net to partake in and talk about sex , if that yer bag fine go there , fill your boots. I am in now way suggesting that , don’t make the mistake I am suggesting that or the promotion of other nerds wells.

Language , some subjects just have vocabulary that is adult in content , currently in the normal chat rooms words are continually bleeped , they maybe words that some or some countries see as profanity or offensive which is fine. But I don’t why in normal debate these words need to be bleeped out .
So I can now see that this place is very conservative in its attitudes and approaches , maybe that will change over time or not , results of that time only will tell. But as society evolves and changes and as new generations become older and move into places such as this I would suspect the membership will decline ( I don’t know if it’s true but a buzzer told me that in recent years membership has declined this person has been here for 8 years or more and seemed to have a good grip of what goes on ) unless of course things change to meet new demographics.

I will just wander along with the flow , and will continue to chat , happy in the knowledge that I sparked some debate , now to think of some other subject to stick my metaphorical finger in the wasps nest of .

Merry Christmas one and all , stay safe and healthy in these trying times !
Last edit: by Pats. Reason: Moderator/moderation references removed as per rules.

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568150

• NewTricks
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 760
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think you have a point, what's wrong with a bit of Banter and the odd profanity, as long as the membership are aware that this particular chat room is designated for that.
Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!
Last edit: by Pats. Reason: Moderation references removed as per rules

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568168

• Lightyear
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 26
  • Honor Medal 2010
Why would you even want such a room? Every civilized society needs to abide by basic rules - which we have here on Buzz50 and Mods ensure that we stick to the rules - although they are not infallable by any means - and cannot always be around to police everything that is said. But on the whole they do a pretty good job I think - and Buzz50 is all the better for having Mods and Admin around.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Pats, RichardA, Starfish, Hoot N Annie

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568245

• shrubby
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 516
  • Honor Medal 2010
An open room has been tried before callled Fast & Furious where anything was allowed and it lasted less than a few days because Mike reallized the consequences of giving people leniency which was taken advantage of and wasn' what he wanted on his Site Lenient moderation is also taken to the limits by some so the answer is No we don't need this open type of room
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Pascalou, Pats, QuinTSensual, RichardA, Hoot N Annie

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 3 days ago #3568256

• Pascalou
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 3154
  • Honor Medal 2010

shrubby wrote: An open room has been tried before callled Fast & Furious where anything was allowed and it lasted less than a few days because Mike reallized the consequences of giving people leniency which was taken advantage of and wasn' what he wanted on his Site Lenient moderation is also taken to the limits by some so the answer is No we don't need this open type of room

True Shrubby that is certainly not something that Mike would have wanted, neither Mila for that matter , and since it is their site, it will not happen.
This is a British Site with British standards and members are fully aware of that when they join.
Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Pats, Clockwork Satsuma, RichardA, AntiqueLace1, Hoot N Annie

Proposal for a Room of Free Expression 1 month 2 days ago #3568405

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5095
  • Honor Medal 2010
On that note and now that all sides have had the opportunity to make their comments known, we can now close this thread as the suggestion posed is inappropriate for Buzz for the foreseeable future.

This thread is now locked.

Thank you for your comments.

Pats. admin.
Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds