Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: When you finish a novel

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3482950

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1715
  • Honor Medal 2010
I can't see why online borrowing would be affected??

Wasn't here.

Some libraries had click and collect too, - so you could order your books online or by phone and you can browse online to decide what you want to borrow and if it is available - and then just go to counter to collect it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483001

• Summerdancing
  • Summerdancing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 349
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: I can't see why online borrowing would be affected??

Wasn't here.

Some libraries had click and collect too, - so you could order your books online or by phone and you can browse online to decide what you want to borrow and if it is available - and then just go to counter to collect it.

I've never borrowed a book online so I don't know if the library closes, that means their online library also closes. On line borrowing is different--you order the book and read it on your kindle/koboo or whatever device you have. Not sure if that is what you're referring to or the online ordering and picking up. We didn't have that at our libraries.

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483006

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2270
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am an avid reader,absolutely love reading, I enjoy reading family saga,true story,
I always have books ready to be read, when I finish a book.
No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483030

• Polliyana
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 518
  • Honor Medal 2010
Anyone who as not read 'War Horse' should it's not like either the film or the stage show. Personally, it's made a huge impression on me, look at horses through different 'eyes' maybe that's the romantic in me.

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483088

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Summerdancing wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: I can't see why online borrowing would be affected??

Wasn't here.

I've never borrowed a book online so I don't know if the library closes, that means their online library also closes. On line borrowing is different--you order the book and read it on your kindle/koboo or whatever device you have. Not sure if that is what you're referring to or the online ordering and picking up. We didn't have that at our libraries.

I was referring to both.

Click and collect being order online or by phone and then go to physical library to collect the physical book.
Some libraries here were doing that, even in lockdown. You couldn't go in and browse but you could collect pre ordered books at the counter.

Yes I know Online borrowing of ebooks is different- I do that all the time and read them on my ipad. Cant see why that would stop n lockdown as the physical library doesnt have to be open at all for that to happen.
Certainly didnt stop here.

Actually here e borrowing isnt connected to your local library anyway - you justt have to be a member of any local library in the state and you can borrow from the whole states range.

Here in South Australia e borrowing isnt conenctedto teh local library anyway -

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483122

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Ignore last sentence, just noticed I wrote half of it twice and too late to edit. :blush:

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 5 days ago #3483133

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2414
  • Honor Medal 2010
When i use to walk to the library regularly I’d to pick out about six books all fiction.
First check to see what condition they were in ... I love new books.
I’d limit myself to 6 because they get heavy to carry
iI I can’t get into a book it’s not a page turner , after a few chapters I give up..
At home I’d tip the books on the table often to find I had already read a couple , out of my choice of 6 books it was a success if read one .
Thank goodness for e-readers.

Last edit: by Rips.

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 4 days ago #3483529

• Shadowman
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 322
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have not been good at stopping the reading of a book once I have committed to it, but I have a few times. I tried Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility twice, once getting to about page 10 and another time around page 12. Compared to Pride and Prejudice, the father in Sense and Sensibility was lucky - he died on page one. :-) Some I suffered through because it seemed the rest of the world had read them, such as Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, all 1074 pages. And I do have a penchant for reading utopian and dystopian literature. Rand has a bit of that in her long-winded ramblings. I think if I ever take up a religion with confessions, I will present the confessor with a list of things I have read, Sartre, Camus, Bertrand Russell, Hobbes, etc. ;-)

I have now finished the Oklahoma City book and am on to one of the few I have not read from one of my favorite writers, Loren C. Eiseley. It is an autobiography called All the Strange Hours. Happy reading.
"I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you." Nietzsche

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 4 days ago #3484004

• Summerdancing
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Shadowman wrote: I have not been good at stopping the reading of a book once I have committed to it, but I have a few times. I tried Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility twice, once getting to about page 10 and another time around page 12. Compared to Pride and Prejudice, the father in Sense and Sensibility was lucky - he died on page one. :-) Some I suffered through because it seemed the rest of the world had read them, such as Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, all 1074 pages. And I do have a penchant for reading utopian and dystopian literature. Rand has a bit of that in her long-winded ramblings. I think if I ever take up a religion with confessions, I will present the confessor with a list of things I have read, Sartre, Camus, Bertrand Russell, Hobbes, etc. ;-)

I have now finished the Oklahoma City book and am on to one of the few I have not read from one of my favorite writers, Loren C. Eiseley. It is an autobiography called All the Strange Hours. Happy reading.

Smiling at your experience with Austen. I enjoy her observations. I had to read Sartre and Camus..... gad..... and can't remember much about either of them.....and I did read Ayn Rand as well....can't remember much of those either..... jeeesh....

I just finished reading Suzanne Collins latest in the Hunger Games series. Well written and compelling story telling.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Shadowman

When you finish a novel 2 weeks 4 days ago #3484006

• Summerdancing
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rips wrote: When i use to walk to the library regularly I’d to pick out about six books all fiction.
First check to see what condition they were in ... I love new books.
I’d limit myself to 6 because they get heavy to carry
iI I can’t get into a book it’s not a page turner , after a few chapters I give up..
At home I’d tip the books on the table often to find I had already read a couple , out of my choice of 6 books it was a success if read one .
Thank goodness for e-readers.

Lol--ereaders--yes they do make sense. Though I admit, I do like holding a 3D book..... and isn't it annoying to get a book and realize you've read it? Or it can be a joy.....

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds