Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: computers.

computers. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3479847

• Sharkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bruce wrote: Ok I am on win10 and the problem I have is why does my laptop always get the wrong place for me. IE: If I am on ebay it auto suggests I am in Stoke other times I am in Macclesfield area.
I have set my place when I loaded win10 and I am just confused.
I clicked on one of the ads on Buzz and it said directions to the centre it was the ATS euromaster ad and it said I was in somewhere I don't know think it was Congleton area.
My postcode starts SK9 so why does it suggest I am ST (Stoke area) or SK10 (Macclesfield area).
Doing my head in it is.

1) Go to Windows settings.

2) click on privacy.

3) On the left hand side you will see location click it and you will see Allow access to location on this device. wink.png

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sharkey.

computers. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3479856

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1360
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sharkey wrote:

Bruce wrote: Ok I am on win10 and the problem I have is why does my laptop always get the wrong place for me. IE: If I am on ebay it auto suggests I am in Stoke other times I am in Macclesfield area.
I have set my place when I loaded win10 and I am just confused.
I clicked on one of the ads on Buzz and it said directions to the centre it was the ATS euromaster ad and it said I was in somewhere I don't know think it was Congleton area.
My postcode starts SK9 so why does it suggest I am ST (Stoke area) or SK10 (Macclesfield area).
Doing my head in it is.

1) Go to Windows settings.

2) click on privacy.

3) On the left hand side you will see location click it and you will see Allow access to location on this device. wink.png

Thank you good sir a star again. (;;)
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sharkey

computers. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3479902

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1119
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just a addenda to this query for those who want to know, without you setting a specific location, advertisers and others who might want to push information your way base their actions off of your browsing use the IP address of the server that you are connected to and through which all your traffic flows. So for example the ISP that I use has servers in Western Australian, nearly 4000 kms away and Sydney 300kms away, there are no local, to me, servers, so that's were the ads are based on. This arrangements suites me fine as I don't want ads and I don't want them to know exactly were I am.

When I do use my actual address for official purposes, despite assurances, I get far more accurate ads, luckily I have several means of blocking and removing them.
The following user(s) said Well Said: grahamg

computers. 3 weeks 3 days ago #3480157

• Sharkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

KayyGee wrote: Just a addenda to this query for those who want to know, without you setting a specific location, advertisers and others who might want to push information your way base their actions off of your browsing use the IP address of the server that you are connected to and through which all your traffic flows. So for example the ISP that I use has servers in Western Australian, nearly 4000 kms away and Sydney 300kms away, there are no local, to me, servers, so that's were the ads are based on. This arrangements suites me fine as I don't want ads and I don't want them to know exactly were I am.

When I do use my actual address for official purposes, despite assurances, I get far more accurate ads, luckily I have several means of blocking and removing them.

Thing is though many sites rely on adverts to help with the overheads.

computers. 3 weeks 2 days ago #3480408

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1119
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sharkey wrote:

KayyGee wrote: Just a addenda to this query for those who want to know, without you setting a specific location, advertisers and others who might want to push information your way base their actions off of your browsing use the IP address of the server that you are connected to and through which all your traffic flows. So for example the ISP that I use has servers in Western Australian, nearly 4000 kms away and Sydney 300kms away, there are no local, to me, servers, so that's were the ads are based on. This arrangements suites me fine as I don't want ads and I don't want them to know exactly were I am.

Thing is though many sites rely on adverts to help with the overheads.

Yes Sharkey I understand that, and for the sites I wish to support I make appropriate arrangements, like putting them on a white list or making direct donations. But the ads are not the most crucial element here, just a convenient analogy, the more important factor is your privacy from those who would be malicious.

P.S From time to time, when I wish to up my security I'll use a VPN and use servers in Europe or the US.

Last edit: by KayyGee.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds