Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Im I ready for surgery and a new knee?

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 5 days ago #3342580

  • T65KBK
  • T65KBK's Avatar
  • Online
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1940
  • Well said received: 4026
  • Points: 13181
  • Honor Medal 2010
The specialist told me that knee surgery is more complicated than hip replacement and that it can go one of three ways:

1. It can be a perfect outcome and you will wish you'd had it done earlier
2. It will be no better than it was before the operation and will have taken months to heal
3. It will be more painful after the operation than it was before

He has recommended that I delay surgery until I can stand the pain no longer and it has to be done.

Not such good news? It would be great to hear from lots of folk who've had a successful operation.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 5 days ago #3342629

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Online
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 20502
  • Well said received: 9852
  • Points: 363342
  • Honor Medal 2010

T65KBK wrote: The specialist told me that knee surgery is more complicated than hip replacement and that it can go one of three ways:

1. It can be a perfect outcome and you will wish you'd had it done earlier
2. It will be no better than it was before the operation and will have taken months to heal
3. It will be more painful after the operation than it was before

He has recommended that I delay surgery until I can stand the pain no longer and it has to be done.

Not such good news? It would be great to hear from lots of folk who've had a successful operation.


My hubby had a successful outcome, he did everything he was advised, the exercises are vital and he had me to contend with to ensure he did them.wink.png

Many fail because they won’t do the recommended exercises.
The following user(s) said Well Said: T65KBK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 5 days ago #3342632

  • Frankie
  • Frankie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 3308
  • Well said received: 1737
  • Points: 70145
  • Honor Medal 2010
Im talking to the Doctor on the phone tomorrow to see if I can get me on the knee surgery list.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 5 days ago #3342643

  • Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7129
  • Well said received: 11580
  • Points: 70984
  • Honor Medal 2010

Frankie wrote: Im talking to the Doctor on the phone tomorrow to see if I can get me on the knee surgery list.


It will be longer than the chip shop queue Frankie.

Figures from health service regulators show waiting list numbers for hip and knee surgeries are expected to rise to 800,000 by 2019, compared with a current figure of 370,000.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 4 days ago #3342656

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Online
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 20502
  • Well said received: 9852
  • Points: 363342
  • Honor Medal 2010

Frankie wrote: Im talking to the Doctor on the phone tomorrow to see if I can get me on the knee surgery list.


Didn't you say that you and your doctor agreed NOT to go on the list yet Frankie?:unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 4 days ago #3342664

  • Marker2you
  • Marker2you's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 666
  • Well said received: 1174
  • Points: 22638
  • Honor Medal 2010
I urge you to be aware that the best outcome of the surgery has a direct correlation to the work and effort put into post operative therapy and rehabilitation. If you cheat or are lazy the results will not be optimum.

Attack rehab as if your life depended on it........because your quality of life does depend on it...
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, GerryM, Lorna Doone, T65KBK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 4 days ago #3342786

  • Lorna Doone
  • Lorna Doone's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Posts: 198
  • Well said received: 225
  • Points: 868

Marker2you wrote: I urge you to be aware that the best outcome of the surgery has a direct correlation to the work and effort put into post operative therapy and rehabilitation. If you cheat or are lazy the results will not be optimum.

Attack rehab as if your life depended on it........because your quality of life does depend on it...


I do agree with this. All of my siblings have had knee replacements, three of them with the second knee following soon after the first. Although the outcome of the second replacement was eventually as good as the first, they all agreed that the second was more painful after surgery and in spite of the same determination and effort, took longer to achieve the same good result. Not sure why, my one sister had the same surgeon for both.
The following user(s) said Well Said: GerryM

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 3 days ago #3343367

  • Frankie
  • Frankie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 3308
  • Well said received: 1737
  • Points: 70145
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Frankie wrote: Im talking to the Doctor on the phone tomorrow to see if I can get me on the knee surgery list.


Didn't you say that you and your doctor agreed NOT to go on the list yet Frankie?:unsure:


No of course not why would I do that. Getting on the list is what I want, sit down the appointment in 2 weeks time

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 2 days ago #3343692

  • Pats
  • Pats's Avatar
  • Online
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Posts: 20502
  • Well said received: 9852
  • Points: 363342
  • Honor Medal 2010

Frankie wrote:

Pats wrote:

Frankie wrote: Im talking to the Doctor on the phone tomorrow to see if I can get me on the knee surgery list.


Didn't you say that you and your doctor agreed NOT to go on the list yet Frankie?:unsure:


No of course not why would I do that. Getting on the list is what I want, sit down the appointment in 2 weeks time


This is what you said Frankie...:unsure: .

Quote...."My doctor and I have definitely not agree to go on the waiting list yet

It way a big thing to have the injection in my knee, let alone surgery"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Happy to help.

Im I ready for surgery and a new knee? 1 week 2 days ago #3343705

  • Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 7129
  • Well said received: 11580
  • Points: 70984
  • Honor Medal 2010




Frankie you could not lie straight in a bed. wink.png

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sharkey.
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10pascalou
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.