Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on News and Current Affairs issues.

TOPIC: Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874579

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 726
  • Honor Medal 2010
a good example of how easy the access to guns is - and how that leads to such consequences.

Because not only are these shootings carried out by angry young men - they are also often young men with poor impulse control.

I dont think anybody disputes that people can need guns in all our countries for legitimate purposes - farmers, hunters, people in competition sports....

But you have background checks, cooling off periods, laws about safe storage etc

so that those people who do use a guns for such purposes can have one but buying one is controlled and the gun is used for that purpose only

you dont just a carry a weapon wherever you go in case you get attacked by someone else with a weapon.:unsure: :unsure:
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, bluegrassmusicfan, Pats, Amandine

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874601

• Robin
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 324
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have no problem with a "cool down period" but it not a law in all the states. That's the governments fault, they write the laws.

Just following the law.

"I" only carry a gun when I need one. But "most" those that carry guns, when ever are just following the law. Again the government writes the laws and most people follow them.

Back to the beginning, small laws need to be added, a little at a time. People are more understanding that way.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874634

• senile1
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 416
  • Honor Medal 2010

Robin wrote: I have no problem with a "cool down period" but it not a law in all the states. That's the governments fault, they write the laws.

Just following the law.

"I" only carry a gun when I need one. But "most" those that carry guns, when ever are just following the law. Again the government writes the laws and most people follow them.

Back to the beginning, small laws need to be added, a little at a time. People are more understanding that way.

Those laws you speak of as being necessary are being blocked by the very Right -Wing candidates you vote into office, so if you say those laws are needed, and your candidates are one's who are typically blocking them.In actuality, your statements contradict your actions.So when you speak on the need of legislation to prevent gun violence, you are speaking with tongue in cheek.You talk a good talk, but your actions contradict.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, bluegrassmusicfan, Idlewild

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874705

• Bruce
  • Bruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: a good example of how easy the access to guns is - and how that leads to such consequences.

Because not only are these shootings carried out by angry young men - they are also often young men with poor impulse control.

I dont think anybody disputes that people can need guns in all our countries for legitimate purposes - farmers, hunters, people in competition sports....

But you have background checks, cooling off periods, laws about safe storage etc

so that those people who do use a guns for such purposes can have one but buying one is controlled and the gun is used for that purpose only

you dont just a carry a weapon wherever you go in case you get attacked by someone else with a weapon.:unsure: :unsure:

Go to Texas and see people who can carry many different guns, open carry on some large guns is now ok.
The law is the law over there and as much as I am the first to say I refuse to follow laws if I think the law is stupid, I don't live in Texas and accept if it is legal they are doing nothing wrong. Sadly it is stated by some Americans and I am sure Dennis or Robin can confirm this if it is in fact correct or not, Some guns in Texas you don't need a check to buy!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874709

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 776
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: a good example of how easy the access to guns is - and how that leads to such consequences.

Go to Texas and see people who can carry many different guns, open carry on some large guns is now ok.
The law is the law over there and as much as I am the first to say I refuse to follow laws if I think the law is stupid, I don't live in Texas and accept if it is legal they are doing nothing wrong. Sadly it is stated by some Americans and I am sure Dennis or Robin can confirm this if it is in fact correct or not, Some guns in Texas you don't need a check to buy!

It’s possible to buy a gun in a supermarket .
The following user(s) said Well Said: bluegrassmusicfan, Robin, Bruce

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874718

• cahoots
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1709
  • Honor Medal 2010

Idlewild wrote: Nothing will be done about the gun problem in the U.S., and it is a gun problem -- not a people problem. All countries have angry young men, but only the U.S. has the mass murder problem by angry young men, and that problem is rooted in the ubiquity of gun ownership. We have more guns than people here in the U.S.

The data shows that gun violence correlates highly with gun ownership. The states where a high percentage of people own guns have a higher incidence of gun violence than those with lower gun ownership rates. Homes with guns have higher rates of suicide and murder than those without. And the U.S. has the highest gun ownership rate in the world, which corresponds to it having the highest murder rate of any developed nation.

The Walmart shooter purchased his 9mm handgun just a few hours before he went on his rampage. Had there been a three day "cool-off" period, he might have changed his mind, but I guess that would have violated his 2nd Amendment right.

A little background on the 2nd Amendment... When our Founding Fathers authored the 2nd Amendment, they were adamantly against a standing army. Instead, they would use state militias in the defense of our country, should we be invaded. That is why they used the wording they did: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. It was a group right -- not an individual right.

But after a few decades, leaders came to the realization that you don't get the best and the brightest in volunteer militias. Instead, you get the dregs of society.

That is when the U.S. created a national standing army. The big mistake the government made was not ridding the Constitution of the 2nd Amendment.

Thank you for that explanation .... so essentially the original intention of the 2nd Amendment has been distorted?

If so I wonder if that can be used as a reason to change the law relating to private gun owenership?

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 1 day ago #3874729

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 726
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

oh I dont doubt any of that Bruce - clearly it is the law there and clearly laws need to be changed and gun culture changed if there is to be any reduction in these types of deaths.

But we all know that wont happen - so on and on cycle goes.

I've lost count of how many incidents such as the one in OP just in the few years I have been on Buzz.

(I guess my post might of been misunderstood - 'you have checks' etc probably should of read 'we have checks etc' - meaning we in places that do have effective gun laws and thus not these recurring incidents.)

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 23 hours ago #3874736

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Bruce wrote:

oh I dont doubt any of that Bruce - clearly it is the law there and clearly laws need to be changed and gun culture changed if there is to be any reduction in these types of deaths.

But we all know that wont happen - so on and on cycle goes.

I've lost count of how many incidents such as the one in OP just in the few years I have been on Buzz.

(I guess my post might of been misunderstood - 'you have checks' etc probably should of read 'we have checks etc' - meaning we in places that do have effective gun laws and thus not these recurring incidents.)

All the checks each state has in the USA is a step in the right direction when they were introduced but in reality, it is turned out to be pointless, If someone is turned down for the purchase of a gun and they still want one they can buy them from any shady dude on the streets no problem as easy as we can buy a dodgy dvd rip.
There is to many guns already sold legitimately which have found there way by hook or crook in the hands of criminals who will sell them off to anyone with no check or conscience.
There is far to many guns available to the sane and those who lose the plot to say ban guns now and it will stop the shootings from happening.
It will never stop which is not what anyone wants to hear but the only way it can stop is if those who carry out shootings stop picking up a gun.
The USA could change all the laws they want to on guns but criminals will not care a jot they will still carry them and they will still sell them. Changing the laws won't make any difference at all if no one takes any notice of the new laws.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

RETIRED WITH GRACE

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 23 hours ago #3874749

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1653
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

The law is the law over there and as much as I am the first to say I refuse to follow laws if I think the law is stupid,

Oh that may be a clue to the problem…….maybe those who commit gun crimes are all carried out by people who think the law is stupid.

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 2 months 23 hours ago #3874753

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:

The law is the law over there and as much as I am the first to say I refuse to follow laws if I think the law is stupid,

Oh that may be a clue to the problem…….maybe those who commit gun crimes are all carried out by people who think the law is stupid.

Possibly, there is some stupid petty laws which I refuse to abide by, so it may be possible some think serious laws like gun laws are petty and refuse to abide by them, well it is more than a possibility it is fact just look at how many illegal guns are on the streets in the states owned and sold by criminals. Or it could be because they make good money selling illegal guns.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bluegrassmusicfan, Robin

RETIRED WITH GRACE
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds