Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book?

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464544

• Duke
  • Duke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 13
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well,in my opinion ,I consider it as reading,just different, I’ sure some of you will think I am full of (well you know what), but that’s my opinion..lol Let’s discuss it!
I’m going to put on my ‘flak jacket’ and listen to what you think...lol
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, T65KBK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464569

• BlushingOrchid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3544
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have not yet used an audio book, good topic though smile.png
"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them"
The following user(s) said Well Said: T65KBK

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464570

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7652
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think it is different but I enjoy both.
I particularly enjoy listening to audiobooks when my hands and eyes are engaged in doing something else, like sewing or knitting or gardening.
I sometimes listen to old favourite classic novels, like Jane Austen, via audiobook and the way the reader vocalises the words and different voices of the characters can add an extra dimension to a story I know almost by heart.
Step by step, one goes a long way.

Last edit: by Eira.

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464590

• Graham
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 436
  • Honor Medal 2010
To me, they are two aspects of the same thing. Nice to read a book, although most of my books are on a Kindle, but I have a lot of audiobooks on my Ipod I keep in my car, which I spend most of my working life in and helps to pass away the tedious long journeys.

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464598

• Duke
  • Away
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
And a good narrator really adds to the enjoyment of the book!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Eira

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464601

• T65KBK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7588
  • Honor Medal 2010
Sometimes I like to read a book and let the characters and the story unfold themselves at the speed I need for enjoyment. I can skip read and devour at a fast pace or read slowly and re-read to savour or understand the text.
An audio book can offer a new dimension to a story and provide new pathways to explore the narrative especially if the reader's voice has an expressive quality about it. e.g.

Richard Burton Reading Under Milkwood, Dylan Thomas
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira

Last edit: by T65KBK.

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464604

• Pheobe
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1158
  • Honor Medal 2010
Never listened to an audio book, I think I would fall asleep lol. I remember my kids getting book cassette tapes from the library years ago, they really enjoyed them. My son listens to audio books on his way to work in the car.
I think, if you have enough inner resources, then you can live in isolation for long periods of time and not feel diminished by it.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464608

• T65KBK
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7588
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pheobe wrote: Never listened to an audio book, I think I would fall asleep lol. I remember my kids getting book cassette tapes from the library years ago, they really enjoyed them. My son listens to audio books on his way to work in the car.

Lol, they're not all as soporific as Richard and Under Milkwood but I find his voice mesmerising ... no wonder Liz fell for him!

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464619

• Aviara
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3082
  • Honor Medal 2010

Duke wrote: Well,in my opinion ,I consider it as reading,just different, I’ sure some of you will think I am full of (well you know what), but that’s my opinion..lol Let’s discuss it!
I’m going to put on my ‘flak jacket’ and listen to what you think...lol

Why would you think you needed a flak jacket Duke ? Lol.

Audio Books seem to have become very popular over the last few years. My sister who is an avid reader mentioned just recently that she was quite enjoying the newly discovered, for her, world of audio books lol. I read mostly on my Kindle now, just easier on my eyes, but also love the experience of feeling a ‘real’ book in my hands :). We tried an audio book a few years ago while in the car on a very long and boring 7 hr drive ....I don’t know if it was the narrator or the dreariness of the surrounding countryside, but I quickly tuned out and became bored ....husband on the other hand, got totally enthralled with the story and consequently I had no company at all on the long drive LOL

Do you consider listening to an audiobook the same as reading a book? 1 week 2 days ago #3464623

• Duke
  • Away
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Av...try another audiobook. Some are just a few hours long. Don’t give up,yet...lol
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aviara

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds