Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: For the love of books.

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3213560

• Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
For me, a book is not just the words contained within, but an object of worth in its own right, often with a story to tell.
Do you own any old or antique books that are special to you, or do you have a cherished signed copy from your favourite author?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3213657

• Mykle
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1050
  • Honor Medal 2010
Nothing old or antique, but I do tend to keep books and re read them , its amazing what you miss first time round.
I could NEVER go for online books, I love to hold the book particularly with Hard back ones.
I think the oldest one i have is about 1850, cant put my hand on it at moment, It has many signatures and names in it from a Worcestershire family from Grimley.its one of theses old books where it is difficult to read as they are all these old words and pronunciations .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davegem

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3214443

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 6964
  • Honor Medal 2010
A real treasure to French people Davegem is the collection '' La Pléiade".smile.png

French cherish books.

Many French kids have a very limited access to computer at home, due to rather strict supervision.
Books are still every much encouraged from a young age and when you go in the Paris underground it says it all you still see many people in books and magazines instead of tablets and games.

Many French kids are subscribers to French magazines from age 4 till adulthood. These magazines are very different from the Brits ones for teens about fashion, make up etc... they only deal with society, news, environment.politics, geography and science but explained in a vocabulary adapted to each group age.

I must say I got my first expensive collection of books at aged 15. From the great publisher Jean de Bonnot
Beautiful engraved hard cover ( in lamb's skin), and gold plated pages borders, beautiful paper quality and printing quality as well.
These were the classics of Chinese literature with one page in French ( from the best quality translators) and one in Chinese.

Books such as
The Lao Tseu '' Dao De JIng'' or Tao Te King ( Classic of the path and virtue from Laotseu)
And the Confucian Analect. ( Lun yu)

I had this Dao De Tching special collection book ordered for my youngest son for Christmas and he loved it.
www.jeandebonnot.fr/auteurs/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips, Davegem

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by pascalou.

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3214453

• Rips
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5526
  • Honor Medal 2010
What fabulously handsome books Pasca
Especially Rimbaud Arthur’s Poesies would look amazing on my coffee table
But no they are heirlooms to read and treasure .

I’ve my 2 sons books from their childhood , Where’s Wally collection, Noddy , Mister men , Cat in the hat , Stig of the dump are just a few. Not old but precious to me.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Davegem

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3214460

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rips wrote: What fabulously handsome books Pasca
Especially Rimbaud Arthur’s Poesies would look amazing on my coffee table
But no they are heirlooms to read and treasure .

I’ve my 2 sons books from their childhood , Where’s Wally collection, Noddy , Mister men , Cat in the hat , Stig of the dump are just a few. Not old but precious to me.

I still have my "Dandy" and "Beano" books somewhere! :blush:

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3214464

• Davegem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

pascalou wrote: A real treasure to French people Davegem is the collection '' La Pléiade".smile.png

French cherish books.

Many French kids have a very limited access to computer at home, due to rather strict supervision.
Books are still every much encouraged from a young age and when you go in the Paris underground it says it all you still see many people in books and magazines instead of tablets and games.

Many French kids are subscribers to French magazines from age 4 till adulthood. These magazines are very different from the Brits ones for teens about fashion, make up etc... they only deal with society, news, environment.politics, geography and science but explained in a vocabulary adapted to each group age.

I must say I got my first expensive collection of books at aged 15. From the great publisher Jean de Bonnot
Beautiful engraved hard cover ( in lamb's skin), and gold plated pages borders, beautiful paper quality and printing quality as well.
These were the classics of Chinese literature with one page in French ( from the best quality translators) and one in Chinese.

Books such as
The Lao Tseu '' Dao De JIng'' Tao Te King ( Classic of the path and virtue from Laotseu)
And the Confucian Analect. ( Lun yu)

I had this Dao De Tching special collection book ordered for my youngest son for Christmas and he loved it.
www.jeandebonnot.fr/auteurs/

Thanks for that post Pascalou, those books look amazing!
I was recently helping a friend clear one of his barns, and we came across a few boxes of old books he wanted to throw out, needless to say, i found them a home!
One of them was a copy called "Paterson's roads" , It's nearly 200 years old, and lists every coaching route in the UK, and the Inns available on the journey. Such a wonderful thing! (and worth a few hundred quid to boot!)
Attachments:

For the love of books. 5 months 1 week ago #3215281

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2771
I don’t own an antique or old books,but I am an avid reader, reading can and is educational.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davegem

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

For the love of books. 2 weeks 4 days ago #3306256

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2771
For anyone looking for good books to read,I can highly recommend these books,

The Angels of Lovely Lane Book one by Nadine Dorries
1950s nursing saga, story continues throughout all books.
The children of Lovely Lane Book Two by Nadine
The mothers of Lovely Lane Book Three by Nadine Dorries
Christmas Angels Book Four by Nadine Dorries
Snow Angels Book Five by Nadine Dorries

Ongoing story throughout all books,
Absolutely fantastic, very addictive,once you start reading,you cannot put the book down.

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds