Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on News and Current Affairs issues.

TOPIC: How would you prevent mass shooting.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 22 hours ago #3815937

• GerryM
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 416
  • Honor Medal 2010

shrubby wrote: After 24 pages of discussion on this matter it would appear that nothing is likely to change so why now close this particualar matter now as it's run it's course

BTW, I wonder if people in UK, understand the problem, since you have gun control and very few gun deaths.
This topic will never run its course if we have mass shooting of little kids and their teachers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 21 hours ago #3815956

• shrubby
  • Away
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 295
  • Honor Medal 2010
The question posed ws how to prevent mass shooting The answer plainly and clearly involved change in the gun laws and tighter gun control however it seems neith is likel to work as the 2nd amendment allows these things to happen. Repeated time and again the answer would be the same sadly as 60,000 fatalities a year never hanges either
I personally would love to see a change of laws to prevent this happening but it seems unlikely
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vegemite Kid, Pats

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 21 hours ago #3815964

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 615
  • Honor Medal 2010
With years supply of firearms, you really feel those intending on harming others really care anything about more laws? As far as that goes the street thugs also. Just last week a student was found with a thermos full of gasoline and multiple lighters, barely even a mention on the news. Yet who will the purposed laws honestly have an impact in? Those whom obey them darn sure not those who care less and do not. My non US born neighbor just made an honest statement just now: "the same people that wish more gun laws sure do not seem to really be concerned about lives as they rarely never mention drugs which take so many more lives nor doing anything to stop them and the deaths they cause, heck some wish them to be legal and less laws on them"..
That I have to agree with totally.

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.
Last edit: by Dennis 2.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 21 hours ago #3815968

• Robin
  • Robin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 512
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't mind/bother me, the laws on the books but some suggestions (to me) are foolish.

I think the red flag idea is as wrong as the day is long, if they do not make it specific.
We will say:
Wife and me get into a shouting match and a neighbor calls the police, who's call is it to say "red flag".

Or

He said he was going to shoot me. How does anyone know that was said? So the person gets "red flagged"?

That law is to vague and would easily be abused (in my opinion)

Robin

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 19 hours ago #3815992

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 615
  • Honor Medal 2010
red flag is a problem waiting to happen, from what I have read you have no say so at all
The following user(s) said Well Said: Robin

Schöne Dinge passieren in Ihrem Leben, wenn Sie sich distanzieren und negative Dinge und Menschen entfernen.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 19 hours ago #3816000

• GerryM
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thats why a court will make that decision.
If at your age you are arguing that much, might be a good idea to limit your ability to get to weapons period.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 19 hours ago #3816003

• GerryM
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Red flag laws are used in quite a few states. If there is an argument that needs the police and they deem the fire arms need to be taken, the process begins. I think it would a much better take guns/ weapons from people that are in a position to harm another. Maybe that extends to knives and vacuum cleaners I don't know better then letting the parties have hand guns or shotguns where one good shot and one of the couple dies.

www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/us/red-flag-laws-...iner-trnd/index.html
www.wfla.com/news/national/red-flag-laws...em-and-what-they-do/

Some 20 states and Wash DC. Fl enacted Red Flag laws after Parkland.

Last edit: by GerryM.

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 19 hours ago #3816007

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1077
  • Honor Medal 2010

GerryM wrote:

shrubby wrote: After 24 pages of discussion on this matter it would appear that nothing is likely to change so why now close this particualar matter now as it's run it's course

BTW, I wonder if people in UK, understand the problem, since you have gun control and very few gun deaths.
This topic will never run its course if we have mass shooting of little kids and their teachers.

If some nut job in the UK wants to get hold of a gun they can it is no where near as easy as it is in the USA but it can be done, So forgetting the guns let concentrate on the gunman, Why does America have far more than other countries of nutters who want to shoot people? China and India has many more people and the shooters of schools and malls is a spit in the ocean compared to America's nut jobs, In fact I would say USA is the worst country in the world for gun crime (I am not sure about that but when we hear of gun crime it is 99.9% the USA).

So what is it which makes Americans flip out and do it?
Many americans say they need a gun for your own safety which to me shows a sad sad state of affairs in your country, what is wrong with people that other people have to have guns to protect themselves from them?
Needing guns to protect yourselves because criminals will use guns on you and have no respect for life or nothing sounds like it is coming from some ancient tribal area of a long forgotten uncivilised race similar to Atilla the Hun and his crew or the old Vikings who were savage and that is going back to AD793, It is 2022 and we see the same behaviour so what is wrong?

I would suggest find out what triggers these people to carry out these atrocities is it education, upbringing, peer pressure, inbreeding or are most Americans just not as civilised as they think they are?
It is really confusing for folk outside the USA to understand what the hell is going on and what is wrong with people over there when we get a country the USA and they portray to be the leaders in many things world wide and the self claimed by USA to be the best country in the world but the image we see on tv and in the news is a beautiful country full of absolute crazy people and crime ridden and constant battles between themselves ie the crazyness of Trump and Biden, it goes back for years look from the 40s on when every American went berserk if they thought someone quite liked the idea of communism, The KKK etc I could go on.
Please help us out and explain why the country is as mad as a box of frogs in so many serious ways?
We all have bad bits of our countries but wow they certainly do it bigger in the USA, why though?

RETIRED WITH GRACE
Last edit: by Bruce. Reason: I missed a comma out!

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 19 hours ago #3816008

• GerryM
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Robin wrote: I don't mind/bother me, the laws on the books but some suggestions (to me) are foolish.

I think the red flag idea is as wrong as the day is long, if they do not make it specific.
We will say:
Wife and me get into a shouting match and a neighbor calls the police, who's call is it to say "red flag".

Or

He said he was going to shoot me. How does anyone know that was said? So the person gets "red flagged"?

That law is to vague and would easily be abused (in my opinion)

If you are in Texas either or both, don't worry about it. It's not a law there right now. How about if it does become a federal law, you give it a few years and see the data. Way too many people say " I feel its not going to work" your feelings are not at stake her. Appartently, its worked in other states, saved peoples lives and those are facts. Not your feelings.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vegemite Kid

How would you prevent mass shooting. 2 days 17 hours ago #3816027

• Vegemite Kid
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 917
  • Honor Medal 2010

If some nut job in the UK wants to get hold of a gun they can it is no where near as easy as it is in the USA but it can be done, So forgetting the guns let concentrate on the gunman, Why does America have far more than other countries of nutters who want to shoot people? China and India has many more people and the shooters of schools and malls is a spit in the ocean compared to America's nut jobs, In fact I would say USA is the worst country in the world for gun crime (I am not sure about that but when we hear of gun crime it is 99.9% the USA).

US is certainly by far the worst in developed countries

nut jobs in our countries (UK, Aus etc) cannot so easily get guns and cannot get the assault type weapons that kill many so quickly

so of course we have the occasional shooting death but nowhere near as many - and not these mass shootings where young man gets such gun easily and quickly.

Moderators: PascaloumikePatsMoonlitRoads63
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds