Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong

Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong 1 week 5 days ago #3309825

• Annette
  • Annette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4023
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jennet wrote: Some people wouldn’t know the truth if it bit them in their rear end.

So true!

"Resignation demands hit Wilbur Ross after he threatens NOAA staff over Trump’s hurricane tweet.

You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, but Donald Trump apparently needs his Commerce Secretary to keep those weather forecasters in line with the president’s ignorant whims.

The New York Times revealed today that corrupt Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire top officials at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) after the agency’s National Weather Service Birmingham, Alabama office did their jobs properly and corrected Trump’s erroneous tweeted warning that Hurricane Dorian was “most likely” headed their way.

The Times cites “three people familiar with the discussion” as the source of the claim that Secretary Ross made the threat to senior NOAA employees on Friday afternoon. Shortly after the confrontation, the NOAA issued an unsigned statement condemning its own scientists’ by-now-proven contention that the Gulf coast state was not at risk.

The capitulation to political pressure caused outrage among the fact-based meteorologists at the agency — as well as with any other scientists who value the truth over the political expediency of pleasing a juvenile-minded and highly insecure president who wields a black sharpie marker to alter any weather map that displeases him.

To the bewilderment of just about everyone, Donald Trump refused to admit his mistake when he sent his tweet with wildly outdated forecasts of Hurricane Dorian’s projected trajectories and then took the further steps of inventing his own evidence of the truth of his ill-timed warning.

According to The New York Times, Secretary Ross was traveling for meetings in Greece when he called the acting administrator of the NOAA, Neil Jacobs, and ordered him to fix the problem caused by his underlings’ apparent contradiction of the president. Dr. Jacobs reportedly balked at the demand until he “was told that the political staff at NOAA would be fired if the situation was not fixed,” the newspaper reported.

As one of those political appointees, Dr. Jacobs abandoned his objections after the threat.

Today, the NOAA’s acting chief scientist, Craig N. McLean, sent an email to the agency’s staff disclosing that he was investigating the “potential violations” that the decision to endorse Trump’s false forecast rather than the work of its own meteorologists, calling the agency’s cowardly move “a danger to public health and safety.”

At the same time, Louis Uccellini, the National Weather Service director, got a standing ovation at a Huntsville, Alabama weather industry conference when he heaped praised upon the NWS Birmingham office, saying that the staff members had only “with one thing in mind, public safety” when they issued their contradiction of Trump’s ridiculous contention that Alabama faced risk of being hit “harder than anticipated.”

Meanwhile, the disclosure of Secretary Ross’ involvement the tempestuous kerfluffle has led to calls for his resignation from both legislators and environmental groups.
washingtonpress.com/2019/09/09/resignati...s-hurricane-tweet-2/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Shadowman, eleramune, Pete3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong 1 week 5 days ago #3309912

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8296
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: such STARTLING STATEMENTS - AND TOPIC going on endlessly about the map. No one knows for sure who drew on it - these media mobsters and "others" have been wreaking havoc with this event. Why don't the Liberals focus instead on important issues - ! Why because this is more profitable for CNN and other pro-types!

It takes two to tango -
You could also ask why doesn’t Trump focus on the important issues instead of obsessively trying to prove he wasn’t mistaken about the hurricane forecast. Why? ... perhaps it’s because he can never admit he may have been mistaken or wrong - he lacks either the humility, the self-assurance or maturity to gracefully acknowledge that he sometimes makes mistakes. A wiser person may acknowledge their mistake and bow to the superior knowledge of the qualified meteorologists and wryly allow the press to have their moment of fun-poking and the whole thing would quickly be dropped and forgotten.
If Trump didn’t make such a big deal of trying to prove himself right, sending out all those ridiculous tweets and lashing out at anyone who doesn’t soothe his ego by pretending Trump was right all along, the press wouldn’t make such a big deal of it either.
“Behaviour which is rewarded is repeated” - that universal bit of wisdom swings both ways between Trump and the media - they are feeding from each other.
If Trump didn’t keep posting off the cuff messages on social media that have not been properly thought through or sense checked, the media couldn’t jump on those messages and criticise or talk about them.
It keeps Trump’s name in the news - perhaps that’s one of the reasons he does it? To stir up controversy and get his opponents to react and his supporters to defend him, whatever he has said.
If Trump tweeted that the moon was made of green cheese, I expect the media would pounce on it and make a story out of this bit of trivial nonsense - and some of Trump’s followers would twist themselves into knots defending his statement and, if it turns out to be completely indefensible, they can always fall back on the old chestnut of “he was joking” or “he was just winding up “the liberals””

It’s weird but, by what I observe, that seems to be the way it goes.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Vegemite Kid, eleramune, Pete3

Step by step, one goes a long way.
Last edit: by Eira.

Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong 1 week 4 days ago #3310330

• Shadowman
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1780
  • Honor Medal 2010
Trump is moving on (for now) from his tripling down on his gig as a hurricane forecaster. He is now busy attacking some celebrity couple for something, and attacking a new poll that shows his rating dropping. And he has not even gotten to Mick Jagger yet. So many things for him to be wrong on, and he does not want to leave any out it seems.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong 1 week 3 days ago #3310877

• Dan Dare
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2128
  • Honor Medal 2010
I disagree for the moment Shadowman, I think Trump has more moved onto critising ex chief security advisor Bolton's moustace liking it to a walrus look. Fair enough, I can't argue with that.
I heard it was 2 hours of spiteful tweets with special focus on the moustache. Mexicans have moustaches too, and Iranians.
Everyday is a new fight.

Thinking more about the Sharpie scrawl, I bet it was done with a permanent marker rather than an erasable white board one? And why not use some electronically stuff? Who knows? It's a circus.

Mineral turpentine is my way of erasing permanent marker scrawl, like what the graffiti brat kids leave. My dog pees on those same lamposts for similar reasons. His pee is not permanent though, unlike Trump's big marker pen.

Have you seen his giant imperious signature? It's BIG . He uses big permanent marker pens. A man's pen, not a whimp's.:lol:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

Trump alters hurricane map with a sharpie so he doesn't have to say he was wrong 1 week 3 days ago #3310980

• KayyGee
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3438
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dan Dare wrote: I disagree for the moment Shadowman, I think Trump has more moved onto critising ex chief security advisor Bolton's moustace liking it to a walrus look. Fair enough, I can't argue with that.
I heard it was 2 hours of spiteful tweets with special focus on the moustache. Mexicans have moustaches too, and Iranians.
Everyday is a new fight.

Thinking more about the Sharpie scrawl, I bet it was done with a permanent marker rather than an erasable white board one? And why not use some electronically stuff? Who knows? It's a circus.

Mineral turpentine is my way of erasing permanent marker scrawl, like what the graffiti brat kids leave. My dog pees on those same lamposts for similar reasons. His pee is not permanent though, unlike Trump's big marker pen.

Have you seen his giant imperious signature? It's BIG . He uses big permanent marker pens. A man's pen, not a whimp's.:lol:

Interesting fact. The pens that Trump uses, and has used even before becoming President, are the same, manufactured by the Sharpie Company. He wanted the biggest boldest pen for a big bold signature, in line with his narcissistic personality. The company make both permanent and erasable (white board) markers in a similar style, Trump uses the permanent kind, he uses them to sign all the official documents that he wants shown on camera.

In appreciation for all the free advertising that he gives the company Sharpie produced pens with his signature embossed in gold on them, if you're lucky, or not, you might get given one if he feels generous, otherwise you can buy a facsimile on his Campaign website. $15.00 each. These aren't the same as he uses for Official business, those can be had, his sweaty DNA and all, on Auction sites (E-Bay) for upwards of $US200, depending on how much sweat, I suppose.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, eleramune

Last edit: by KayyGee.
Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds