Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion?

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451880

• BlushingOrchid
  • BlushingOrchid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
what do you think about this, some medical professionals are labeling obesity as a disease and some are not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451890

• Corvette
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Obesity can turn into a lot of diseases . I think it could be called a lot of things based on the person and
how they live. Most of the time it is caused from a bad diet which is not called a disease. I do understand
some people have other problems which cause them to be over weight.

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451909

• Lenny
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 380
  • Honor Medal 2010
NO
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bessie

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451916

• Wren
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1577
  • Honor Medal 2010
Personally I would not consider obesity a disease

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451917

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2455
  • Honor Medal 2010
I would not call obesity a disease.

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3451937

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 4945
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some medical professionals want to classify it as a disease but it isn't as yet.

Obesity is a condition that increases the risk of 'diseases', such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, as well as some forms of cancer.
Happy to help.
The following user(s) said Well Said: MoonlitRoads63

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 3 days ago #3452038

• Pascalou
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 3265
  • Honor Medal 2010
I would not call it a disease but a pathology which is a serious health condition with morbid consequences.
Why a pathology? Because people are at risk and often need help.

In my opinion obesity most common causes would be:

1. A medical condition eg glandular/hormonal dysfunctionnement leading to weight gain .
2. A serious psychological condition: emotional instability , depression, extreme stress leading to over eating or binge eating.
3. A lack of education from early childhood, with no clue whatsoever about how to cook and eat healthy and count calories... leading to absorbing too much sugar and fat on a daily basis which can cause diabetis.

In all cases imo, the condition makes you vulnerable and eventually lead to psychological issues such as low self esteem, extreme fatigue and fear of the way others look at you and might judge you.

So yes a pathology which once acknowledged as such , can allow all the right structures to be put in place to help, this is why we have a rather low obesity rate in France, because food education is high and starts at school, and people with obesity problems would very often be offered counselling to help to cope with the stress and underlying conditions leading to over eating first, as the only way to succeed is to go to the root of the problem first, unless you are in the 3rd category in which case you would be sent to see a nutritionist only.
Smile to life and life will smile back at you.

Last edit: by Pascalou.

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 2 days ago #3452059

• CAJ
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 285
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obesity is over eating. It may make fat people feel better about themselves to be called victims of disease, or plus size or curvy but whatever label you give it - in most cases - it's gluttony. Wake up and smell the take aways.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PJ54

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 2 days ago #3452076

• Pats
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 4945
  • Honor Medal 2010

CAJ wrote: Obesity is over eating. It may make fat people feel better about themselves to be called victims of disease, or plus size or curvy but whatever label you give it - in most cases - it's gluttony. Wake up and smell the take aways.

Not necessarily so...

Hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing's syndrome are also contributors to obesity.
Some diseases, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, can also lead to obesity.
Happy to help.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pascalou

Is obesity a disease in your personal opinion? 2 months 2 days ago #3452081

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4896
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have always thought of obesity as a condition rather than a disease but, when you look at the definition of disease, I can see that it could fall into the category of a chronic disease because it is a condition which impairs the body’s normal functions.

I can see why a lot of medical professionals would like to have it classified as a disease and why this isn’t just a minor quibble about terminology.
If there was an environmental pathogen that was causing disease in our children and spreading to more and more children and adults every year, governments and health organisations across the world would be trying to find ways of eliminating or reducing the pathogenic agent that was causing the disease.
In this case, the pathogens have been created by human society and, although individuals can take steps to avoid those pathogens, it will take concerted efforts from governments around the world to remove some of these pathogens from our environment and protect children from being exposed to them at an early age.

From a WHO Report:

www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight

In 2019, an estimated 38.2 million children under the age of 5 years were overweight or obese. Once considered a high-income country problem, overweight and obesity are now on the rise in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in urban settings. In Africa, the number of overweight children under 5 has increased by nearly 24% percent since 2000. Almost half of the children under 5 who were overweight or obese in 2019 lived in Asia.

Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5-19 were overweight or obese in 2016.

The prevalence of overweight and obesity among children and adolescents aged 5-19 has risen dramatically from just 4% in 1975 to just over 18% in 2016. The rise has occurred similarly among both boys and girls: in 2016 18% of girls and 19% of boys were overweight.

While just under 1% of children and adolescents aged 5-19 were obese in 1975, more 124 million children and adolescents (6% of girls and 8% of boys) were obese in 2016.

Overweight and obesity are linked to more deaths worldwide than underweight. Globally there are more people who are obese than underweight – this occurs in every region except parts of sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.

Here is an article from a British publication for medical professionals, The Lancet, that puts forward a case for classifying obesity as a disease:

www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/articl...(17)30191-2/fulltext

I noticed that Portugal was one of the first countries to officially classify obesity as a disease, back in 2004, in an effort to tackle their growing problem of childhood obesity.
I was interested to see what effect that had produced and my research brought up the WHO article below, showing that
“Between 2008 and 2016 we can see a drop in overweight children [in Portugal] from 37.9% to 30.7% and in obese children from 15.3% to 11.7%.”

There is obviously still a long way to go. Regular monitoring and research highlighted that the number of children who regularly drink soft drinks – a significant influence on weight gain – had increased over time to reach over 80.1% of children aged 6–8 years in 2016. “This data provided scientific evidence essential to support the implementation of the sugary drinks tax,”
Although it sounds like a common sense conclusion that should not need lots of research, if society as a whole wants to tackle the problem of obesity, we have to get governments to take it seriously and give them the ammunition to enable them to drive out the junk in the food and drink industries. fight the powerful money men behind the industries which are producing all this high calorie / low nutrition junk.

If classifying obesity as a disease helps to focus the minds of people, societies and governments on taking the issue seriously and tackling the problem and its root causes, as they would tackle a pandemic, then that may be helpful.

www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncom...taxing-sugary-drinks
Step by step, one goes a long way.

Last edit: by Eira.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds