TOPIC: Caring for a person with Alzheimers

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 6 days ago #3742906

• Butterfly123
  • Butterfly123's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8
  • Honor Medal 2010
My 86 year old Mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and she is very down and says she just can't cope anymore but doesn't want to go into a home and so she will be moving in with us in a couple of weeks, I want to help my mum and want her last years to be happy ones I don't want to sound selfish but I'm also very worried about how my life will change too.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 6 days ago #3742908

• geeljay
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 81
  • Honor Medal 2010
So sad for your mum. Your life will now eneter a new dimension of understanding and kindness, but it is a cruel way to end. I wish good luck to you and yours.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 5 days ago #3742918

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1558
  • Honor Medal 2010

Butterfly123 wrote: My 86 year old Mum has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimers and she is very down and says she just can't cope anymore but doesn't want to go into a home and so she will be moving in with us in a couple of weeks, I want to help my mum and want her last years to be happy ones I don't want to sound selfish but I'm also very worried about how my life will change too.

Both yours and your mum lives will change, but your love for each other will not,
Treasure those special beautiful moments with your beautiful mother,make beautiful memories together,
Also accept help from carers ,any help is better than no help.
Good Luck
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, geeljay

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 5 days ago #3743102

• Summerdancing
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 391
  • Honor Medal 2010
Oh.....what a challenge you've accepted. Hope you can line up some respite care for yourself--and don't feel that you are selfish for taking care of yourself as well

You've probably already done this, but if not, get as much information as you can about the possible trajectory of this disease--so you can prepare yourself.

There may come a time when you will have to put her into care--good idea to start looking now so you can make an informed choice if/when the time comes you can no longer care for her.

As my grandmother once said, no matter what you do, it's wrong. Caring for a person with Alzheimer's falls into that category--the best decisions still seem wrong some how.

Wishing you lots of emotional strength as you deal with this.

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 5 days ago #3743142

• Aragon
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 59
Very sorry to hear this Butterfly. Maybe your mom's neurologist can offer suggestions and suitable medications for her.

Take advantage of any support services you may find. I wish you and your mom the best going forward.

Caring for a person with Alzheimers 2 weeks 5 days ago #3743233

• Butterfly123
  • Butterfly123's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you all for the good advice and support! I know this not going to be easy but all I can do is try my very best and take things one day at a time, life is made up of challenges and sometimes they can make you a stronger person.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds