Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog?

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3504978

• RunsWithBeer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 96
  • Honor Medal 2010
Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys told Rolling Stone magazine: "My mother used to tell me about vibrations. I didn't really understand too much of what she meant when I was a boy. It scared me, the word 'vibrations' - to think that invisible feelings existed. She also told me about dogs that would bark at some people, but wouldn't bark at others, and so it came to pass that we talked about good vibrations."

....and the rest is history
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Keeper, Serena77

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3505006

• Dan Dare
  • Dan Dare's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 363
  • Honor Medal 2010
Lovely stories Bruce, Serena, RunsWithBeer, and all others.
One of my neighbouring families with young boys, decades ago, had a giant Bull Mastif called Bon. My girls called him Bomb. He was another gentle giant but had health issues and barely made 10. Poor dog.

That's why I prefer smaller dogs as they tend to live longer. My old Miniature Pinscher nearly made 20, and what a character. Totally dominant to all but me and was a racist. Not my influence. We had some lovely Indian friends who mad Mack would bark at. We told him off and lied that he did that to everyone!
Once he stopped traffic by getting out and holding up 3 cars at the bottom of my street by barking at them all in turn. Very embarrassing as I dragged him away. He weighed about 10lbs. I loved him dearly and cried a river when he had to be euthanized, at almost 20.
I once took him to a farm with 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks which Mack chased for fun til I stopped him. Intelligent, he responded well in deciding which of my commands to obey. I usually kept him in a harness and 6m retracting lease. Mad Mack. Not for the inexperienced. Ironically, the only person he ever bit was me. I was trying to pull a poisoned rat out of his mouth he'd finished off. Being reluctant to give up his prize he bit through it which also pierced my hand behind. He didn't aim for me but bit me through a dead rat. He backed off straight away and I had to get a tetanus shot.
Now I care for a needy delicate Denny, my Chihuahua X. Much easier.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 2 weeks ago #3505074

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 18490
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dan Dare wrote: Lovely stories Bruce, Serena, RunsWithBeer, and all others.
One of my neighbouring families with young boys, decades ago, had a giant Bull Mastif called Bon. My girls called him Bomb. He was another gentle giant but had health issues and barely made 10. Poor dog.

That's why I prefer smaller dogs as they tend to live longer. My old Miniature Pinscher nearly made 20, and what a character. Totally dominant to all but me and was a racist. Not my influence. We had some lovely Indian friends who mad Mack would bark at. We told him off and lied that he did that to everyone!
Once he stopped traffic by getting out and holding up 3 cars at the bottom of my street by barking at them all in turn. Very embarrassing as I dragged him away. He weighed about 10lbs. I loved him dearly and cried a river when he had to be euthanized, at almost 20.
I once took him to a farm with 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks which Mack chased for fun til I stopped him. Intelligent, he responded well in deciding which of my commands to obey. I usually kept him in a harness and 6m retracting lease. Mad Mack. Not for the inexperienced. Ironically, the only person he ever bit was me. I was trying to pull a poisoned rat out of his mouth he'd finished off. Being reluctant to give up his prize he bit through it which also pierced my hand behind. He didn't aim for me but bit me through a dead rat. He backed off straight away and I had to get a tetanus shot.
Now I care for a needy delicate Denny, my Chihuahua X. Much easier.

Thank you Dan, for openning this thread........dog lovers invariably love to swap stories ......it is an endless subject, 'man's
best friend." I have enjoyed reading all the comments.
"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Keeper

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 1 day ago #3510549

• RunsWithBeer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Is it me or is there an image of a girl with pigtails and a dog sitting in her lap on my dogs fur? It helps if you squint your eyes and drink margaritas with patron tequila.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, WWWoody

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 1 day ago #3510553

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1351
  • Honor Medal 2010
^^^^I see it. Perhaps a young Mother Mary.
Murica!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, RunsWithBeer

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 1 day ago #3510818

• RunsWithBeer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Mother Mary? Yeah I see it. So I guess I should start a cult, maybe some tik tok videos with people getting healed. Just need to make enough money to buy snow tires.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 month 1 day ago #3510823

• fastdawg1
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 46
  • Honor Medal 2010
With our Mini Aussiedoodle, Heather's pretty good with her. Sit, lay down, that kind of stuff. Very intelligent puppy. She got her an intermediate puzzle, and she solved it flawlessly on the very first exposure to it. It's not good having a dog smarter than you are!
Cowards die a thousand deaths, heroes die but once.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Keeper

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 3 weeks 6 days ago #3512639

• PJ54
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 398
I have a Border Collie called Chloe who just loves doing tricks apart from all the usual stuff if you ask her to sing and dance she jumps around in circles and howls she plays hide and seek and will bark on command and if you point two fingers like a gun and say stick them up she puts her front paws up and when you say bang she falls to the ground and plays dead lol
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Keeper, WWWoody, Bluebell

Last edit: by PJ54.

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 week 4 days ago #3519864

• Dan Dare
  • Dan Dare's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 363
  • Honor Medal 2010

PJ54 wrote: I have a Border Collie called Chloe who just loves doing tricks apart from all the usual stuff if you ask her to sing and dance she jumps around in circles and howls she plays hide and seek and will bark on command and if you point two fingers like a gun and say stick them up she puts her front paws up and when you say bang she falls to the ground and plays dead lol

Border Collies are so smart they're incredible.

What tricks, commands, idiosyncracies have you taught your dog? 1 week 4 days ago #3519913

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2070
  • Honor Medal 2010
Our Bess was a black lab crossed with a border collie. She herself figured out that hubby is deaf, and she would walk circles around him when they went out for a walk, just around the block maybe. Although a spayed bitch does not usually fight, she would drive off any dog coming near him. She would also "fetch" him when the telephone rang in the next room smile.png

She had this idea that I could not see outside when I was in the glass greenhouse in our garden, and a public pathway was next to our garden so anyone passing, she would bark a warning to me, in the greenhouse smile.png

She was wonderful with the grandchildren, so gentle, but never left alone with any young child......that is my way. I was brought up with dogs. My parents bred show dogs. I would not leave any dog alone with a very young child.

One day an intruder came in through our open patio doors. I didn't hear him, I was in the kitchen cutting bread with an electric sawknife that buzzed....but she was in the living room.....................she gave a warning bark, then attacked.....I heard and came thtough fast and saw him running away. He was sucking on his hand where she had had him........she knew he was not supposed to be there.

She was also a wonderful guard dog, and would stand on hind legs growling at anyone who dared knock our door, until I held her collar lightly, and opened door, satisfied myself the caller was ok, then I would just quietly say to her......"Bess.....leave"....she would then drop to the floor, circle and lay behind me watching.

She was always my black shadow.

A very health dog, she was 14, when one very hot Summer's day she had fit after fit, and I called the vet. It was Bank Holiday Sunday, but he came. He said she had had strokes that day, and it had made massive damage to her heart. She went quietly under the apple tree in our garden, with me holding her head on my lap, telling her.."you are my Bess...good as gold..".........

That was 1999. Still missing her...............

Each dog has a different personality, but they love ......they love Indiscriminately, and wholeheartedly.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Dan Dare, Aida

Moderators: mikePatssmilesrus10Pascalou
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds