Warning

Joomla\CMS\Cache\Storage\FileStorage::_deleteFolder Failed deleting 93c4136cb6e0259aa0441cfb0d19dbd0-cache-mod_menu-6a34e013373120ff0b12901ff1ae314b.php
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: US Government shutdown

US Government shutdown 1 week 5 days ago #3148998

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4067
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: I can express my views..it is called "freedom of speech." Pretty sure you've heard of the term...no?

Still, it seems the trumpeteers only bring up that right as long as it fits their agenda.

Every time it happenes to be a comment these trumpeteers do not like the writer is called "biased" or "bashers".

Funny, ain´t it?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, senile1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

US Government shutdown 1 week 5 days ago #3149005

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
"The wall has always been there. They need to amend it. There certainly other resources that will be utilized
to take care of the aircraft...why not? Our resources are unlimited."

This is too funny! The US has unlimited resources! Sure, that is why they attacked Iraq to get to the oil!
Good grief, some people really dont have a clue.
Maybe in the country of origin of ms Serena facts about recources are not taught, but it seems to me she has a very funny idea about the country she fled too.

If it wasnt so sad it would be funny, the people living in former East Germany take to fascism too.
They dont like refugees, eventhough they all, every single one of them, are refugees, wanted to be a refugee, or are children of refugees or wannabee-refugees.

And no, I am not willing to read some blog to find out where someone originally came from.
Maybe some people are ashamed of their refugee-status, and maybe they try to hide their origin.
Who knows?
The following user(s) said Well Said: senile1, Mary Mary

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

US Government shutdown 1 week 5 days ago #3149008

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Shadowman wrote: I am a little disappointed that my questions about Trump's lies and why no one on the right will address them are being ignored. .

Dont be disappointed, Shadowman, the trumpeteers know fullwell that any words that führer trump does not like might be held against them.
Same old story I guess...it all happened before.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, senile1

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149182

• Shadowman
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2731
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: As far as Trump's " lies.". Don't we all have the presumption of innocence before we are found guolty? Yes, sure some things are not looking good for Trump but there is NOTHING proven against him yet. I will NOT be the one to throw a stone whereas there are many others culpable of the same crime. Do you think all the politicians in Washington are saints? I know he is the President of the United states and therefore we should hold him in scrutiny but yet respect that office of the Presidency even if we do not admire the man. This hate rhetoric is tearing up the country. It is time to stop.

Pointing out to people when their president has lied is hardly "hate rhetoric". You seem like an honest person. Here is a straight forward recent case. Tell me outright, do you deny that Trump pronounced in a recent speech on a visit to the military that he gave them a 10% raise and claimed they received no raises for decades? Do you have a "presumption" that he did not do this? There are now hundreds of such examples of Trump lying in public.
Trump seems confused about military pay, claims troops received no raises for a decade
www.militarytimes.com/pay-benefits/2018/...raises-for-a-decade/

“They said: ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3%. We could make it 2%. We could make it 4%.’ I said: ‘No. Make it 10%. Make it more than 10%.’” time.com/5489492/trump-military-raise/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, Mary Mary, artifact

Last Edit: by Shadowman.

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149225

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
""We are expecting a baby next week... This should be one of the happiest moments of our lives and we have this hanging over our heads," says federal worker, William Striffler, who got a $0 paycheck today."

"For someone to say that it could go on for months or years, we don't have months or years," Corrections officer Angie Acklin said. "Our creditors are not going to give us an IOU. I talked to one this morning and was like, 'Hey, can we work this out?' And they basically said, 'I'll see you in court.'"

"the Food and Drug Administration has curtailed inspections of food-processing facilities during the partial shutdown, although it says it’s working to inspect “high-risk” facilities. Last year, the FDA investigated 24 multistate outbreaks of foodborne illnesses, including salmonella, E. coli and listeria. Hundreds were sickened and at least five died from eating romaine lettuce."

"about 95,000 employees at the Justice Department are working without pay, which means the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration, Bureau of Prisons, and U.S. attorneys are working for free.
A short shutdown of a few days or a few weeks wouldn’t have much impact on their performance. But if the shutdown lasted for months or years (as Trump has threatened), who knows? These are stressful jobs in the best of times. Even government workers need to eat, pay the mortgage, make the car payment and pay their student loan."

"Over at the Coast Guard (which is also working without pay), the first responders have been advised by the brass to sell their possessions on Craigslist or take on babysitting jobs to make ends meet."

"For the American people, the cost of this impasse is enormous -- and growing by the day. The ongoing shutdown could cost as much as $13 billion a month, or $430 million a day, according to new analysis by personal finance website The Ascent. That figure includes unpaid wages for government workers and federal income assistance programs that may soon run dry."

"The next major hit will come in February when the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) runs out of money. SNAP, which falls under the Department of Agriculture, provides food assistance for low- and no-income Americans (mostly families with children). If it can't meet its obligations in February, many of the 40 million people it serves will go hungry."

Have fun, US citizens. And remember who did this to you!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Shadowman, Mary Mary

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149264

• Mawai
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3736
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annette wrote: "The wall has always been there. They need to amend it. There certainly other resources that will be utilized
to take care of the aircraft...why not? Our resources are unlimited."

This is too funny! The US has unlimited resources! Sure, that is why they attacked Iraq to get to the oil!
Good grief, some people really dont have a clue.
Maybe in the country of origin of ms Serena facts about recources are not taught, but it seems to me she has a very funny idea about the country she fled too.

If it wasnt so sad it would be funny, the people living in former East Germany take to fascism too.
They dont like refugees, eventhough they all, every single one of them, are refugees, wanted to be a refugee, or are children of refugees or wannabee-refugees.

And no, I am not willing to read some blog to find out where someone originally came from.
Maybe some people are ashamed of their refugee-status, and maybe they try to hide their origin.
Who knows?

I am European and it was first Iraq that invaded Kuwait in 1990. This provoked what we call the "Gulf War".
An international coalition in which the United States participated is formed under a UN mandate to condemn Iraq.
In this war, there are only losers economically speaking. To say that the United States has enriched itself with Iraqi oil is, IMO, a counter-truth.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Serena77, Michaela

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149283

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4357
  • Honor Medal 2010
I just saw a segment on the news here in US, they interviewed some protesting the shutdown and asked them were you here protesting when it happened last time? When was that? When Obama shut it down "WELL THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFEFRENT" HE CARES ABOUT US!!!!!!!!!

That just about says it all so plainly, and we wonder why we face some of the issues we do, so plainly explained.
Topsy there are just some that...………..
Northwind today blows a coming change......
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149317

• Shadowman
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2731
  • Honor Medal 2010
As pointed out by others above, the negative effects of the Trump shutdown are piling up. Airport terminals are now beginning to shut down and cut back. The prospect of working without pay for months or years is not appealing to many. And as of today Trump has tied for the longest shutdown (21 days), and this is already his third.

In contrast, Obama saw only one government shutdown while president. The government shut down for a whopping 16 days beginning Oct. 1, 2013, after conservative Republicans, led by Sen. Ted Cruz, refused to pass a spending measure that did not include language aimed at defunding or delaying the Affordable Care Act. After more than two weeks of both Obama and Congressional Democrats refusal to give in, conservative Republicans approved a spending measure nearly identical to the one they had rejected, Politico reported.

www.bustle.com/p/government-shutdowns-un...-priorities-15558601
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Vegemite Kid, Mary Mary, artifact

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149323

• Dan Dare
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3103
  • Honor Medal 2010
Talking in terms of metaphoric ill winds, I see those ill winds being blown back with storm force now the dems have the house. Why not, trump has been very, very nasty to them and now it's his turn to cop it. Like the child-man he is, he'll wail and scream, but fair's fair. Karma old son, be an adult and cop it sweet.
He dropped the bar so very embarrassingly low and now he's complaining about the backlash. Hypocrite.

Funnily enough I don't just speak from ideological values, but also the values in my little retirement nest-egg. I reckon Trump has personally cost me about $10k recently. The flow on effects from the China-US trade war, the breaking of previous trade agreements, global military uncertainty, the gathering confidence that Trump really is a loony (I'm amazed at how cavalier global news outlets are now so at ease at lambasting Trump, surely he's a great loss to US credibility. He's a Liability. Please US, get rid of your orange clown.)

We've had our crap governments and leaders here in the lucky land of Oz, and our stars too. We sack the crap leaders and governments. Trump's no star, he's a stupid crap leader, sack him and let your Government operate and steer your country.
The destiny of the USA shouldn't be down to just one man's 5am toilet tweets.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Vegemite Kid, Shadowman, Mary Mary, artifact

US Government shutdown 1 week 4 days ago #3149506

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 15114
  • Honor Medal 2010
I agree dan.

Although it is embarassing in a funny sort of way the number of times our PM has been sacked and replaced in last few years (I'm sure you heard the 'Only 3 prime ministers til Christmas jokes' last year too wink.png ) - but it does work as a safeguard - we elect the party to power not the individual - if the individual is not working, he/she can be safely replaced

Highly likely there will be yet another one later this year - but not replaced from within.wink.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, Mary Mary

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.