TOPIC: Audiobooks, Anyone?

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259556

• Fyrefox
  • Fyrefox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 953
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have to confess that I was skeptical about audiobooks until recently...who wanted to have a book read to them when they're perfectly capable of reading themselves?! That changed when Amazon gave me a free audiobook as an enticement, without even having to try a 30-day trial in their "Audible" club. After ignoring the free book's presence for a while, I played it through my "Echo" speaker as I was resting in bed, and was slowly hooked!

Audiobooks are enjoyable for when you're too tired to read, but still want some mental engagement as you rest. Many of the readers are gifted, and bring a note of dramatic reading to their presentation, which enlivens their performance. You are reading and digesting a book through listening, which can be done in any non-intrusive environment. They are a descendant of "books on tape" or those recorded on compact discs.

The downside is that audiobooks can be expensive to acquire, far more so than a standard paper or e-book. To get around this, it's possible to get recordings of older, more obscure, or classic books for free or at a greatly reduced rate through public libraries or certain "apps" on computer devices. I'm still debating as to whether to take the plunge and join an audiobooks club such as "Audible" through Amazon, which requires a $15 monthly membership fee but provides your choice of a monthly book plus additional special content.

Has anyone else out there dabbled with audiobooks, and do you like them?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Sirfurryanimal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers." -- Ruth Brown

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259565

• FelisConcolor
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 122
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have used Audio books. Like you say whilst reading is something to enjoy there are times when your eyes are not up for the challenge and yet you want that stimulation.
I have bought one or two for my own pleasure which at the time were reasonably priced, but have not yet indulged in joining a Audiobook Club.

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259570

• Rain
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1282
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have always loved audiobooks going right back to when they were available on cassette tapes. Now I have been a member of Audible for about three years. I pay a set fee every month and can choose any audiobook once a month. I can also pay for additional audiobooks.

I am also an author. It was a dream of mine to have my stories on audiobooks and a year ago I made that dream come true with two of my books.

Although I am an amateur singer, my speaking voice is not warm or interesting enough for me to be a narrator so I hired voice over readers to read the books for me.

The process of auditioning the readers was so enjoyable. Each reader who applied for the job read the same piece which I had carefully selected. There are readers with fabulous voices out there. I really took my time over choosing each narrator and I believe they are both wonderful to listen to, one being suited to my memoir and one being suited to my fictional novel.

During the recording, each reader and I went to immense trouble to be sure everything was perfect. I am very proud of these two audiobooks. The whole process was incredibly enjoyable and I plan to turn more of my books into 'talking books' very soon.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Maryjoolz

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259654

• Rose57
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1625
  • Honor Medal 2010
I often have to drive long distances for medical and loose my radio station. So I turned to audio books. I usually get my books free via my public library, listen via overdrive or Libby. hoopla gives you 7 free books, 7 free movies each month.
I also have amazon prime and get free audio books thru them. Recently I just found a free service meaning no monthly fee and reduced prices ranging from 99-4.50. Called Chirp. Hope this helps

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. – Robin Williams

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259714

• eleramune
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1616
  • Honor Medal 2010
I tried one time and I really didn't enjoy it. For some reason I got really distracted during the reading and found my mind wondering around instead of listening. I didn't feel engaged and it didn't capture my attention at all.

When I go for a long rides, I prefer to listen to podcasts.

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 4 weeks ago #3259805

• Graham
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 574
  • Honor Medal 2010
I listen to a lot of audiobooks. My job is either one third driving, or on some days, two thirds driving. My Ipod has over a dozen novels and I listen to the lot whilst on the road. I'm always on the lookout for new novels to listen to.

Audiobooks, Anyone? 3 months 2 weeks ago #3269136

• Fyrefox
  • Fyrefox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 953
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well, I did take the plunge, and joined Audible. Their monthly fee is about the price of a dinner out, but the satisfaction lasts much longer! It's just the ticket for that time in bed when you're too tired to read, but still want mental engagement. I also enjoy Audible's "Great Lectures" series, for example "Everyday Life in the Ancient World." Some of those series run almost twenty hours, which is a lot of listening on a topic of personal choice that's educational as well as entertaining.

I've also bought a few audiobooks from Chirp, which commendably doesn't require monthly membership fees. While their selection isn't as large with authors often lesser known, their prices for purchases are quite reasonable, and they make a nice supplement.-- It's all good! smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sirfurryanimal, Rose57

"A fox is a wolf who sends flowers." -- Ruth Brown

Audiobooks, Anyone? 2 months 2 weeks ago #3288943

• Tachyon
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1635
  • Honor Medal 2010
My mother and I both use a phone app called Libby to access audio books for free from our local library. (Other apps exist) She uses it all the time when having a lie-in or when she wakes too early, but I haven't used it much myself. I sleep like a log but can't seem to lie-in these days!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

Audiobooks, Anyone? 2 months 2 weeks ago #3289012

• Maryjoolz
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 466
  • Honor Medal 2010
i have got Alan Bennets audio life story which he reads himself .. i really enjoyed it .. i see loads of audio books in the charity shops i frequent ..
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57

Audiobooks, Anyone? 2 months 1 week ago #3292019

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2875
  • Honor Medal 2010
Audio books are becoming very popular,especially with people who have sight impairment.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rose57, MoonlitRoads63

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds