Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on News and Current Affairs issues.

TOPIC: Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 5 hours ago #3874144

• bluegrassmusicfan
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 119
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Robin wrote: As an American, I'm not understanding what unacceptable gun ownership is!

I believe that owning or being in possession of a lethal weapon is in itself unacceptable.

Watch out, Pats...someone will opine that a car or kitchen knife or hammer could be construed as a "lethal weapon"....:lol:
They don't understand the difference...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 4 hours ago #3874147

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1302
  • Honor Medal 2010

bluegrassmusicfan wrote:

Pats wrote:

Robin wrote: As an American, I'm not understanding what unacceptable gun ownership is!

I believe that owning or being in possession of a lethal weapon is in itself unacceptable.

Watch out, Pats...someone will opine that a car or kitchen knife or hammer could be construed as a "lethal weapon"....:lol:

Yes probably.
Carrying a knife or hammer with intent to use as a weapon is also unacceptable.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bluegrassmusicfan

Happy to help.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 4 hours ago #3874154

• senile1
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 281
  • Honor Medal 2010
[quote="Robin" post=3874080]Take the right away guns from law abiding citizens that are mentally stable because mentally unstable people.

Thats like taking away everyone vehicles because of bad vehicle operators.

That sounds like mass punishment. Makes sense.[/quote]

Therein lies one of the problems, many think you can determine an individuals mental / emotional stability when determining who is safe to own/ buy a weapon, and you cannot.Many with mental / emotional issues have never seen a doctor for their problems, and without examining those with emotional/ mental issues their fitness cannot be determined,furthermore, many with these issues will appear normal until faced with a personal crisis.Anyone can/ will "go off" faced with right/ wrong circumstances, making the judgement of anyone mental/ emotional fitness to own weapon unreliable.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Woody, Bruce

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 2 hours ago #3874210

• Robin
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 278
  • Honor Medal 2010

bluegrassmusicfan wrote:

Robin wrote: All Americans are groomed to believe what?

As an American, I'm not understanding what unacceptable gun ownership is!

"Unacceptable" is not having a background check before being able to buy a gun.
Having a crap-ton of guns...if you are a legit collector...that's one thing...but *just* because you CAN?
That's a red flag.
And, no private citizen ~needs~ an automatic or semi-automatic weapon....give me a reason other than "because I want one", and I will listen.

They do a back ground check on me every time I bought a gun. Everyone else that bought a gun from a business, has a back ground check done around here. I'm almost positive that is required everywhere.
Basically rules that out.

Not sure what a crap-ton is but a ton is 2000 lbs and I sure not that many own a ton of guns.

Just wondering should the law state how many lbs of guns a person's can own or should the law state how many guns a person can own. These minors have to be worked out exactly what is meant or nothing is getting fixed except lip service.

I have yet to find any information on how many guns mass shooters owned.

I guessing one has never been foul hunting, hog hunting, rabbit hunting, basically any kind of hunting, one might miss the first shoot or if there is more then one target.

I have hunted everything from squirrel up to elk. Thinking many haven't hunted anything outside a grocery store.

I use a .308 to hunt elk, should one hunt rabbit with a .308?

Robin

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 2 hours ago #3874215

• waimiha
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 53
99.9% of gun shooting reports out of the USA in the UK media are about mass shootings.
Yet 99.9% of gun deaths in the USA are not mass shootings.
So where are the news reports about this fact?
99.9% of gun deaths in the USA involve one victim.
But no news reports about that.
55% of all gun deaths in the USA are actually suicides.
Again no news about that.
40% of homicides gun deaths are drug related.
News reports?
50% of shooters and victims know each other.
Where is the reporting?
108 million Americans own a gun.
So 107 million 975 thousand American gun owners don't shoot any one.
No reporting?
Why?
Might spoil their narrative?
By the way I am not an advocate for gun ownership.
But nor do I believe non factual senasational reporting hiding the truth
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 1 hour ago #3874219

• Robin
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

That would rule out a lot of everyday items.

Knife, scissors a hammer are considered lethal weapons, even vehicles.

A lethal weapon means a deadly weapon. Any device, instrument, material, or any other substance that is capable of producing great bodily harm or death from the manner it is used or intended to be used, may be referred to as a lethal weapon
Deadly means 'able or likely to kill people', lethal is defined as 'very dangerous and able to kill you'

Went from owning to intent of misuse. Big difference.
Simple misuse if words in a conversation, can't you see the problem when there are over 400 representative trying to hash out the wording in a law. We can't even do it here with 10 people. But if the problem can't be seen, it's not going to.

Robin
Last edit: by Robin.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 1 hour ago #3874220

• Robin
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

bluegrassmusicfan wrote:

Pats wrote:

Or maybe someone does not understand the law or the English language

Robin
Last edit: by Pats. Reason: Sarcasm removed

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 1 hour ago #3874221

• Robin
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

senile1 wrote: [quote="Robin" post=3874080]Take the right away guns from law abiding citizens that are mentally stable because mentally unstable people.

Thats like taking away everyone vehicles because of bad vehicle operators.

That sounds like mass punishment. Makes sense.

Therein lies one of the problems, many think you can determine an individuals mental / emotional stability when determining who is safe to own/ buy a weapon, and you cannot.Many with mental / emotional issues have never seen a doctor for their problems, and without examining those with emotional/ mental issues their fitness cannot be determined,furthermore, many with these issues will appear normal until faced with a personal crisis.Anyone can/ will "go off" faced with right/ wrong circumstances, making the judgement of anyone mental/ emotional fitness to own weapon unreliable.[/quote]

I understand that but to fix the problem, take away every buddies guns, as in mass punishment.

Robin

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 4 days 4 minutes ago #3874231

• cahoots
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1347
  • Honor Medal 2010
This seems to be turning into another thread about the justification of being able to 'own' a gun rather than about another incident of mass murder by gun!

Mass murders by gun happen because guns are available.

If guns were removed from general circulation they could not be used for mass murder.

Guns are lethal weapons.

NO ONE NEEDS to 'own' one.

If no one has one you don't need to have one to protect yourself against them.

If you want to go and shoot animals, targets, vermin for pest control then join a club or get a job that involves those kinds of activities.

The guns you use would be the property of the club or company and you don't get to take them home with you.

That would immediaitely make it much more difficult for mass murder by gun to happen ... attempts to 'take out' a whole group of people by someone having an episode of 'rage' would be much easier to foil and would limit the severity of the attempt.

There is NO REASON why an individual NEEDS a gun in 2022/23.

NONE.

Guns kill people ... because people cannot be trusted to not use them to kill other people.

Yes because some people cannot be tusted EVERYBODY is 'punished' if you see it like that.

In the same way that not everybody gets a driving license, or access to narcotics, or poisons or jobs that involve high risk health and safety needs.

Mass murder alone is a good enough reason to withdraw guns from public ownership.

Add to that the 99.9% of lone murders by gun and that's a lot of lives saved every year.

The 99.9% of lone murders by gun are appaling too.

Mental Health - like Physical Health is some we ALL have BUT it is not fixed.

Mine or Your mental health can be fine one day but crash the next .... it is not FIXED in the same way that physical health is not fixed.

Also I don't think bunching ANGRY people with people who have compromised mental health acceptable.

Anger is an emotion ... it is not a mental health condition.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vegemite Kid, bluegrassmusicfan, Pats

There is a crack ... a crack in everything .... That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen ~ Anthem
Last edit: by cahoots.

Walmart Manager carries out Mass Shooting. 3 days 23 hours ago #3874238

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 1302
  • Honor Medal 2010

Robin wrote:

Pats wrote:

That would rule out a lot of everyday items.

Knife, scissors a hammer are considered lethal weapons, even vehicles.

A lethal weapon means a deadly weapon. Any device, instrument, material, or any other substance that is capable of producing great bodily harm or death from the manner it is used or intended to be used, may be referred to as a lethal weapon
Deadly means 'able or likely to kill people', lethal is defined as 'very dangerous and able to kill you'

This is another attempt to deflect the topic
This is about another mass shooting in America…….shooting as in guns.
A mass shooting that those in love with guns don’t appear to give a damn about.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bluegrassmusicfan

Happy to help.
Moderators: mikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds