Reading something I don't like 3 weeks 14 hours ago #3686567

• Summerdancing
  • Summerdancing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 248
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: A few paragraphs seems a bit soon to ditch it

I would give it perhaps the first few chapters or 50ish pages - have ditched a book occasionally after that sort of start.

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favourite books of all time, have read it 3 times - and that's coming from someone who next to never re reads books.

The sequel World Without End was good but nowhere near as good.

Couple more in the series but have not read them yet.

Would never join a book club myself - am too slow of a reader, and I like choosing my own books

Would rather join a discussion of a book after I have read it - say, on Goodreads.

I enjoyed the Pillars of the Earth--and really liked the essay that went with it.

Book clubs aren't for everyone--and for me, they have to be structured and focussed. Otherwise, it ends up being a social meeting and the book gets ignored.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vegemite Kid

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Reading something I don't like 2 weeks 6 days ago #3687511

• Elizabeth
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 111
This is where Google books is so useful. You can read the first few pages of a book before deciding whether or not to buy it.
Having an idea for a good story is not enough to make a book enjoyable. So much depends on the way the book is written, the style of writing and the level of education the author has. Rather like a tv documentary, which features a really interesting subject but is ruined by the commentary.

Reading something I don't like 2 weeks 5 days ago #3688203

• Summerdancing
  • Summerdancing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 248
  • Honor Medal 2010

Elizabeth wrote: This is where Google books is so useful. You can read the first few pages of a book before deciding whether or not to buy it.
Having an idea for a good story is not enough to make a book enjoyable. So much depends on the way the book is written, the style of writing and the level of education the author has. Rather like a tv documentary, which features a really interesting subject but is ruined by the commentary.

My major complaint about this particular novel is that it is written in a style I do not like--the story, when the author finally gets to it, is compelling.

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds