TOPIC: Giving Trump threads a rest?

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 23 hours ago #3272402

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8433
  • Honor Medal 2010
My regret is not that there are too many but that most of the threads in the USA section become difficult to engage with because the combative posting style of some of the regular contributors turns every thread into an unpleasant argument or attack & defence, from opposing sides, instead of a respectful discussion.

There are policy issues raised by both “sides” of the divide which I would like to read and discuss, to learn more about them, but attempts to develop the debate constructively gets lost in a morass of general personal jibes and sarcasm, either against Trump himself or against individual posters.

It all gets too exhausting to filter out the insults and irrelevant stuff and focus on the topic itself. I try for a while and sometimes throw in my two pennorth or ask a question or two but I often feel drowned out by the main protagonists in all these Trump threads or dispirited by the tone of the “debate”.

I think that is why many people who are not extremely “pro-Trump” or extremely “anti-Trump” ,or who just don’t like arguing with each other for the sake of it, get a bit fed up of seeing so many threads in similar vein.
Not so much because they are not interested in the topic of American politics but because they feel too unfriendly to venture into.

Yes, folk can choose not to open them, as I sometimes do when I want a break from them, but folk should also be free to comment on how they feel about them, without being accused of trying to dictate what others post.

Tolerance and respecting each other’s right to express an opinion should work both ways.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cestrian, pascalou, Aviara, Vegemite Kid, Mary Mary, grahamg, Rips, eleramune, Sweetness56

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 23 hours ago #3272405

• pascalou
  • Away
  • Well said received: 7281
  • Honor Medal 2010

Eira wrote: My regret is not that there are too many but that most of the threads in the USA section become difficult to engage with because the combative posting style of some of the regular contributors turns every thread into an unpleasant argument or attack & defence, from opposing sides, instead of a respectful discussion.

There are policy issues raised by both “sides” of the divide which I would like to read and discuss, to learn more about them, but attempts to develop the debate constructively gets lost in a morass of general personal jibes and sarcasm, either against Trump himself or against individual posters.

It all gets too exhausting to filter out the insults and irrelevant stuff and focus on the topic itself. I try for a while and sometimes throw in my two pennorth or ask a question or two but I often feel drowned out by the main protagonists in all these Trump threads or dispirited by the tone of the “debate”.

I think that is why many people who are not extremely “pro-Trump” or extremely “anti-Trump” ,or who just don’t like arguing with each other for the sake of it, get a bit fed up of seeing so many threads in similar vein.
Not so much because they are not interested in the topic of American politics but because they feel too unfriendly to venture into.

Yes, folk can choose not to open them, as I sometimes do when I want a break from them, but folk should also be free to comment on how they feel about them, without being accused of trying to dictate what others post.

Tolerance and respecting each other’s right to express an opinion should work both ways.

Spot on Eira I could not have posted better so let us all reflect on that one.
I have deleted many silly and out of topic posts and pictures .
May I remind members that pictures are not allowed in serious and controversial discussions as we know how it always end.

Let us all post with respect and in a constructive way.
Any more out of topic posts , pictures and silly jibes will be removed.

Pascalou
Moderator.

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by pascalou.

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 22 hours ago #3272453

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3737
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: That seems a strange reason to support someone - not because of their policies but just because other people don't. :unsure:

Some people do, even here. Supporting and defending something just because they want to stirr up others. Especially on more or less controversial topics.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 22 hours ago #3272458

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1694
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: Not sure how you know what they are about or whether they discuss policies or how much vitriol there is, if you don't open them. :unsure:

If you don't want to read them, just don't - no problem then.

Because I have read some and even on threads that have nothing to do with Trump the same posters post the same old thing. And as I said upthread:

So I know which threads to avoid and you can tell by the subject what it's going to be like.

Have you ever wondered why more members don't join in on these threads and it seems to be the same people over and over again. Wouldn't it be better to have more of a variety of views than just the same views (well not views, but personal attacks) spewed out again and again.

[/color]

Or perhaps we need less sycophantic adoration and blind faith in the face of the facts .........again and again
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cestrian, Shadowman, Mary Mary, eleramune

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 22 hours ago #3272462

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3737
  • Honor Medal 2010
...or perhaps, New Ticks, it is because they run out of excuses for whatever their loved idol says or does...

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 22 hours ago #3272465

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11402
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes, very well said Eira.

Lets all try to be the change we want to see in others and avoid sarcastic personal jibes.

(I do try very hard to not get respond to personal spats and will pledge to withdraw/report/ignore instead)

and all of us can skip past threads we don't want to venture into and not make assumptions about others.smile.png

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 21 hours ago #3272470

• Gabby Hayes
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3759
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annette wrote: ...or perhaps, New Ticks, it is because they run out of excuses for whatever their loved idol says or does...

"Facts"? "Excuses"? That will be the day. :lol: In case some don't already know, this issue was argued and debated going on three years ago. Back in 2016 the American people discussed it among ourselves and made a decision – that Donald Trump should be the next president of these United States. The winning side has no need to make excuses or to debate what the other side dreams up as "facts." We were initially entertained by the wails of anguish and shrieks of rage from the losing side, especially from those abroad who don't even have a say in the outcome, mostly because of its childish intensity and duration. But even a two-year-old eventually stops crying and throwing things when they don't get what they want.
The following user(s) said Well Said: paws4thought, Topsy, Jane R, oldal, WWWoody, Robin

There are approximately 120,000,000 gun owners in the U.S. We are the majority of voting adults.

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 20 hours ago #3272495

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 969
  • Honor Medal 2010
^^^^Soon they’ll have their shot at redemption. That lineup though. Ouch. CJ Biden is leading the pack. Double ouch. He’s had more trouble with the chickies than Donny’s had. Oops.
The following user(s) said Well Said: oldal, Serena77, Robin

God Bless Murica!

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 18 hours ago #3272561

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11402
  • Honor Medal 2010

Gabby Hayes wrote:

Annette wrote: ...or perhaps, New Ticks, it is because they run out of excuses for whatever their loved idol says or does...

"Facts"? "Excuses"? That will be the day. :lol: In case some don't already know, this issue was argued and debated going on three years ago. Back in 2016 the American people discussed it among ourselves and made a decision – that Donald Trump should be the next president of these United States. The winning side has no need to make excuses or to debate what the other side dreams up as "facts." We were initially entertained by the wails of anguish and shrieks of rage from the losing side, especially from those abroad who don't even have a say in the outcome, mostly because of its childish intensity and duration. But even a two-year-old eventually stops crying and throwing things when they don't get what they want.

Doesn't seem a good start to posting with respect. :unsure:

Criticism and discussion about countries leaders is ongoing, debate, aka discussion and exchange of views about ongoing events doesn't stop when a person is elected.
And that includes by anyone, wherever they live.
Anyone can participate in a discussion about anywhere.

As was asked above,by posters and moderator, who put it better than I could, without sarcastic personal jibes.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cestrian, Mary Mary

Giving Trump threads a rest? 4 days 15 hours ago #3272639

• Pete3
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 75

WWWoody wrote: ^^^^Soon they’ll have their shot at redemption. That lineup though. Ouch. CJ Biden is leading the pack. Double ouch. He’s had more trouble with the chickies than Donny’s had. Oops.

Wrong. Trump was credibly accused of rape (again) just a few weeks ago. Biden: Never.
Trump's gullible and dimwitted supporters are so divorced from truth and reality that they assume every one else is the same. Try reading some "fake news" one of these days - you just might, gasp, learn some facts.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Mary Mary, grahamg

Moderators: mike
Time to create page: 5.513 seconds