• Page:

TOPIC: Historical Fiction

Historical Fiction 2 days 7 hours ago #3597332

• Vicki1956
  • Vicki1956's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7
I’m new here, and just wondered if anyone reads historical fiction. The last few years I’ve read a lot from that genre, especially books about WWII. I always try to read up on facts about whatever historical event the book involves. I’ve learned so much about what happened in Europe, especially in England and France during WWII. And of course Germany and Poland. “The Nightingale” and “Lilac Girls” are two of my absolute favorites! My dad, who was in the US Navy during WWII in the Pacific Theatre, always said that the citizens of the US could not have endured what the British citizens had to. I didn’t really understand what he meant until I started learning the details. So horrible. Almost unbelievable!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, oldal, Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Historical Fiction 2 days 4 hours ago #3597376

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1500
  • Honor Medal 2010
You could go on amazon,type in wartime family saga,see what comes up,
Good Luck
No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Historical Fiction 1 day 23 hours ago #3597468

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 540
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have read a lot about wwii. I have read stories from a lot of different countries and some are down right horrific.
Robin

Historical Fiction 1 day 16 hours ago #3597592

• Minnesota Mike
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 146
Welcome to the site.

I have not read much about WWII, but I do read historical fiction. I have enjoyed mystery novels set in the Middle Ages.
The older I get, the more I value kindness.

Historical Fiction 1 day 15 hours ago #3597626

• GerryM
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 662
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are a collection of 26 books set in the 1300s in England. Protagonist is a knight and former Templar. His name is Baldwin. I can't recalled the books or the author. It tells in great detail about the farmers, knights, kings, the rich. They follow history and very entertaining.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Minnesota Mike, SimplyRobin42

Historical Fiction 1 day 15 hours ago #3597628

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1463
  • Honor Medal 2010
Welcome aboard Vicki1956.
I have read up on a lot of WW2 stuff and it is amazing some of the things you can learn, I was fascinated reading about how the US mainly went straight in to Berlin and the Brits were split and some sent off to Holland at the end of 1944, I thought why Holland? And when I read it was to rescue prisoners of war as those prisoners wouldn't have lasted another 24/48 hours and to liberate Holland from the Nazis I got more and more in to it.
There is so much history we can learn from that time.
My best history lesson was living next door to a chap who when I was 28/30 he was 70+ and he lived through it all and he explained to me why he refused to join the hitler youth and how he used to get spat at and kicked and refused entry in to the dances as in his village they all knew who was in and who wouldn't join, He told me about being used as cannon fodder until 1943 when he got captured by the Brits and sent off to a POW camp in the US. His story before during and after WW2 had me sitting like a child crossed leg on the school matt listening to the teacher telling a story.
I also sat in hospital a few years back chatting to a lady who iirc was 105 years old and she told me stories from her childhood all through to when she says it all went wrong for people in the 70s a fascinating lady who lived through the last 100+ years which we can only read about. I was honoured to be in their company.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Historical Fiction 1 day 14 hours ago #3597631

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2815
  • Honor Medal 2010
I like historical fiction - well researched books which then personalise the time and place - either with telling a story of real known people or fictional people or a mixture of both.

Most recent one I read was The Darkest Shore by Karen Brooks - main character is fictional but most of the others are real people and based on the real witch hunt of Pittenweem, Scotland in the early eighteenth century.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Historical Fiction 1 day 14 hours ago #3597636

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1463
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: I like historical fiction - well researched books which then personalise the time and place - either with telling a story of real known people or fictional people or a mixture of both.

Most recent one I read was The Darkest Shore by Karen Brooks - main character is fictional but most of the others are real people and based on the real witch hunt of Pittenweem, Scotland in the early eighteenth century.

White House Farm I watched on Netflix about a true murder case which has all sorts of twists in it, Well worth a watch if you can get it in your neck of the woods.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Historical Fiction 16 hours 14 minutes ago #3598019

• Minnesota Mike
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 146

GerryM wrote: There are a collection of 26 books set in the 1300s in England. Protagonist is a knight and former Templar. His name is Baldwin. I can't recalled the books or the author. It tells in great detail about the farmers, knights, kings, the rich. They follow history and very entertaining.

Interesting! I have read books in a different series, by Maureen Ash. They are mysteries, set in Medieval Lincoln, and they also involve a Templar as a protagonist.
The older I get, the more I value kindness.

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds