TOPIC: The Alchemist.

The Alchemist. 2 months 5 days ago #3133942

• Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2144
  • Honor Medal 2010
Has anyone read "the Alchemist" by the Brazilian author Paulo Coelho ?
A beautifully written tale about the search for meaning, finding love and much more.
(I found my copy recently, given to me by an old Swiss lady in my village, sorting through my books. I was particularly broke that week, and as I flicked through the book a 20 euro note dropped out, along with an envelope containing flower seeds, labelled in my friend's neat handwriting. How had I missed them on my first reading of the book? It was a spooky, lovely moment. I re-read the book in thanks, My friend having moved on.)
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Purple Sandy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Alchemist. 2 months 5 days ago #3133980

• MondayOptimist
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 538
  • Honor Medal 2010

Davegem wrote: Has anyone read "the Alchemist" by the Brazilian author Paulo Coelho ?
A beautifully written tale about the search for meaning, finding love and much more.
(I found my copy recently, given to me by an old Swiss lady in my village, sorting through my books. I was particularly broke that week, and as I flicked through the book a 20 euro note dropped out, along with an envelope containing flower seeds, labelled in my friend's neat handwriting. How had I missed them on my first reading of the book? It was a spooky, lovely moment. I re-read the book in thanks, My friend having moved on.)

I'm reading it now. It was written in 1988, originally in Portuguese.

I loved the book at first. But, I agree with one review, after he left the crystal store, it wasn't that good.
It's gotten too mystical or something.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Davegem

The Alchemist. 2 months 5 days ago #3133998

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

MondayOptimist wrote:

Davegem wrote: Has anyone read "the Alchemist" by the Brazilian author Paulo Coelho ?

I'm reading it now. It was written in 1988, originally in Portuguese.

I loved the book at first. But, I agree with one review, after he left the crystal store, it wasn't that good.
It's gotten too mystical or something.

If i'm honest I agree, but still a story well worth reading. Short enough to be read in a couple of sessions, yet lingers far longer.
The following user(s) said Well Said: MondayOptimist

The Alchemist. 2 months 5 days ago #3134092

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7970
  • Honor Medal 2010
I thought for a moment we were talking about the play by Ben Johnson of the same name. So funny, about human folly. I haven't read this novel.

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last edit: by Aida.

The Alchemist. 2 months 5 days ago #3134108

• Purple Sandy
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 6061
  • Honor Medal 2010
No I haven't read the book. Might look out for it. A long time ago, a ministers wife told me I was an alchemist. I had to ask her what she meant. In her words, I set things up, started them off, got them going. I have also been called a pioneer in the same sense.

The Alchemist. 2 months 4 days ago #3134144

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4288
  • Honor Medal 2010
Sounds interesting...maybe I can get hold of this book.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

The Alchemist. 2 months 4 days ago #3134642

• Aries1950
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 708
  • Honor Medal 2010
I recall reading a book by that title in the 1980's. I forgot who wrote it and what the plot was.

Hey Mister Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there ain't no place I'm goin' to
Hey Mister Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning, I'll come followin' you

The Alchemist. 2 months 3 days ago #3135112

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aries1950 wrote: I recall reading a book by that title in the 1980's. I forgot who wrote it and what the plot was.

Published in Portuguese in 1988, first published in English in 1993, so the book you read wasn't this "the Alchemist", unless you read it in Portuguese?
It's terrible when you're unable to recall book plots, etc. I do it myself!:woohoo: but I'm more prone to google it, etc, before i comment, saves embarrassment.

The Alchemist. 1 month 4 weeks ago #3137894

• dianalizia
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I think more people have read the quotes inspired by the author and this book than have actually read it; I remember struggling with it, but don't remember whether I actually finished it. Maybe it's time to read it again. Books appeal to us differently at different ages and points in our lives.

The Alchemist. 1 week 6 days ago #3169800

• greysparrow
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3
The Alchemist was a pretty good book... short, quite predictable, but probably meant to be that way, and it's a very feel good read. But nothing else. Sorry, just my opinion.
Also, friends have told me his translators greatly improve the quality of his prose, which is atrocious in Portuguese, so if you're reading it in English, you may have an extra bonus.

• Page:
Moderators: MikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds