TOPIC: Still using Windows 7 REALLY?

Still using Windows 7 REALLY? 2 weeks 1 day ago #3576625

• coldfeet
  • coldfeet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 76
  • Honor Medal 2010
If you’re using Windows 7, you`re an easy target. Although Windows stopped adding security updates on Jan. 14, 2020, one in 10 computers still run on Windows 7. That means millions of people are at a heightened risk of being hacked.
Hackers know this old operating system inside and out. They know all the cracks in security, which leaves you as vulnerable as a snail without its shell. In 2017, hackers broke into machines with outdated versions and held them for ransom.
Even with the latest software updates, Windows 7 still vulnerable right now!!
More Honey, Less Vinegar!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Still using Windows 7 REALLY? 2 weeks 1 day ago #3576707

• lensman
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 294
  • Honor Medal 2010
It depends on what you have on your computer. If you have no sensitive information and have backed up pictures etc. Not a problem.

Still using Windows 7 REALLY? 2 weeks 1 day ago #3576772

• olfella
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 134
Why use Windows?
I use Linux Mint. It's Free. It's a lot faster. And doesn't need virus protections,
Admittingly you don't get microsoft programs But the programs you get are far superior to microsoft and there FREE
The following user(s) said Well Said: GerryM

Still using Windows 7 REALLY? 2 weeks 22 hours ago #3576809

• Graham
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 240
  • Honor Medal 2010
My PC will boot to any of the three installed systems, depending on what I select. Windows 10, 7 and Mint. I hate Windows 10, it looks terrible, takes an age to boot up and is completely joyless to use, so I only use it when I have to. Normally, I use Windows 7 for the opposite reasons. Yes, it may be insecure, but I don't do any secure stuff on it, although it is protected by firewalls and virus protections. Linux Mint is something I'm still playing with. It may be fast, but is limited in software driver files and I run WINE to emulate Windows environment to let me run various windows stuff on it.

I still occasionally still use Windows XP, only because I have my video editing program on it and it won't run on Win10, owing to me being too mean to stump up cash for a later version. I also run my astronomy programs on it which I'm too lazy to port across.
The following user(s) said Well Said: tonytungsten

Still using Windows 7 REALLY? 1 week 6 days ago #3577532

• djohnny
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have used so many different Linux distributions i've lost count. I would never even consider using a Windows machine again. But let's be honest here and admit that by using an Operating System like for instance Windows 7 that is nolonger supported by Microsoft you are not only putting yourself and the data contained on your computer at risk but everyone you have had contact with in the past. Microsoft produces bigger and more resource hungry computers in order to help them glean every last scrap of user data they can to sell on to anyone who has the money. Why do you think Microsoft hides it source code? It's because they don't want anyone to know the trojans, worms and rootkits they employ in this data mining they employ.

If i had a Windows machine that runs an operating system that is nolonger supported the best and safest thing to do is to convert them into a server where you can safely store pictures. music and other data you might want to keep.

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds