Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion?

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 1 week 5 days ago #3462732

• sandoval
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 431
  • Honor Medal 2010
The majority of the world's population are Insulin resistant but most of the food on sale is for insulin senstive people so obesity is forced on them. Processed food is poison to insulin resistant people but individuals are made to feel it is their fault for being greedy and lazy.. The disease is in society more than the individual. William Banting discovered how to lose weight over 150 years ago but most people have never heard of him. It's not complicated , it's simply kept from public knowledge .
The following user(s) said Well Said: PJ54

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by sandoval.

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 1 week 5 days ago #3462824

• Pheobe
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1158
  • Honor Medal 2010

sandoval wrote: The majority of the world's population are Insulin resistant but most of the food on sale is for insulin senstive people so obesity is forced on them. Processed food is poison to insulin resistant people but individuals are made to feel it is their fault for being greedy and lazy.. The disease is in society more than the individual. William Banting discovered how to lose weight over 150 years ago but most people have never heard of him. It's not complicated , it's simply kept from public knowledge .

Never heard of him so googled, interesting article actually as it was a doctor Harvey that advised Banting. Dr Harvey’s name did not appear in the first two editions of the book. Banting explained: “In the first and second editions, I thought that to give his name would appear like a puff, which I know he abhors”. But in the third edition, Banting revealed the identity of his adviser and also added a long note by Harvey, explaining the diet. But Harvey’s defence of the diet was largely unsuccessful. Despite its popularity, ‘Banting’ was always controversial, in part because, though it was effective, there was at that time no convincing scientific theory to explain how it worked. Harvey was ridiculed and, in the end, his practice began to suffer. ‘Banting’ was gradually eclipsed by low fat diets, only to be resurrected in the 1970s with another surname attached – as the Atkins diet.
I think, if you have enough inner resources, then you can live in isolation for long periods of time and not feel diminished by it.

Aung San Suu Kyi

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 1 week 5 days ago #3463060

• sandoval
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 431
  • Honor Medal 2010
Banting/Atkins/Keto ......whatever you call it is the only way, apart from fasting, for an Insulin resistant person to loose weight long term. Fat makes you thin and sugar makes you fat and the more fat you take out of food the more sugar to have to add and the food industry loves this because sugar is addictive and fat isn't. In the USA alone there are approx 150 million Diabetic & pre diabetics , even more if the Kraft test is used and yet it barely gets a mention even though 62% of covid 19 deaths were obesity related.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bessie

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 4 days 8 hours ago #3467367

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1819
  • Honor Medal 2010
The Keto diet is very good. It is imo the right way to lose weight though I don't condone diets as such because by definition they define a temporary eating regime which will at some point come to an end and at that point the person will often then revert back to norm and put all the weight back on.

However, what's great about the Keto way of eating is that it is natural and it is healthy and it totally works.

In short, by restricting severely the amount of carbs you eat, your body goes into a medical state called Ketosis.

The body is not getting the energy it needs from the carbs you were eating any more and so goes automatically into Ketosis. When this happens the body converts stored fat into energy to use instead. The body literally burns its own fat without you lifting a finger. No exercise involved.

Note also that this is NOT starvation mode. It is a totally natural process that should be happening all the time to everyone. We should be periodically going into and out of Ketosis frequently as a result of eating a good healthy diet.

My wife and I began following a Keto regime in January and after about 8-12 weeks I lost about 1 stone of weight which was plenty for me as I'm not obese but wanted to lose a little bit.

It took us only about 4 days to switch our bodies into Ketosis mode which we confirmed using "Ketostix" which are thin paper strips which you dip into a urine sample and which then change colour.

What is great about this eating style is that you can eat all sorts of "nice" things that dieters would often be aghast at.

For example lots of full English breakfasts, lots of good fats, all meat and fish, lots of vegetables and fruit but definitely some veg and fruit to be avoided, lots of avocados and so on.

There is really very little hardship eating the Keto way and there is really only one rule which is that you limit your carb intake to 20-30g per day. You simply then need a reference sheet that tells you how many carbs there are in any given food item. It really wasn't remotely difficult and the food we ate was wonderful. Naturally it means little to no bread, rice or pasta for a while but that really wasn't difficult.

We have since ceased that strict regime and are eating whatever we want but the process is one of education. We are now hugely aware of how many carbs there are in everything and our eating style is now balanced but with great focus on keeping carbs in check. I haven't put any weight back on since despite regularly now eating bread, cereals, rice and pasta.
We've pretty much stopped eating potatoes. Evening meals are invariably meat or fish and lots of different vegetables or alternatively bowls of chilli or stews or pasta dishes. All good healthy fresh ingredients with lots of garlic, ginger and healthy spices used throughout.

Losing weight and tackling obesity is about food education. Understanding what foods do to the body and how many of them totally mess up your body's own processes. When you adjust the foods you eat, the body automatically responds (by going into Ketosis) and starts rebalancing everything. The weight just drops off naturally and stays off.

No need for stupid dieting clubs or going hungry. Just simple education and knowledge of how many carbs are in everything you are eating.

As with all eating styles you should check with your GP if you intend to make significant changes in case you have a medical condition that would make you unsuitable for it.

If anyone is interested I have developed A4 sheets listing what carbs are in what foods though you can of course compile your own from the plethora of internet sites.
Only dead fish swim with the flow

Last edit: by Realist.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds