Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them?

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489652

• blackie66
  • blackie66's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've pondered this alot.
For example people like Ted Bundy, the infamous serial killer, was not actually classified as psychotic by various psychiatrists. He had a high IQ, was extemely intelligent and achieved high academic GPAs. Was he truly evil? What he did certainly was.
I just wonder if people think that there is still some good in people like serial killers, or in anyone I guess that has committed a crime or evil acts. Religious people say to forgive these types of people, but I certainly couldn't. They say forgiveness brings closure, but I think if you forgive someone, you are saying to them: whatever horrific acts you commmitted are OK - you got away with it. I feel that forgiveness makes the person that forgives feel better that they have somehow become magnanimous, and 'Jesus like'. Forgiveness doesn't seem to work in my experience, but many people probably don't know what else to do.
It's interesting for me (in a morbid way), as I usually care for people who are the worst offenders you could think of. Some don't seem evil at all, and I wonder if they are psychotic or just putting on an act. It's a question I ponder all the time.
Any thoughts would be interesting to read.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by blackie66.

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489657

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1581
  • Honor Medal 2010
All depends on the circumstances of the crimes they commit, Ted Bundy No I could never forgive him he knew what he was doing knew it was wrong and evil but kept doing it Evil through and through and good riddance to bad rubbish to him.
Some people who commit evil crimes because of a mental problem as much as the crime is evil I can forgive if they really really do have grounds for diminished responsibility, This is hard to prove in some cases as a lot of evil people live a normal life go out kill then lead a normal life go out again and kill so they must know what they are doing and can't hide behind mental health as Peter Sutcliffe tried to do.
I suppose we need to look at each case individually to judge it's facts.
LIVERPOOL FC PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS AND WORLD CLUB CUP CHAMPIONS 2019-2020
The following user(s) said Well Said: blackie66

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489698

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1273
  • Honor Medal 2010
People must be evil,for some of the crimes committed,if someone hurt my family,no I could never ever forgive them.
No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Libby, Rips, blackie66

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489794

• Rips
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1901
  • Honor Medal 2010
Can someone be truly evil yes I believe It’s possible.
Why are some evil ...nature or nurture ...either .
No I don’t think I could forgive ,I definitely wouldn’t be able to forget a truly evil crime.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Libby, Wren, JUJO, blackie66

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489810

• CAJ
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 101
  • Honor Medal 2010
Well, Ted Bundy was at one time manning the Samaritans (Befrienders in US) helpline which he presumably did for altruistic reasons. How do you define evil? It's never black and white is it? People commit evil acts for all sorts of reasons but it doesn't make them an "evil" monster. Many killers have had horrendous upbringings and it's not beyond imagination to correlate their abuse and neglect and sexual exploitation with their future actions. As for forgiving them, it would take an immensely strong faith to forgive someone who killed a person you love, I think. There are also many kinds of murder IMO. To lash out and kill out of rage in a moment's loss of control seems to me to be different from someone who mugs and kills a pensioner for the few quid in their pocket.
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Eira, hcf3sf, Bruce, blackie66

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489814

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3396
  • Honor Medal 2010

Wren wrote: Yes I do and No I couldn’t

^5^5
<< Is generally receptive to forgiving. Paused, possibly Perpetually.
Since those most trusted and recognised as Humain are exposed as "Evil beyond Redemption". To quote. Dr Harold Shipman and Midwife Beverly Allitt.
"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."
The following user(s) said Well Said: Wren

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489845

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 531
  • Honor Medal 2010
Yes, I believe a small minority are truly evil and probably born that way, such as Ian Brady, the driving force behind the Moors murders.

On the other hand, Myra Hindley, his accomplice, I believe was totally beguiled by him and whilst was wicked in what she did she was not in the same league as Brady.

No, I could not forgive people like those.
A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
The following user(s) said Well Said: TwistNShout, Wren, blackie66

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489860

• QuinTSensual
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3396
  • Honor Medal 2010
While supportive of "Equal Human Rights" ethos and purpose. It's too simplistic and all-embracing.
Those with profound Evil purpose, Hereditary or Adopted [Infused] Are simply Inhuman. Denying innocent victims their "Right to Life".
As any such threat to an Equitable Society. Removed without Rights. Sooner than Later. And seen to be done.
"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489876

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1963
  • Honor Medal 2010

QuinTSensual wrote: Those with profound Evil purpose, Hereditary or Adopted [Infused] Are simply Inhuman. Denying innocent victims their "Right to Life".

Ironically such traits are entirely human

It is the very nature of the human condition that people are simply vessels like bottles into which literally anything can be poured.

If a human is taken from a young age it can be programmed to believe anything and to adopt any set of values whether they be, to the rest of us, good or bad/evil. Humans are essentially biological robots programmed from birth. Your teachers and your early experiences shape most of what you initially are and the way you behave. Humans copy others instinctively so much of who we are is reflected by those who were around us.

In the Middle East kids can be brought up as freedom fighters and terrorists as naturally as a child in the West is brought up a good law abiding citizen. Such is the human condition. It is our biggest weakness and vulnerability.

Concepts of good and evil are simply human constructions. The universe has no such concepts. The universe doesn't care.

It doesn't care who lives or dies. It doesn't care which species prevail and which fall by the wayside. It doesn't care if any human or animal is murdered. The universe simply is. We are a part of it.

Our notions of goodness and morality are simply egotistical arrogance that have nothing at all to do with the universe we exist in and which we are a part of. We invent them and perpetuate them as a way to try and co-exist but in reality all that really means is a contingent of the human population is duped into being passive and subdued and is ultimate then controlled totally and put on the treadmill of an enslaved existence. Meanwhile those who understand the nature of the universe and the way it operates don't allow themselves to be constrained by any such limits and false chains and just do what they want, getting what they want through force of arms and strength. Most people are simply slaves trying to make the best of a neutered existence and need happy fluffy concepts to help them bear that situation.

In the end life just keeps on going around and around in circles. The notion of "right to life" is a nonsense since life is perpetual and no-one can take it from you. All anyone can do is remove your current form. So if you want to be more accurate you'd have to say "right to form". But since the universe has been here billions and billions of years and so has every one of us then really what value can one place on this current form? We have already been millions of other forms but have no memory of them in this current form. Who is to say which is the best form?

The universe is a constant seething mass of change and we are a part of that. Nothing remains in singular form. Except the "prima materia", the universal building blocks from which everything is made.

Only dead fish swim with the flow

Last edit: by Realist.

Do you believe that people are truly evil? And can you truly forgive them? 2 months 3 weeks ago #3489879

• Rose57
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I too have pondered this from both sides of the fence. My journey as a victim of childhood abuse Festered until it was like a cancer Eating away at my soul, sliding out of control I saw myself crash landing into the life of a perpetrator. It was like an infection of vile bitterness rage, anger, resentment that festered, slowly eating away at my soul. It held me prisoner for a long time. I thought forgiving meant condoning the vile behaviors of the perpetrators. They were evil, they didn’t deserve forgiveness, even the idea of forgiving seemed to feed my rage, like a venomous cancer.
My wake up call came with when I began to Viciously lashing out at people, for trivial infractions. I couldn’t stop myself it was like the festering cancer had consumed me and was now bubbling out trying to infects others with its vile poison It terrified me. I was slipping fast down a slippery slope of rage, bitterness, despair, drowning into a blackness that was stealing my soul. I began grasping at anything to keep me from sliding further into that blackness. I began to question the possibility of using forgiveness to purge this evil now growing inside me, but the cancer was too powerful. The fact that my desire to find a way was the tiny light I followed it gave me hope. That and the fact I refused to let myself become a soulless vampire Like those that infected me.
It was a slow climb back up, reminding Myself healing takes time by telling myself whenever I Felt the bile of bitterness I gave it a dose of. FORGIVENESS IS NOT FOR THE SOUL OF THE OFFENDER IT’S TO SAVE MY OWN FROM BECOMING LIKE THEM. I found redemption knowing, I was able to forgive with out condoning such evil. I’ve even come to a point I pity them, then forgive myself for allowing their pain to hurt me.

Moderators: smilesrus10PascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds