Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: What has happened to the police force

What has happened to the police force 6 days 12 hours ago #3616120

• knighten
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 256
  • Honor Medal 2010
The British Police Service is one of the best in the world.The majority know it .There will always be bitter disaffected individuals who are anti however the service is as good as it gets as there is no such thing as perfection.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What has happened to the police force 6 days 7 hours ago #3616186

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2965
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote: The British Police Service is one of the best in the world.The majority know it .There will always be bitter disaffected individuals who are anti however the service is as good as it gets as there is no such thing as perfection.

And there will always be police who are not the best - like the one in OP

Responding to those sort of events or to people who have had bad experiences with police as ' bitter disaffected individuals' seems very dismissive to me

A sort of ad honinem or shoot the messenger thing - instead of acknowledging there are bad apples and bad experiences.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

What has happened to the police force 6 days 1 hour ago #3616266

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1880
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

knighten wrote: The British Police Service is one of the best in the world.The majority know it .There will always be bitter disaffected individuals who are anti however the service is as good as it gets as there is no such thing as perfection.

Responding to those sort of events or to people who have had bad experiences with police as ' bitter disaffected individuals' seems very dismissive to me

A sort of ad honinem or shoot the messenger thing - instead of acknowledging there are bad apples and bad experiences.

And has been repeatedly acknowledged throughout the thread..
But some refuse to acknowledge the good work that our police force do, and seem determined to cast them in a bad light, by talking about a few of their own personal experiences, and constantly watching amateur Youtube videos day in, day out.
We still have one of the best forces in the world, despite some bad apples who will be weeded out by the system.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, QuinTSensual, knighten, Robin

What has happened to the police force 6 days 51 minutes ago #3616279

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1483
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

But some refuse to acknowledge the good work that our police force do, and seem determined to cast them in a bad light, by talking about a few of their own personal experiences, and constantly watching amateur Youtube videos day in, day out.
We still have one of the best forces in the world, despite some bad apples who will be weeded out by the system.

If you look at it in a total unbiased way and weigh up the pros and cons there is much which needs rewarding for fine police work and there is much which needs an overhaul.
It is pointless pretending it is all good or all bad, We need to look at the whole picture not just one side.

Someone asked me earlier in the thread why don't I level a complaint to the police if I think my routine stops are getting excessive.

This is a snip from just the Met a group of police officers who are highly trained officers who deal with the scum of society Rioters Terrorists etc, but as the report says when they are not doing that they are on the front line doing the job the normal beat bobby is doing.
Many complaints have been lodged against them and guess how many were upheld? Have a read and you will see the system we have in place for police complaints is well... suspect to use a word,
Does anyone think this is acceptable or when it is like this are we not correct in saying to protect the public the system needs looking at?

Met units.

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

What has happened to the police force 5 days 23 hours ago #3616325

• Pats
  • Away
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Well said received: 6131
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:
If you look at it in a total unbiased way and weigh up the pros and cons there is much which needs rewarding for fine police work and there is much which needs an overhaul.
It is pointless pretending it is all good or all bad, We need to look at the whole picture not just one side.

Someone asked me earlier in the thread why don't I level a complaint to the police if I think my routine stops are getting excessive.

This is a snip from just the Met a group of police officers who are highly trained officers who deal with the scum of society Rioters Terrorists etc, but as the report says when they are not doing that they are on the front line doing the job the normal beat bobby is doing.
Many complaints have been lodged against them and guess how many were upheld? Have a read and you will see the system we have in place for police complaints is well... suspect to use a word,
Does anyone think this is acceptable or when it is like this are we not correct in saying to protect the public the system needs looking at?

Met units.

I don’t think anyone is ‘‘pretending’ it’s all good or bad....

And maybe many of those ‘alleged’ complaints were not proven?
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, knighten, Robin

Happy to help.
Last edit: by Pats.

What has happened to the police force 5 days 23 hours ago #3616326

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1880
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bruce wrote:

Vienna wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Met units.

Hard to read the article as it was behind a pay wall.

I would be more concerned if no complaints were upheld.
People make allegations all the time, for all kinds of reasons, but many wont be worth close scrutiny.
Of the ones that are of a more serious nature the police obviously take appropriate action, and investigate those complaints properly, if they need to - many will be found to be 'invented', or have no foundation.
I believe the article gives some examples of the types of allegations that are being looked into at the moment.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, knighten

What has happened to the police force 5 days 23 hours ago #3616332

• Bruce
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1483
  • Honor Medal 2010

Pats wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Maybe many of those alleged complaints were not proven?

You could well be right Pats,
I have being trying to find out if when the complaint is dealt with by the same force the complaint is made against is it just closed and filed or is it passed to an independent body to oversee the merits of it?
Less than 1 in 200 is a for me a bit suspect, I know loads of people complain about all sorts of rubbish and I would expect most complaints are a joke and dismissed and rightly so.

I struggle to accept less than 1 in 200 is actually a valid complaint though, I may well be wrong in thinking the police family look after each other but unless it is looked in to we will always have that grey area in a service which we want to believe are whiter than white, and if mistakes are made by the boys in blue we need to have the faith that they are being dealt with 100% correct.

So far I see most forces handle their own complaints which isn't unusual as if a company has a complaint they keep it inhouse, I used to deal with complaints in my job and hand on heart I always followed the case with every integrity to come to the correct decision, Yes it is difficult if a colleague you know is out of order so much you have to go down the disciplinary route but I wouldn't question not doing it if it was valid in the situation.
No one said being the boss was easy :ohmy:

LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020

What has happened to the police force 5 days 23 hours ago #3616334

• knighten
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 256
  • Honor Medal 2010
55 police officers injured in N Ireland bricks, petrol bombs, masonry thrown at them.Just another shift in the life of an officer.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Robin

Last edit: by knighten.

What has happened to the police force 5 days 22 hours ago #3616342

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Who is refusing t o acknowledge good work done by any police force???

Yes, people should be able to talk about their bad experiences without such being dismissed and evidence of wrong doing should be exposed and those officers should be cast in a bad light.
They wont be weeded out otherwise.

What has happened to the police force 5 days 22 hours ago #3616343

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

knighten wrote: 55 police officers injured in N Ireland bricks, petrol bombs, masonry thrown at them.Just another shift in the life of an officer.

That doesnt negate the bad experiences of people subject to police harrassment or excuse incidents such as in OP.

Moderators: smilesrus10PascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds