Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on News and Current Affairs issues.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Big Brother is here

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994428

• KayyGee
  • KayyGee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 854
  • Honor Medal 2010
There is discussion and proposed legislation proceeding in the UK House that will provide the Government with the power to look at every financial account of anyone receiving a Government benefit, including pensioners, without having to first obtain legal authority from a court under suspicion of some form of misconduct, they can just look.

Don't bank those XMas cash presents from the grand kids, seems to be the word, keep it under your mattress.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994499

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1373
  • Honor Medal 2010
With inflation as high as it has been and still is, putting it under the mattress would mean it would decrease in value a lot over the year, so I will not be putting any money under my mattress anytime soon. Any excess money needs to earn interest while you don't need to use it these days. If the money was given to you from a legitimate source, then there is nothing to worry about .
The following user(s) said Well Said: GerryM

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994532

• knighten
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 276
  • Honor Medal 2010
Over a billion being lost in benefits fraud .Should have been done a long time ago. Taxes can't keep on going up. There are people ripping off the tax payer left right and centre .If you receive a free lunch no harm in the government checking you are entitled to it
The following user(s) said Well Said: Lenny, DaveA

Last edit: by knighten.

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994558

• shrubby
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 490
  • Honor Medal 2010
If they stopped beenfits for Immigrants who have paid nothing toward the system that would be a big start savings on Social and Medical care which must come to a large sum Why look to puinish those legally entitled to benefits
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuietMouse01, Keeper, Elizabeth

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994643

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1395
  • Honor Medal 2010
If we are talking about immigrants in the process of claiming asylum, they are not able to claim mainstream benefits. Neither are they allowed to work. They get shelter and a small amount of money for essential living expenses from the Home Office while waiting for their claims to be processed. ( for hygiene products etc. )

As to benefit fraud it’s more often than not committed by UK citizens rather than immigrants.

A lot of fraud was committed on line by UK firms and businesses submitting exaggerated and false claims when furlough was introduced during Covid; this became known in HMRC as 'furlough fraud' . It caused havoc. Kicking your own country when it's on its knees during a pandemic - disgraceful !
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mila, cahoots, Yo, Keeper, DaveA, GerryM, Freya, bjean1963, Pats

'Take the log out of your own eye then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.'
Matthew 7: 5
Last edit: by Aida.

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994750

• habibi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 648
  • Honor Medal 2010

Sandgrounder wrote: With inflation as high as it has been and still is, putting it under the mattress would mean it would decrease in value a lot over the year, so I will not be putting any money under my mattress anytime soon. Any excess money needs to earn interest while you don't need to use it these days. If the money was given to you from a legitimate source, then there is nothing to worry about .

Hi Sandy smile.png

It's not always where the money comes from, people on benefits are only allowed to have a certain amount in savings, I'm not sure what happens if someone has more than their savings limit.

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994753

• KayyGee
  • KayyGee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 854
  • Honor Medal 2010

habibi wrote:

Sandgrounder wrote: With inflation as high as it has been and still is, putting it under the mattress would mean it would decrease in value a lot over the year, so I will not be putting any money under my mattress anytime soon. Any excess money needs to earn interest while you don't need to use it these days. If the money was given to you from a legitimate source, then there is nothing to worry about .

Hi Sandy smile.png

It's not always where the money comes from, people on benefits are only allowed to have a certain amount in savings, I'm not sure what happens if someone has more than their savings limit.

I think this is the point being made about the UK Governments latest move, they can look at you savings at anytime and if you have exceeded their arbitrary limit they can reduce your benefit proportionally. So if you receive funds from any source, including gifts, and put it away for a rainy day, or you reduce your spending to save for a special occasion, and that puts you above you approved limit, a benefit cut could follow.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Last edit: by KayyGee.

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994800

• Sandgrounder
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1373
  • Honor Medal 2010
I know from a colleague who's spouse worked in the local tax office as far back as in the 80's that she had the job of looking through all the local papers for adverts of local businesses and other local sales, checking out that they where legitimate businesses and not part of the grey economy, and they could then do all these sort of checks to gather evidence needed to reclaim tax owed. Whenever I returned home from working abroad at the end of my contract, I would sign on at the unemployment centre, because I was married and had joint savings with my wife, I was only able to get the basic unemployment package at that time, and had no issues with them or the tax man.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3994817

• Vienna
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 972
  • Honor Medal 2010
Why am i not shocked?

Surely anyone in receipt of benefits need to prove to the government that they need those benefits to survive.
Otherwise any tom, dick, or harriet would be claiming, and taking away from those who really need it.

The idea they can access private bank and savings accounts doesn't worry me at all.

It would worry those who are claiming and shouldn't be doing so.
The following user(s) said Well Said: DaveA

Big Brother is here 2 months 2 weeks ago #3995036

• Pop1
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 117
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes all those working cash in hand over the years putting it in to different accounts on one name need to be worried and those that paid by card need to be extra worried ,, most should not have to much to worry about Big Brother ..

• Page:
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds