Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628223

• hulalady56
  • hulalady56's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1
I'm a woman who needs to know from the men in our group if you guys become depressed when you feel you've lost your masculinity and virility when you get into your 70's. Does it make you sad and depressed. Asking because my husband is going through that stage and I have no idea on what to do. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628236

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2479
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am not a man - but I don't think there is an answer to ' do men get depressed.......'

Everyone is different, men as a group don't all face same issues or react same way.

My advice would be see your doctor first and go from there.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Lenny

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628239

• sciguy18
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1011
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some men get depressed way before they turn 70. Some men never do. If you think your husband is depressed due to a physical inability to perform, then I agree with Vegemite Kid that he should see a doctor.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628242

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2391
  • Honor Medal 2010
Encourage him to seek help. Might it be the result of medication he may be taking?
If the lack of virility becomes a permanent state of affairs that cannot be remedied, make light of it. Let him know that lack of virility does not affect your sense of his masculinity.

Last edit: by Aida.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628250

• hulalady56
  • hulalady56's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1
Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately he doesn't believe in seeing a doctor about this problem. To give a little background, we've been together 17 years, married 2 of those. He's been a free spirit after his 1st divorce and very much a lady's man. He'd pack his Harley and off he would go sometimes weeks at a time. Met many woman and many one night stands. When I met him he had slowed down somewhat. Now that he is 78 he can't ride farther then the next town over and other women don't find him interesting anymore. He is always telling me about what these other woman did for him and how some still write him till today. I've tried everything I can think of to keep him happy and content but I think the thought of him getting old is part of his depression.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628251

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1457
  • Honor Medal 2010

hulalady56 wrote: I'm a woman who needs to know from the men in our group if you guys become depressed when you feel you've lost your masculinity and virility when you get into your 70's. Does it make you sad and depressed. Asking because my husband is going through that stage and I have no idea on what to do. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I would advise you to get your husband to seek professional help from your doctor, the longer depression is left untreated,the worst it will become.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Aida

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
Last edit: by JUJO.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628254

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2391
  • Honor Medal 2010

hulalady56 wrote: Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately he doesn't believe in seeing a doctor about this problem. To give a little background, we've been together 17 years, married 2 of those. He's been a free spirit after his 1st divorce and very much a lady's man. He'd pack his Harley and off he would go sometimes weeks at a time. Met many woman and many one night stands. When I met him he had slowed down somewhat. Now that he is 78 he can't ride farther then the next town over and other women don't find him interesting anymore. He is always telling me about what these other woman did for him and how some still write him till today. I've tried everything I can think of to keep him happy and content but I think the thought of him getting old is part of his depression.

Maybe you should think yourself lucky he is no longer able to zoom off on his motorbike seeking the company of other women. Everyone gets old. He is getting old. He will get over it ! You appear to have done all you can to keep him happy. You say he won't seek medical help. Now may be the time to shift the focus and think about your own health and happiness. Try not to feel guilty. Take care of yourself.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, cahoots, Keeper

Last edit: by Aida.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628286

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1533
  • Honor Medal 2010

hulalady56 wrote: I'm a woman who needs to know from the men in our group if you guys become depressed when you feel you've lost your masculinity and virility when you get into your 70's. Does it make you sad and depressed. Asking because my husband is going through that stage and I have no idea on what to do. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I haven't reached 70 yet but I know what you mean I have friends at that age, Some like me couldn't give a monkeys we know we are not looking like Kirk Douglas when we whip our tops off anymore and we know bedroom olympics is now no where near as often or as long as it was a few years back, we just accept it and couldn't care a jot as we have other things in life which keep us smiling and happy and happiness is the key when your smiling you don't worry about anything else.

I do have some friends who have gone through the stages of trying cover grey hair with just for men and feeling sad because 25 year old girls don't even look at you anymore even wearing younger generation clothes thinking it will somehow change their age! I have a mate who told us he is struggling in the bedroom he said his brain is saying oh yes time for fun but his chap hasn't got the message! We told him go the docs they have seen it all before and they can help and in more ways than just chucking a pill down his neck.
He did and now he is fine.
It is a bit of a shock when you look in the mirror and see that old man looking back at you but I always think count my lucky stars I am this age and can still look in the mirror, many younger than me are no longer with us so I accept and enjoy the fact I am still here.
If it is getting your hubby down tell him go to the docs and explain they can and do help I have seen it first hand with friends. Above all it is normal to have doubts as we age it is the fear of the unknown we have never been there before so it is a bit scary, We have to think millions have and they get through it fine so we can too.
All the best.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Aida

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628318

• olfella
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 283
I'm only 1 year behind him. 77
Still ride my motorcycle, My nearest Town is 350Ks away.
Travel all over Northern Australia during the dry season ( Winter Months) With my dog for company
Not depressed in any way.
And no female in my life to nag and depress me.

Do men get depressed when they hit their 70's 1 month 2 weeks ago #3628323

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1457
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am guessing Male and female cope with getting older in different ways, It happens to everyone,getting older,it doesn’t have to be something really bad,getting older is a new chapter in everyone lives,
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds