Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428320

• oldman
  • oldman's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 15
Planet Earth is home to millions of beautiful animal and plant species, thousands of iced peaks and gorgeous islands .But because of climate change and human carelessness, some of them are in danger of disappearing in the next 100 years or even sooner. Here is the list of top 8 places to visit before it’s too late.[secure link] https://youtu.be/oCS7xh3SVuk

Venice, Italy
It may be known as 'The Floating City', but experts have warned that Venice could sink in as little as 100 years thanks to climate change. They say that Venice and much of Italy's Adriatic coastline is at risk of disappearing all together as sea levels continue to rise. The Mediterranean will rise by up to five feet before 2100, according to scientists from Italy and France.

Machu Picchu, Peru
Machu Picchu is located high in the Andes Mountains and has become a must visit for the travelers around the world. This place is a beautiful 15th century Inca ruins which have an earthy feel to it. Unfortunately, these ruins are being damaged by the hordes of visitors that tromp around in boots and climb and jump on the sites structure. This place has been declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is a place worth visiting but make sure not to ruin the ruins!

The Great Wall of China
The largest man-made structure in the world, the Great Wall of China has survived for over 2,000 years, but recent over-farming has led to nearly two-thirds of the wall being damaged or destroyed. The wall could be reduced to ruins by erosion in as little as 20 years.

The Maldives
In 2004, a tsunami swallowed two-thirds of the Maldives. As a result, over 20 islands were permanently erased from the map. The Earth is currently undergoing a climate change of historic proportion, with sea levels rising noticeably from the melting of glaciers and icebergs. If the trend continues, the Maldives will be completely submerged in 30 years.
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, Poppet, Steffiegirl, shaaronv, Stuck, Bessie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by oldman.

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428390

• Bessie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1533
  • Honor Medal 2010
i feel sad for our planet! :(

Life's Too Short To Be Serious!!

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428580

• jennilin
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 274
  • Honor Medal 2010

Bessie wrote: i feel sad for our planet! :(

Me too but maybe it's the scheme of things .. during the timescale of our planet things have always changed and evolved , are we saying it shouldn't happen for us ? Are we that special ? The amazing places and the life as we know it is changing.. I guess we all have to accept :(
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bessie

Last edit: by jennilin.

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428667

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1848
  • Honor Medal 2010

jennilin wrote:

Bessie wrote: i feel sad for our planet! :(

Me too but maybe it's the scheme of things .. during the timescale of our planet things have always changed and evolved , are we saying it shouldn't happen for us ? Are we that special ? The amazing places and the life as we know it is changing.. I guess we all have to accept :(

Yes, - but this climate change and habitat destruction is on humans not the cycles of glaciation and interstadial periods.
Please inform yourself, read up, use your natural curiosity so you understand the difference between naturally occurring climate change and human caused climate change. Not to mention pollution and habitat destruction that happens during resource extraction.
The following user(s) said Well Said: hcf3sf

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428696

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1505
  • Honor Medal 2010
The planet has been here for billions of years and there have been countess species of animals and plant life in that time. Many 1000s (probably millions) of species we have never known but which have all since disappeared long before humans came along.

That is the nature of Nature. A constant recycling of species, of matter and life forms. We are just a part of that cycle and our misguided belief that we somehow own and control this planet is nothing more than arrogant fantasy. We are simply passers-by in an infinitely long planetary lifespan. Yes we kill off species and yes we do temporary damage to the planet but the planet keeps on spinning regardless and in time our species will also disappear.

Loss of species is not that important imo. There will always be ever new species being created by Nature. Who can prioritise one over another? What right do humans have to say a yellow flower is more worthy than a blue flower? Or that one species of beetle is more valuable than another?

We are a unique species on this planet and have now some terrible machinery and weaponry. What we must avoid is the annihilation of all life on the planet by nuclear devices and the like.

The planet survives ice ages and ice cap meltings and magnetic reversals and similar things.

We may be wiped out in the process, but the planet will go on spinning without us happy as can be.
The following user(s) said Well Said: himerus

Only dead fish swim with the flow

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428698

• Realist
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1505
  • Honor Medal 2010
Aside from the above I agree with OP

I've been to Venice many times, it is a beautiful place but now increasingly fragile and vulnerable to both flooding and lack of water. Arriving by cruise ship is the very best way to go but in the current climate wholly untenable.

Only dead fish swim with the flow

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428714

• Corvette
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 745
  • Honor Medal 2010
I wonder if someone said that a hundred years ago? I do believe a 100 years from now people will not
be into those things so it will not make any difference how the world changes. If you look into history a
100 years ago people were doing different things.

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428740

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Corvette wrote: I wonder if someone said that a hundred years ago? I do believe a 100 years from now people will not
be into those things so it will not make any difference how the world changes. If you look into history a
100 years ago people were doing different things.

Henry David Thoreau, Walt Whitman, Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir among others. People cared about nature even back then. You can go back in history and find conservationists, people who loved the natural world and spent time to save it.

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 4 days ago #3428743

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote: The planet has been here for billions of years and there have been countess species of animals and plant life in that time. Many 1000s (probably millions) of species we have never known but which have all since disappeared long before humans came along.

That is the nature of Nature. A constant recycling of species, of matter and life forms. We are just a part of that cycle and our misguided belief that we somehow own and control this planet is nothing more than arrogant fantasy. We are simply passers-by in an infinitely long planetary lifespan. Yes we kill off species and yes we do temporary damage to the planet but the planet keeps on spinning regardless and in time our species will also disappear.

Loss of species is not that important imo. There will always be ever new species being created by Nature. Who can prioritise one over another? What right do humans have to say a yellow flower is more worthy than a blue flower? Or that one species of beetle is more valuable than another?

We are a unique species on this planet and have now some terrible machinery and weaponry. What we must avoid is the annihilation of all life on the planet by nuclear devices and the like.

The planet survives ice ages and ice cap meltings and magnetic reversals and similar things.

We may be wiped out in the process, but the planet will go on spinning without us happy as can be.

When we lose species because of our acts that's a shame on us whether those species/habitats are 'beneficial to ' not. When we over fish we do damage to us and the ocean, streams and lakes. We set off a chain of events that degrade that habitat. We lose the predators, we lose the balance of nature. The plant life changes. It might change on its own but we should not be the instigators.
Like I said on my earlier post natural climate change is not an excuse for us to damage the earth as it is or create a human caused climate change. That's awful reasoning. When people die in a natural catastrophe that does not mean it's fine for us to kill people because 'they die anyway.'
The earth will survive us for sure. Scientists have discovered that after an extinction event, like what's happening now, it takes roughly 10 million years to recover diversity in living things. We are responsible for a great extinction right now and it looks like through our own ignorance it's past the tipping point.
Maybe in a couple of years an asteroid will hit the earth but that does not mean a nuclear war is excusable.
We are causing our own problems. If we don't have a clean environment we won't have clean air and water. It's that simple.

Amazing Places That May Disappear Soon 1 week 3 days ago #3428745

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Realist wrote: Aside from the above I agree with OP

I've been to Venice many times, it is a beautiful place but now increasingly fragile and vulnerable to both flooding and lack of water. Arriving by cruise ship is the very best way to go but in the current climate wholly untenable.

I was in Venice in 69, right after flooding the year before. At the time the 'cattle boats' were not spoiling the scenery.

In my opinion cruise boats have no business in the Venice lagoon. They should limit the size of ships parking in front of the grand canal. Like less that 10' of freeboard and two levels of cabin (not including the bridge) above the sheer line.

What's really sinking Venice rapidly is human caused climate change. Venice might be sinking but we are speeding the process up.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds