Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on News and Current Affairs issues.

TOPIC: How can this be in the modern age?

How can this be in the modern age? 2 days 8 hours ago #3894727

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 416
  • Honor Medal 2010

DaveA wrote: Do you feel the same about alcoholics? Seems as though our generation gives a pass to boozers but comes down hard on drug users.
They're all in one basket as far as I'm concerned, but I suppose as most of us consume alcohol in varying amounts, it makes us uncomfortable to get too close to our own behaviors.

Anytime anyone needs a substance to enable them to deal with life, it's a tragedy, no matter the substance.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How can this be in the modern age? 2 days 8 hours ago #3894730

• KayyGee
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 586
  • Honor Medal 2010
So what are you saying, I should stop eating and drinking, though I agree every thing in moderation.

How can this be in the modern age? 2 days 1 hour ago #3894786

• waimiha
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 152
Everyone is addicted in some way or other.
Food, coffee, tea, alcohol, prescription drugs, tobacco, pot, Tv, internet .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vienna

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 22 hours ago #3894812

• munch
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 15

Bruce wrote:

munch wrote:

Bruce wrote: [quote

I'm sorry Bruce , whilst you might come from Stoke-on-Trent, it is my neck of the woods and I live only 10 miles away.
I'm not keen on the area, partly due to the influx of mosques and obvious differences in cultures but I can't recognise the place you are describing. I have as many reservations about Stoke as any other urban area nowadays but that is more down to eroding society and lack of values and rising crime and the state of thre whole nation. Not specific to Stoke.
And to say ... if a whole family goes out for more than 30 minutes the house will be empty by time they get back this is honest ...is rank exageration if not an outright absolute lie.
It's no rougher than Manchester or Liverpool ... and it certainly is not yet a no-go aresa with daily drive by shootings.

The reason for the £1 houses is the same scheme as was done in Liverpool and doubtless other area needing redevelopment. Old housing needs to be bulldozed and the council tend to provide grants to encourage people to buy/invest. Middleport was the same. As was Newchapel back in the 1970's where once old miners houses were condemned and sold off cheap to encourage redevelopment.

Nor do you bother to mention Central (Hanley ) Forest Park ... all reclaimed land from the North Staffrdshire coalfields which was landscaped and turned into a picnic area, a park with lakes.

You obviously do not like Stoke and it's neighbouring locality but it is no worse nor no better than your average British city and I'm sure better than others ...and certainly not, as you choose to dub it .....'depraved'

If you live near by you see the name of the street in the documentary Portland street Hanley go from Cobridge lights where the big Mercedes dealership is and go towards Hanley down the hill and take the second right Portland street, Drive past the great big Cameras which cctv the whole street which is odd seeing as most council cctv is used on roads not side streets full of private houses unless there is a huge problem, go to the bottom and that old pub which used to be the Portland inn run by Russell when I lived there years ago, if you met Russell and his mum you won't forget them Russell looked like the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.
Go and knock on a few doors down there and ask them if it is wrong. The shop across the road which used to belong to a good family the Beardmores is now closed down, The lady of that shop who's name began with an M and her late husband was an R told me face to face they can't go out as everything will be gone also people I know who live there still in Denbigh street and Rutland street will verify it go and knock on their doors and ask them if you want to know.
Years ago maybe 1983 something like that a child got run over on Century street and sadly passed, The council then put bollards in to stop traffic going from Cobridge road to the top of Century street where Tesco used to be and since then the area slowly died no one came in to it only those who lived there and it slowly got derelict and depraved to the point where most of the houses stood empty with people just moving away, My mum and dad were such people.
Yes the housing scheme was run to try and get the area back on it's feet we know this but did it? No it didn't it is worse than ever, Now they even have iron gates on the entrance to the back gullys to try and stop people stealing or prowling around etc it is a dive and it needs bulldozing from the top of Century street and stop at Cobridge lights.
Drive by shootings? I never said there was drive by shootings.

It may not be worse or as bad as other areas but I am not on about other areas I am on about the state of the place I grew up in and how it has become a complete dump with derelict houses crime at a very high rate and drugs are awash in the area.
The area I am referring to starts at Cobridge lights goes down to Portland street all the way down Portland street to Century street back up Century street to Cobridge Road and the back up Cobridge road to the lights, all the area in between those roads is awful, If you think it is a safe area go spend some time there and speak to the people who live there, even the druggies say it is a dump and needs blowing up.
When I lived, burglaries and crime was very low there everyone knew each other we had fun respect and the park at the top was clean and fun now it is full of syringes and people passed out with monkey dust or other drugs in their system. Go and have a look if you live so close.
What is not to believe when the people who live there are saying on camera "Before their kids can go play football on the green" The green is opposite that old pub where houses used to be but got demolished at some time after I had left, They have to kick passed out druggies out the goal area so they can play! That is not normal.

Hanley forest park was done in the early 70s if I recall dates correct after Hanley Deep pit closed in about 62-63 era, my mum took me to the opening when the queen opened it, what happened back then was way different to what happens today.
I believe they did something with Forest park in the late80s all though I am not sure what, they did build a load of houses on the top end of it by Union street around 1978ish but I was long gone from Stoke a couple of years later.

To be honest I know many a person who still lives in Stoke Bradley area and my sis lives along High Lane towards where High Lane Oatcakes is and they are all the same, they say it is rough but not that bad! the reason they say that is because they have never moved away to somewhere decent and then gone back and thought OMG what has happened here, When my other sis got divorced she left Stoke and her husband and came to live with me, she stayed for about 10 months (it was hard work lol) she said wow this area where I live is so nice so friendly such little crime etc and I said you mean normal? My area is a normal area I know there is a few drug users and I know there are a few criminals but nothing compared to where I grew up, She knows how bad Stoke is as my mum lives in Cobridge and my sis stays with her to look after her as mum has dementia. My sis hates the place she says it is full of druggies or thieves most according to her are asylum seekers who just rob.

Yes there is plenty of mosques which appeared like the one on Waterloo road which used to be the old Workingmans club I can't recall the name of the club, But most the people I have seen going in and out of there are just ordinary people going about there religious business, not smoking drugs and passing out all over the place.

Go on youtube and just enter stoke on trent and have a look at the place different videos......................
Have a look at the comments from people who live or did live in Stoke below the videos.
Vast majority say what I say it is a crime ridden drug infested run down dump with so many derelict and boarded up shops the window cleaners have a sander!

I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument with you Bruce.
Every area has it 'deprived' but not depraved area. I would never call Stoke people depraved.

Did you spot at the very beginning of that video you posted
The woman, with three dogs, walks down the road and enters her house and the first thing you see is a whoppin TV stuck on the wall.
Based on that, I would say the standard of living isn't great but not the vision I expected with houses cleared out and robbed.. The area is clearly not ideal, far from it and everyone has it's area that need regenerating , redevelopment and investment.but the whole of the area?

You did mystify me when you said ...
I believe they did something with Forest park in the late80s all though I am not sure what, .....

Gawd, it was a mess down there. Don't you know what it used to look like. Hideous.
Old slap heaps from the mining industry and a right eyesore. Hanley Forest Park was a grand reclamation scheme and pretty successful. After that there was the Festival Park at Etruria.
However, the area has had a double whammy. The 'potbank' industry is dead now and was the major lifeline for the area, along with mining and Shelton Bar (closed 1978 and at it's peak employed, I think, about 10,000 men).

And your mum lives at Cobridge? Yup, know that area too. Asylum seekers? More than likely. Nothing against them, if they are genuine, but this country should really look after it's own first. .not them.

There's not been nearly enough investment to recover from that kind of industrial downturn but along with a great many other places, the local councils make noises about finding funding but never do.
I'm not singing it's praises. far from it, just trying to provide some balance. You're too dystopian.
I tell you what really offended all the locals and you'll like this .. in 1997 when Philip, the then Duke of Edinburgh visited the area he called it 'ghastly'.
Well ..after Windsor Park and Royal hunting grounds it would be wouldn't it.
Like everywhere else, there are nice bits if you look and areas to avoid.

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 22 hours ago #3894814

• munch
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 15
Oerr ... I hope that makes sense I don't think I've got the hang of quoting. Far too long!

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 21 hours ago #3894840

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 416
  • Honor Medal 2010

KayyGee wrote: So what are you saying, I should stop eating and drinking, though I agree every thing in moderation.

You saw the post I was replying too, you saw saw my post, you know what I am saying; so you just do what you feel you have to do.

Last edit: by senile1.

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 21 hours ago #3894841

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010

munch wrote:

Bruce wrote:

munch wrote:

Bruce wrote: [quote

I'm sorry Bruce , whilst you might come from Stoke-on-Trent, it is my neck of the woods and I live only 10 miles away.
I'm not keen on the area, partly due to the influx of mosques and obvious differences in cultures but I can't recognise the place you are describing. I have as many reservations about Stoke as any other urban area nowadays but that is more down to eroding society and lack of values and rising crime and the state of thre whole nation. Not specific to Stoke.
And to say ... if a whole family goes out for more than 30 minutes the house will be empty by time they get back this is honest ...is rank exageration if not an outright absolute lie.
It's no rougher than Manchester or Liverpool ... and it certainly is not yet a no-go aresa with daily drive by shootings.

The reason for the £1 houses is the same scheme as was done in Liverpool and doubtless other area needing redevelopment. Old housing needs to be bulldozed and the council tend to provide grants to encourage people to buy/invest. Middleport was the same. As was Newchapel back in the 1970's where once old miners houses were condemned and sold off cheap to encourage redevelopment.

Nor do you bother to mention Central (Hanley ) Forest Park ... all reclaimed land from the North Staffrdshire coalfields which was landscaped and turned into a picnic area, a park with lakes.

You obviously do not like Stoke and it's neighbouring locality but it is no worse nor no better than your average British city and I'm sure better than others ...and certainly not, as you choose to dub it .....'depraved'

If you live near by you see the name of the street in the documentary Portland street Hanley go from Cobridge lights where the big Mercedes dealership is and go towards Hanley down the hill and take the second right Portland street, Drive past the great big Cameras which cctv the whole street which is odd seeing as most council cctv is used on roads not side streets full of private houses unless there is a huge problem, go to the bottom and that old pub which used to be the Portland inn run by Russell when I lived there years ago, if you met Russell and his mum you won't forget them Russell looked like the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.
Go and knock on a few doors down there and ask them if it is wrong. The shop across the road which used to belong to a good family the Beardmores is now closed down, The lady of that shop who's name began with an M and her late husband was an R told me face to face they can't go out as everything will be gone also people I know who live there still in Denbigh street and Rutland street will verify it go and knock on their doors and ask them if you want to know.
Years ago maybe 1983 something like that a child got run over on Century street and sadly passed, The council then put bollards in to stop traffic going from Cobridge road to the top of Century street where Tesco used to be and since then the area slowly died no one came in to it only those who lived there and it slowly got derelict and depraved to the point where most of the houses stood empty with people just moving away, My mum and dad were such people.
Yes the housing scheme was run to try and get the area back on it's feet we know this but did it? No it didn't it is worse than ever, Now they even have iron gates on the entrance to the back gullys to try and stop people stealing or prowling around etc it is a dive and it needs bulldozing from the top of Century street and stop at Cobridge lights.
Drive by shootings? I never said there was drive by shootings.

It may not be worse or as bad as other areas but I am not on about other areas I am on about the state of the place I grew up in and how it has become a complete dump with derelict houses crime at a very high rate and drugs are awash in the area.
The area I am referring to starts at Cobridge lights goes down to Portland street all the way down Portland street to Century street back up Century street to Cobridge Road and the back up Cobridge road to the lights, all the area in between those roads is awful, If you think it is a safe area go spend some time there and speak to the people who live there, even the druggies say it is a dump and needs blowing up.
When I lived, burglaries and crime was very low there everyone knew each other we had fun respect and the park at the top was clean and fun now it is full of syringes and people passed out with monkey dust or other drugs in their system. Go and have a look if you live so close.
What is not to believe when the people who live there are saying on camera "Before their kids can go play football on the green" The green is opposite that old pub where houses used to be but got demolished at some time after I had left, They have to kick passed out druggies out the goal area so they can play! That is not normal.

Hanley forest park was done in the early 70s if I recall dates correct after Hanley Deep pit closed in about 62-63 era, my mum took me to the opening when the queen opened it, what happened back then was way different to what happens today.
I believe they did something with Forest park in the late80s all though I am not sure what, they did build a load of houses on the top end of it by Union street around 1978ish but I was long gone from Stoke a couple of years later.

To be honest I know many a person who still lives in Stoke Bradley area and my sis lives along High Lane towards where High Lane Oatcakes is and they are all the same, they say it is rough but not that bad! the reason they say that is because they have never moved away to somewhere decent and then gone back and thought OMG what has happened here, When my other sis got divorced she left Stoke and her husband and came to live with me, she stayed for about 10 months (it was hard work lol) she said wow this area where I live is so nice so friendly such little crime etc and I said you mean normal? My area is a normal area I know there is a few drug users and I know there are a few criminals but nothing compared to where I grew up, She knows how bad Stoke is as my mum lives in Cobridge and my sis stays with her to look after her as mum has dementia. My sis hates the place she says it is full of druggies or thieves most according to her are asylum seekers who just rob.

Yes there is plenty of mosques which appeared like the one on Waterloo road which used to be the old Workingmans club I can't recall the name of the club, But most the people I have seen going in and out of there are just ordinary people going about there religious business, not smoking drugs and passing out all over the place.

Go on youtube and just enter stoke on trent and have a look at the place different videos......................
Have a look at the comments from people who live or did live in Stoke below the videos.
Vast majority say what I say it is a crime ridden drug infested run down dump with so many derelict and boarded up shops the window cleaners have a sander!

I'm not going to get into a back and forth argument with you Bruce.
Every area has it 'deprived' but not depraved area. I would never call Stoke people depraved.

Did you spot at the very beginning of that video you posted
The woman, with three dogs, walks down the road and enters her house and the first thing you see is a whoppin TV stuck on the wall.
Based on that, I would say the standard of living isn't great but not the vision I expected with houses cleared out and robbed.. The area is clearly not ideal, far from it and everyone has it's area that need regenerating , redevelopment and investment.but the whole of the area?

You did mystify me when you said ...
I believe they did something with Forest park in the late80s all though I am not sure what, .....

Gawd, it was a mess down there. Don't you know what it used to look like. Hideous.
Old slap heaps from the mining industry and a right eyesore. Hanley Forest Park was a grand reclamation scheme and pretty successful. After that there was the Festival Park at Etruria.
However, the area has had a double whammy. The 'potbank' industry is dead now and was the major lifeline for the area, along with mining and Shelton Bar (closed 1978 and at it's peak employed, I think, about 10,000 men).

And your mum lives at Cobridge? Yup, know that area too. Asylum seekers? More than likely. Nothing against them, if they are genuine, but this country should really look after it's own first. .not them.

There's not been nearly enough investment to recover from that kind of industrial downturn but along with a great many other places, the local councils make noises about finding funding but never do.
I'm not singing it's praises. far from it, just trying to provide some balance. You're too dystopian.
I tell you what really offended all the locals and you'll like this .. in 1997 when Philip, the then Duke of Edinburgh visited the area he called it 'ghastly'.
Well ..after Windsor Park and Royal hunting grounds it would be wouldn't it.
Like everywhere else, there are nice bits if you look and areas to avoid.

Don't worry about long quotes I have being trying to do short ones for years but I am just useless at saying what I need in two lines as you can tell.

Forest park was all the slag heaps before I used to play over there with my mates, The old Howletts factory by the marlhole, how dangerous was that hole full of rubbish and all covered over with deep water!
I remember when they revamped it first time from the slag heaps, I actually swam in the lake on there in summer times as it was clean back then, great fun having races the long way to the island in the middle.
That was the 70s though, I thought I may be wrong they did a bit of a regen in the 80s?
The fun fair on the car park was always a laugh up there.

Thing is with Stoke it has lost Shelton Bar, my dad worked on there and in Hanley Deep pit in between going in the army.
The fun we had on Shelton Bar after hours lol there was always a train still hot which we could drive after pulling and pushing every lever in there to get it move lol we became a dab hand, proper Casey Jones stuff.
I won't mention the amount of scrap we took from there to weigh in when it closed but back then no one cared, police used to see you transporting it on a trolley and didn't bat an eye.
The pottery industry died most went to Malaysia I think and thousands had to find alternative employment which became hard in itself.
Festival Park I recall reading in the sentinel they were going to put in a 10 screen cinema and bowling and a lake and restaurant they even mentioned a dry ski run, I didn't believe it at the time but fair play they did it and it is one of the good things in Stoke.

If you move away and when you go back you realise how miserable the people are as a whole, there is no comradeship, when documentary crews speak to people they nearly all say it is rubbish now and the areas are getting more and more run down, areas which used to be bubbling like Hanley and Burslem.
I am sure there are some places which are nice it used to be Trentham but now I don't know I have been there once in 30 years to visit Monkey Forest.
My point is the area I grew up in is awful, in every way you want to describe awful that area is it.

Have a watch of these the first one is Hanley in the 70s when I loved the place.
The second is Hanley in 2023 and in this video these is the odd profanity.

Hanley in 70s

Hanley in 2023

RETIRED WITH GRACE

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 19 hours ago #3894847

• MoonlitRoads63
  • Well said received: 658
  • Honor Medal 2010
Stoke-on-Trent, for all its problems, is by no means the worst place to live. There's a website that people can describe the towns they live in and vote each year for Britain's worst towns to live. Stoke-on-Trent is only the 29th worst. Even 'posh' Wilmslow doesn't escape the negative comments. Most places have some problems, how bad they are is a matter of what you're used to.

I'm not posting a link as the website in question is littered with foul language but a search of the Internet for worst places to live UK will find it if you're interested.

Time waits for no one...
...and it won't wait for me

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 18 hours ago #3894859

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010

MoonlitRoads63 wrote: Stoke-on-Trent, for all its problems, is by no means the worst place to live. There's a website that people can describe the towns they live in and vote each year for Britain's worst towns to live. Stoke-on-Trent is only the 29th worst. Even 'posh' Wilmslow doesn't escape the negative comments. Most places have some problems, how bad they are is a matter of what you're used to.

I'm not posting a link as the website in question is littered with foul language but a search of the Internet for worst places to live UK will find it if you're interested.

I have seen some of those videos, Some of the places I was surprised to find them in the top ten of worst places to live etc.
Stoke normally comes under the worst places in a list of top tens towns. Well Stoke is a city split in to towns but it gets called a town for some reason.

Wilmslow is a ten minute drive from me and it has a few problems but nothing like other places,
I am sure there is worse places to live than Stoke but after I lived there and had such a great time growing up there, now I see how forgotten it is and how many of the areas are run down it stings a bit.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

RETIRED WITH GRACE

How can this be in the modern age? 1 day 14 hours ago #3894955

• Aida
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1214
  • Honor Medal 2010
It’s really sad to see the place where you grew up change and become run down.
It’s happening all over the country: towns and cities with shops boarded up, nice little independent clothes and food shops becoming vape shops and tattoo parlours, people sleeping in doorways in broad daylight, empty offices with cracked windows, covered in graffiti, that could provide shelter for those who have nowhere to sleep except doorways and the graveyard.
I am sorry that night shelters are being closed down. I am sorry for homeless addicts who can’t get help, sorry any benefits of levelling are unlikely to filter down to them. It is a sad reflection on the modern age.

Last edit: by Aida.
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds