Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 month 4 weeks ago #3602695

• Damaged Goods
  • Damaged Goods's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 81
  • Honor Medal 2010
The first two were kittens Annie and Maxine some mama cat left at our front door.

Annie was just your typical orange tabby but with a cute, kitten face that lasted even 20 years later when she died. Really sweet pet.

Maxine was 80% white with some orange spots.

Before long I noticed something unusual about Maxine.

and had to change the name to Max. Despite being neutered, he was always ready to fight. Mockingbirds didn't dare attack him the way they attacked Annie. He disappeared after only four years. Guess he tangled with the wrong critter, like the fox, perhaps.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 month 4 weeks ago #3602697

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10917
  • Honor Medal 2010
Kittens are so adorable, sweet, and fluffy with different personalities

I do like the title of your thread... especially that you and your wife
were 'adopted' by the cats. So true.. in many cases. Pets do rule the
roost. They surprise us in many ways. What would we do without
them? The joy they give is immeasurable.

I veer more towards dogs, as pets though... they are not as independent.

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 month 4 weeks ago #3602903

• AM70
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 56
I had the same situation with a cat that adopted me. Was around for about 3 years, went over the fence and was never seen again. His brother was around for 7 years before he died. Miss him still. Happy your Annie stayed with you.

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 month 4 weeks ago #3602952

• caretaker
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 120
  • Honor Medal 2010
We did have 4 cats a long way back, all on our bed at night but one night i awoke with a cat purring in my face, i switched on my light only to find a stray cat, they have all past on now so we gave a go at a dog. on second reflection give me back the cats.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Freya

I wish i could spell proper first timer.

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 21 hours ago #3628356

• Freya
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 18
Where I am tends to be 'dog county' - good walking country ! However, it leads to many dogs left barking/yapping in the gardens, with little or no consideration for others. I do like dogs, but get fed up with the unnecessary noise they create.

Thank the Lord for my Cats !

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 18 hours ago #3628419

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1668
  • Honor Medal 2010
My step daughter has a kitten/cat which she took in as the person who got it originally couldn't cope with a kitten and then found out it was a boy not a girl! They basically asked her to watch it for a day and then disappeared/moved house the crafty gits.
My step daughter asked me only today who can she give it to as it is driving her mad and it has wee'd all over the place, she said she is following it around with a disinfectant spray and a mop.

I told her they are vermin just boot it out and it will go somewhere where there is food as they are not loyal at all.
She said no that's cruel so she has a cat if any body wants it free of charge and as soon as possible.
There isn't a cat shelter near her and as usual the RSPCA are not interested as there is no advertising in it for them.
Any ideas?

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 17 hours ago #3628458

• Freya
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer

Bruce wrote: My step daughter has a kitten/cat which she took in as the person who got it originally couldn't cope with a kitten and then found out it was a boy not a girl! They basically asked her to watch it for a day and then disappeared/moved house the crafty gits.
My step daughter asked me only today who can she give it to as it is driving her mad and it has wee'd all over the place, she said she is following it around with a disinfectant spray and a mop.

I told her they are vermin just boot it out and it will go somewhere where there is food as they are not loyal at all.
She said no that's cruel so she has a cat if any body wants it free of charge and as soon as possible.
There isn't a cat shelter near her and as usual the RSPCA are not interested as there is no advertising in it for them.
Any ideas?

That's a bad attitude Bruce, if I may say so

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 16 hours ago #3628498

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Freya wrote:

Bruce wrote: My step daughter has a kitten/cat which she took in as the person who got it originally couldn't cope with a kitten and then found out it was a boy not a girl! They basically asked her to watch it for a day and then disappeared/moved house the crafty gits.

Any ideas?

That's a bad attitude Bruce, if I may say so

I don't know what do with a cat which is wetting all over her house. She asked my opinion I told her, She declined so she can do what she wants.
I couldn't care less what she does with it if I am honest.
If you are near Cheshire and you want it you can have it.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 11 hours ago #3628617

• Freya
  • Junior Buzzer
  • Junior Buzzer
Has your Stepdaughter provided a litter tray for the poor cat? This should be placed in a quiet secluded area, and kept clean after every use.

Is the cat male or female? Has it been neutered/spayed? That could well be the problem if the cat is a tom - (unneutered male).

She could also try a Feliway plugin - albeit they are pricey, but invariably work with behavioural problems of this nature.

To be honest Bruce, I had little time for RSPCA until recently when I desperately needed help with the bevy of semi-ferals that invaded me (kittens in tow). Due to the total indifference encountered by a national charity that caters solely for cats. RSPCA have been exceptionally kind and helpful to me in transporting the 'little family' to and from the Vet in order to have them neutered and spayed.

Sorry Bruce, I've just re-read your post - it is a boy! I imagine this little fella has not been neutered, and this could well be the problem. Get your SD to take the little chap to the vet asap for his little operation.

Hoping all goes well.

What very uncaring people who previously owned him.

Wife and I were adopted by quite a few barn cats when we went rural 1 day 10 hours ago #3628631

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Freya wrote: Has your Stepdaughter provided a litter tray for the poor cat? This should be placed in a quiet secluded area, and kept clean after every use.

Is the cat male or female? Has it been neutered/spayed? That could well be the problem if the cat is a tom - (unneutered male).

She could also try a Feliway plugin - albeit they are pricey, but invariably work with behavioural problems of this nature.

To be honest Bruce, I had little time for RSPCA until recently when I desperately needed help with the bevy of semi-ferals that invaded me (kittens in tow). Due to the total indifference encountered by a national charity that caters solely for cats. RSPCA have been exceptionally kind and helpful to me in transporting the 'little family' to and from the Vet in order to have them neutered and spayed.

Sorry Bruce, I've just re-read your post - it is a boy! I imagine this little fella has not been neutered, and this could well be the problem. Get your SD to take the little chap to the vet asap for his little operation.

Hoping all goes well.

What very uncaring people who previously owned him.

Yes it has a litter tray and she has put it in the tray when it started weeing now the tray is the only place it doesn't wee! It is a boy and it is about 6 months old. The litter tray she said she changes it every day but the cat never goes in it, she rang the vets and asked them is the litter she is using etc and they said no what she was doing is correct, but they didn't want to take it off her hands.
She has done that fleeing juice stuff on it's neck and there are no fleas.
I think it is just a feral little bugger as when she picks it up to put it in the tray it hisses and scratches at her.
She didn't want a cat she has a 1 year old child and a husband that is enough for her, she was doing someone a favour and got stitched up and left with the thing, I think it was weeing in the owners house so they sneakily got rid of it to the stepdaughter.
Latest on the cat is her husband has put it on facebook or somewhere free to collector so hopefully the nightmare will be over soon. I said try finding them who left it there on facebook and if you find the address give it to me and I will return it and take money off them for the food litter flea stuff etc. It is bang out of order what they have done.
To be honest it is getting her down she is quite house proud they are in their first house and trying to get it all nice and this cat is weeing and driving her crazy, I just respect her patience with it so far.

I can't take to cats at all small medium or large they just make me feel uncomfortable and I can't be doing with them near me and will never have one on me. Similar to how some people are with big hairy spiders.

Fingers crossed someone will take it on board and look after it sooner rather than later.

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds