Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do?

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 6 hours ago #3381504

• coldfeet
  • coldfeet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 458
  • Honor Medal 2010
Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do?

Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 7 from Tuesday so that it can focus on "newer technologies".

As a result, Windows 7 users will no longer receive the all-important security updates and patches that keep their machines safe.

What does this all mean?

It means that Microsoft is ending the cat-and-mouse game with hackers seeking to exploit software bugs in the Windows 7 operating system.

If perpetrators find a flaw in Windows 7, Microsoft will not fix it.

Without continued software and security updates, Windows 7 machines are more likely to be infected with viruses and malware, Microsoft wrote on its website.

"Running an unpatched machine means that the flaws in the code will never be fixed and as exploits for those flaws become known and widespread, your chances of being successfully attacked grow very rapidly," said Rik Ferguson, vice-president of security research at Trend Micro.

David Emm, a senior security researcher at Kaspersky Lab, added that people need to move to a supported operating system as soon as possible.

What should you do with your Windows 7 PC?

Computers running Windows 7 will still function after Tuesday but they will become less and less secure.

Microsoft is urging people to move to Windows 10, a newer operating system that it sells for £120.

"Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10," it said. "And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC."

It is possible to install Windows 10 on old PCs but Microsoft warns that it may not run smoothly.

In order to run Windows 10, PCs must have a 1GHz processor, 16GB of hard drive space, and 1GB of RAM memory.

"While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended," Microsoft said.

That said, Windows 7 users do not need to upgrade if they use their PC offline.

What do UK officials say?

UK authorities have warned Windows 7 users not to do internet banking or send emails after Tuesday.

The warning was issued by the National Cyber Security Centre, which is part of Britain's intelligence agency GCHQ, and first reported by The Telegraph,.

"We would urge those using the software after the deadline to replace unsupported devices as soon as possible, to move sensitive data to a supported device and not to use them for tasks like accessing bank and other sensitive accounts," an NCSC spokesperson told the BBC.

"They should also consider accessing email from a different device."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Centre Com 'Pro i7 v2' Desktop
Intel Core i7 7700 CPU, 16GB RAM, H110M Motherboard, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD, DVD Drive, 350W 80+ PSU, Wireless N300, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 6 hours ago #3381509

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3823
  • Honor Medal 2010
All very true except for one small but significant point. while Microsoft does sell Windows 10, the price varies by region, owners of Windows 7 can upgrade at no cost to the Windows 10 Version that is equivalent of what they have now, that is Home to Home, Professional to Professional etc. But again, as stated this is dependent on your hardware being sufficient for the upgrade.

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 5 hours ago #3381519

• coldfeet
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

KayyGee wrote: All very true except for one small but significant point. while Microsoft does sell Windows 10, the price varies by region, owners of Windows 7 can upgrade at no cost to the Windows 10 Version that is equivalent of what they have now, that is Home to Home, Professional to Professional etc. But again, as stated this is dependent on your hardware being sufficient for the upgrade.

Yep, Minimum, In order to run Windows 10, PCs must have a 1GHz processor, 16GB of hard drive space, and 1GB of RAM memory.

Intel Core i7 7700 CPU, 16GB RAM, H110M Motherboard, 240GB SSD + 1TB HDD, DVD Drive, 350W 80+ PSU, Wireless N300, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 2 hours ago #3381551

• tonytungsten
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 401
  • Honor Medal 2010
Keep your old one and buy a new one with windows ten. I wish I had and kept my old one for backup.
TT
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips, Bessie

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 2 hours ago #3381565

• coldfeet
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

tonytungsten wrote: Keep your old one and buy a new one with windows ten. I wish I had and kept my old one for backup.
TT

Yep good idea, I took the HD out of old Tower Computer, purchased an HD dock and use it as a backup, just like an external HD...better than throwing it away, saved money too!(;;)

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 5 days 1 hour ago #3381568

• Blackbird
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 111
So fed up with Microsoft I bought an hp chromebook.

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 4 days 7 hours ago #3382125

• hcf3sf
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 783
  • Honor Medal 2010
In general, Windows has been a good operating system. Windows 3.1 was the first reliable Windows OS. Then every other generation was good. Windows 10 has been good for the most part, I think MS has learned a lot about upgrades over the years!

Blessings,
Harry

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 4 days 6 hours ago #3382136

• coldfeet
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Blackbird wrote: So fed up with Microsoft I bought an hp chromebook.

Chromebooks are good for what they are. If considering buying one make sure you do your research first Pros and Cons.....would be no good for me mainly because many programs I use frequently cant be installed on Chromebooks , (Photoshop, Microsoft Office for instance) and this is understandable because most of Chromebook is stored in the cloud.

Another thing most of them do not have an Ethernet connection(need to buy USB Ethernet adapter, but they work fine on Wi-FI, but for me like the speed of direct to the router. They also have NO CD/DVD drive, again you can buy an external DVD drive that plugs into a USB port.

Chromebooks have small hard drives to keep the cost down. Since they are designed to leverage the Google Cloud ecosystem for services and storage, this is a reasonable trade-off. ... They usually have USB ports, so extra storage is available if needed (External Hard Drive). But overall for what they cost compared to a Laptop they are excellent just be aware of the limitations and what you want it to do? Do your homework

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 3 days 13 hours ago #3382680

• Bessie
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 35
I am still on windows 7. and have had an update yesterday! then a blue screen come on today telling me that windows 7 is no longer supported and my pc is in danger of been attacked! some one said it's fine to carry on. they try and frighten you into buying another lap top. he'd been running his pc for years. and still does. never had any issues with it. so i'm a bit worried. it's more expense isnt it. :(

Microsoft ends Windows 7 support: What should you do? 3 days 10 hours ago #3382761

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3823
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bessie wrote: I am still on windows 7. and have had an update yesterday! then a blue screen come on today telling me that windows 7 is no longer supported and my pc is in danger of been attacked! some one said it's fine to carry on. they try and frighten you into buying another lap top. he'd been running his pc for years. and still does. never had any issues with it. so i'm a bit worried. it's more expense isnt it. :(

There's no expense unless you need to upgrade hardware components on your existing PC, if that is the case it then depends on whether you can do the work yourself or whether a new PC is the best option. Unless your PC is super old it's likely up-gradable but with out knowing your current configuration I can't guarantee it.

You can keep running Windows 7, it's not going to stop working however without Microsoft continuing to deliver updates to close weakness in its security that may come to light it will become more susceptible to hacking unless you spend more time and effort providing your own protection, something you should be doing anyway.

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds