password sites 2 weeks 3 days ago #3243562

• Frankie
  • Frankie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1768
  • Honor Medal 2010
First: do they work? I have dashlane nagging me and I'm tempted because my password system is chaotic, it wastes time and because I have Computers up and down stairs I need passwords all the time.

Can anyone help, please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

password sites 2 weeks 3 days ago #3243570

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3686
  • Honor Medal 2010
First up yes they do work, in that they'll store all your passwords for you in case you forget, and can even log you in automatically so you don't have to remember anything more than a single Master Password to access the password vault of your choosing. Edit: They will work across multiple machines and multiple browsers and applications, if you install them where you want them.

Which one you use is a little different proposition, but, you don't have to pay or be held hostage by a particular provider. I use Lastpass, secure, sometimes too secure, but also the subject of constant attack by dark forces, as are most of the leading providers. I gave Dashlane the flick, simply because they do nag and seem to always be wanting more. There are many more, including most of the browsers that have their own inbuilt password vaults that you can activate, Chrome and Firefox are good as I suspect would be whatever Microsoft has, so it's up to you.

Last edit: by KayyGee.

password sites 2 weeks 3 days ago #3243662

• Frankie
  • Frankie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1768
  • Honor Medal 2010
what do you mean l last pass being too secure

I use Chrome ill see if they can me my vault. Good idea ?

password sites 2 weeks 2 days ago #3243817

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3686
  • Honor Medal 2010
What I mean is that Lastpass has a top level Master password, if you loose this, or forget it, you have lost everything that is stored in the vault, the Lastpass support people can't retrieve it, they don't have access, unlike some other providers who can apply internal hacks to get your passwords back.

If Chrome isn't already asking to store your passwords the feature is likely turned off. To turn it on follow these steps.

At the top right hand corner there should be three vertically aligned dots that when you place your cursor over them they say "Customise and control Google Chrome", click on them to bring up the next drop down menu.

At the bottom will be a tab "Settings" click on it.

You should now have a series of options to alter Chrome behavior. Midway down will be a box headed Autofill.

The first option should be Passwords, click it and you will be able to configure password storage to your needs, it will also show sites and apps for which passwords a already stored and those for which you have indicated you want them automatically entered when you go to that site or open a app.

The top two options are the ones you need to change by moving the littl slide bar to the right:

"Offer to save passwords" and "Autofill"

The rest you should be able to work out and when finished just hit the "back arrows" to get back to the home page.

You will notice other options to Autofill payment details and form information such as name and address, but these need to be used with much caution.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Frankie

Last edit: by KayyGee.
  • Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds