Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Books we have read or want to read.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959619

• JeanneP
  • JeanneP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I would like to also have a forum going somewhere. Have no idea if there has ever been one on here.

Just to talk about books we have read. Names of good ones read by others.. What we thought of the story. Same with good movies. or even bad ones not worth seeing.
I still try to follow English writers or Scotch.Irish. Now after years I am running out of names. Many seem to be passing and so I need to know about new ones coming up. Its very easy to find most books written and printed in UK over here in my library.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959623

• whimsy112
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
There's an excellent book by European author Herman Koch called "The Dinner." This book has been compared to Gillian Flynn's best seller "Gone Girl" as being almost as riveting. I read "Gone Girl" quite a while back and it was quite a roller coaster ride of suspense, and very thrilling. "The Dinner" is turning out to be in the same vein and very gripping as well.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959625

• smilesrus10
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 5377
  • Honor Medal 2010
Hi Jeanne, yes there is a Book section in Leisure. I will move this thread there :)

You can't force a person to show you respect but you can refuse to tolerate their disrespect

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959630

• Aysia
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Having read "Wake" by Amanda Hocking as book one of her Watersong series I now want to read her second book "Lullaby"

Amanda Hocking is 28, lives in Minnesota, had never sold a book before April 2010 and has now sold her millionth.

Also reading atm 11.22.63 by Stephen King "The day that changed the world" What if you could change it back?

King has been described as Americas greatest living novelist
Jakes friend Al who runs the local diner,divulges an extraordinary secret:his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane- and insanely possible- mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination...if you had the chance to change history ,would you ? Would the consequences be worth it?

This is a great read so far..........

Last edit: by Aysia.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959633

• whimsy112
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Aysia, :)

I think Stephen King is excellent too. I have just ordered the book you are talking about. I was hoping it would arrive by the weekend, but so far no luck. I can't wait to read it.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959636

• Aysia
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You will love it im sure Whimsy .....its a mega thick book so will probably last me a couple of weeks..

Enjoy it when it arrives :)

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959639

• Septuagenarian
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am a history buff and just finished reading GRANT by Jean Edward Smith. It's an excellent biography of U.S. Grant one of the most under rated presidents (two terms) of the United States and it's first four star general. Grants own book called Memoirs is also an outstanding read and has won international acclaim.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959682

• CAJ
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 803
  • Honor Medal 2010
If you want a really gripping - and thick! - book, read I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. This is the review, and it's one of the best books of its genre I've ever read -

Can you commit the perfect crime?

Pilgrim is the codename for a man who doesn't exist. The adopted son of a wealthy American family, he once headed up a secret espionage unit for US intelligence. Before he disappeared into anonymous retirement, he wrote the definitive book on forensic criminal investigation.

But that book will come back to haunt him. It will help NYPD detective Ben Bradley track him down. And it will take him to a rundown New York hotel room where the body of a woman is found facedown in a bath of acid, her features erased, her teeth missing, her fingerprints gone. It is a textbook murder - and Pilgrim wrote the book.

What begins as an unusual and challenging investigation will become a terrifying race-against-time to save America from oblivion. Pilgrim will have to make a journey from a public beheading in Mecca to a deserted ruins on the Turkish coast via a Nazi death camp in Alsace and the barren wilderness of the Hindu Kush in search of the faceless man who would commit an appalling act of mass murder in the name of his God.
The following user(s) said Well Said: whimsy112

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959728

• preesboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi

Much of my working life has been spent reading highly technical tracts.

I do like to turn off , so my personal reading is very light hearted.

I do enjoy Terry Pratchett and his Discworld Novels.

He is an acute observer of life, with a very funny turn of phrase.

He has an Oblong Office, not an Oval Office.

Ladies of the Night are called Ladies of Negotiable Affection, the more you pay them, the more affectionate they become.

For those of you who are interested in different cultures, John Burdett is a good observer of the Buddhist way of life.

Bangkok, drug dealers, red light area, corruption, but absolutely fascinating and highly recommended by the Washington Post.

Books we have read or want to read. 4 years 11 months ago #1959759

• Paul_W
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am an atheist, but one of these years I am going to get round to reading the Bible. Whose Bible I haven't yet decided.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds