Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Guns

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518358

• cahoots
  • cahoots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 504
  • Honor Medal 2010
Each day there is news about people being killed by guns.

Not people at war, but ordinary people just going about their business - and yes, often it is dodgy business but why do people in this day and age NEED guns?

I do not understand it.

I know some countries are committed to the 'right' to own or carry a gun and this 'right' is defended passionately but should it be a 'right'?

What are they necessary for? To protect from other people who have the 'right' to own and carry a gun?

That makes no sense to me.

With 'rights' come responsibilities but they seem less and less taken seriously.

If responsibility cannot be guaranteed with something as dangerous as guns shouldn't they be outlawed to ordinary people?
BE the change you want to see
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, TwistNShout, peejay26, Elspeth, WWWoody, arthur, RichardA, Bruce

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cahoots.

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518376

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1579
  • Honor Medal 2010
Guns are a way of life for some countries and some countries like the UK asked government to remove guns from our streets/houses ownership and they listened and did that for us. Unfortunately it took two horrible shootings by gun owners in Hungerford and those poor babies in Dunblane to make people think you know what guns are not good in our country, I know many who owned guns and after Dunblane willingly handed over their guns and completely agreed with the new laws on gun ownership.
Since then we rarely see guns although there is still some about with criminals usually drug dealers or armed robbers but as we know these kind of people will eventually get caught and hopefully the guns destroyed.
I don't think the law is strong enough in the UK for anyone caught with a gun in possession for me it should be 20 years minimum, maybe that would make a difference to people before they handle one.
I am happy guns are not available in the UK like they are in America for example as we have seen what is happening over there with gun crime. That could have been the UK if we didn't have the good sense to lobby government and demand guns are removed from everywhere in the UK.
If you are a UK resident and you want to see the rubbish which is being posted about how us brits apparently miss guns and want them for self protection have a look at this link, I don't know where it came from but the line
The need for police would be drastically diminished if the citizens of London could simply defend themselves. However, that is not an option unless they use sticks or knives (under three inches): a futile choice considering the fact that criminals have illegal guns and knives at their disposal. made me think who ever wrote it is so far out of touch it is pathetic, We have a city with a problem so lets let them have guns and then the problem should go away? You couldn't make it up if you were JK Rowling.
I don't want guns to ever be reintroduced to the UK am I the only one in the UK who thinks this?

link
We need guns apparentley
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cahoots, Elspeth

Last edit: by Bruce.

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518396

• altshovel
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 725
  • Honor Medal 2010
Lots of people own guns in the US for one reason or another. I used to have a (very) small collection myself, now I only have a 12ga shotgun. I would not mind having a revolver but it's not high on my list of things to acquire.
I'm not against gun control, a national system of gun control. I'm not against banning certain types of firearms.
Outlawing guns in the US is not possible. We have to live with that.
“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Robin

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518402

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2029
  • Honor Medal 2010

. What are they necessary for? To protect from other people who have the 'right' to own and carry a gun?

Yes i I think the having a gun to protect from other people who have guns is an ever increasing spiral in places like US.

Here in Australia some people have guns for farming or hunting purposes or sports shooting clubs. If you have the appropriate licence and meet the neccesary criteria.

But this open carry and have a gun when you go shopping or everyday life - glad that isn't our culture here.

And, as in other countries like UK, those automatic guns ( not the exact term but you all know what I mean) are outlawed.

New Zealand same now, after mass shooting there about a year ago
( incidentally shooter has been sentenced to life imprisonment, no parole)

I hope NZ never sees another such event - just like we in Australia have not, since the law changed after Port Arthur 2 decades ago.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cahoots, Elspeth, arthur, Bruce

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518403

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 867
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have been an firearm owner and a competitive shooter since 6-7 yo in the scouts with parents ok to do so, I never stopped , having been armed legally saved my family from death in the early 90's
during an attack by knives from street trash as I have mentioned several times, my closest friend is crippled for life also from an attack and lived also from it. I still have scars from it dad had an eye stabbed and lost it, being prepared legally saved our lives, my views shall never change, I doubt very few have had more background checks in life than I have had, most of my lifelong friends have come from shooting events male and female. I am very aware of what I did to live and be alive now. With the climate now legal ownership for me is a must, I shoot every week and did today in the rain.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Topsy, Jane R, oldal, paulbo, Spring, Robin, Karina

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518406

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2029
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think a culture of violence and weapon owning leads to more people having more of such to protect them from other people with more of the same.

Your experience and the similar experiences of your friends would seem to confirm that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cahoots, Bruce

Last edit: by Pascalou. Reason: Personal remark and cross threading removed

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518407

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1579
  • Honor Medal 2010

altshovel wrote: Lots of people own guns in the US for one reason or another. I used to have a (very) small collection myself, now I only have a 12ga shotgun. I would not mind having a revolver but it's not high on my list of things to acquire.
I'm not against gun control, a national system of gun control. I'm not against banning certain types of firearms.
Outlawing guns in the US is not possible. We have to live with that.

Yes you live with it every day, gun crime is ridiculous in the US to an outsider, it may seem normal to US citizens as you grow up with it I don't know.
It isn't impossible to outlaw guns in the US but it is pointless as there is so many illegal guns on the streets they could never be traced, I believe there is over a million illegal guns in the US, if guns were outlawed it would take a few hundred years to filter out all the illegal ones. How many people would be shot in that time? Thing is they keep selling them so the problem will keep happening I can't see an end to gun troubles in the US. I know there is responsible gun owners but many of them get their guns stolen by criminals.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cahoots, Robin

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518408

• altshovel
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 725
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: I have been an firearm owner and a competitive shooter since 6-7 yo in the scouts with parents ok to do so, I never stopped , having been armed legally saved my family from death in the early 90's
during an attack by knives from street trash as I have mentioned several times, my closest friend is crippled for life also from an attack and lived also from it. I still have scars from it dad had an eye stabbed and lost it, being prepared legally saved our lives, my views shall never change, I doubt very few have had more background checks in life than I have had, most of my lifelong friends have come from shooting events male and female. I am very aware of what I did to live and be alive now. With the climate now legal ownership for me is a must, I shoot every week and did today in the rain.

What climate? Who's going to shoot or knife you out in God's country? Where were you when you got attacked with a knife? Chicago?
I've been in the rough parts of town many times in my life and I was never threatened by a person with a knife or a gun. That might be partly luck. I've been threatened physically a few times, once with a pool cue, no knives or guns. I live in close proximity of 'bad neighborhoods' and I don't feel compelled to carry a weapon other than my Leatherman.
I'd love to go skeet shooting, it's expensive around here.
“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, cahoots

Last edit: by altshovel.

Guns 2 weeks 6 days ago #3518419

• Dennis 2
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 867
  • Honor Medal 2010
You asked:
I was taking dad to a Dr Appt and on way home we were attempted car jacked, very nice area of north Dallas, 2nd time attempted car jacked with ex BIL with me in Garland Texas no injuries to anyone that time thankfully, best friend in her old house endured a home break in and left for dead after almost beat to death and crippled for life. None were considered 'rough' parts of the areas, it can happen anywhere to anyone, you choice for for you, me my choice, I have zero ill feelings for anyone's views as long as they do not try to impose them on me and I sure do not try to change anyone's as that is their own choice as yours is. I do know if I had not been prepared dad and I would have been killed without question, friend also.
I did shoot skeet many years and changed to trap but always shot combat hand gun matches since old enough to do so and allowed to. Our club charges $3 for a round of skeet, trap, 5 stand or sporting clays.

I had rather have something and never need it than need it and not have it, just way I was raised and life's teachings here.
For instance today rain here and mud we shot as bad things can happen any time to anyone. We always have a goal to work on every time we go other than a match day, not just go and shoot targets. Today multiple targets while backing up.
Once a month we train with local LE inside our church building with training pistols, going on almost 10 years now. Room searches and clearing, low light conditions and the UNKNOWN anything nights, with 1 waiting for a situation to occur and it never did all planned prior.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Spring, Robin

Guns 2 weeks 5 days ago #3518439

• WWWoody
  • Away
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1363
  • Honor Medal 2010
I say yes, it should be a right. Good thread.
Murica!
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Spring, Robin

Moderators: smilesrus10PascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 28.686 seconds