Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 2 days 12 hours ago #3357317

• Jane R
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5419
  • Honor Medal 2010
What's to become of these countries if all the men leave?
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Rhett1, Serena77

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 2 days 11 hours ago #3357379

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8782
  • Honor Medal 2010
It’s only a minority of refugees who travel through Europe to get to UK.
This last year, the Applications for Asylum received by UK was only 7% of the whole total in Europe and there are a number of other nations that receive more Asylum Applications than UK does. I think we are about 6th on the list.
When you analyse our place on the Refugee settlement list in terms of numbers per head of population, we are about 17th on the list.

Why do some Refugees and/or economic migrants choose to come to UK?
Research suggests that welfare benefits are not the major factor for their choice.
Common sense would suggest that those who come from former English colonies are more likely to choose UK and those from former French colonies more likely to head for France.

“Researchers say that, where people can choose, factors such as colonial and historical links, the presence of family members, general reputation as a safe country and language are relevant factors.

There’s mixed evidence on whether people choose between countries based on their knowledge of its asylum system, according to Professor Heaven Crawley, a former head of Home Office asylum research. Some studies suggest that asylum seekers are drawn to countries with a more generous asylum regime, whereas others point to little or no knowledge about how the system works.

But economic opportunities, particularly being able to get a job, do play a role. As this suggests, there’s not necessarily an easy dividing line between ‘genuine refugees’ fleeing conflict on the one hand, and ‘economic migrants’ seeking new opportunities on the other. A person can easily be both.

It seems unlikely that the benefits system is relevant. Professor Crawley writes that “there is no statistically significant relationship between the level of social and welfare benefits and asylum applications”. “

Here’s one link but most of the research I’ve read on the topic quotes researchers saying much the same thing.

fullfact.org/immigration/why-do-migrants...eekers-want-come-uk/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Vegemite Kid

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 2 days 8 hours ago #3357446

• Rhett1
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1696
  • Honor Medal 2010
Too many now,not fair on the rest of us,

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 2 days 5 hours ago #3357587

• Vegemite Kid
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10125
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jane R wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: Yes it could be - but even so, their reasons are still to start a new life in a new country.

Poster seemed to be suggesting their reason was something else.

Why entirely ignore the part of Byroney's post which we are all aware of - that most of these so called refugees cross many countries where, if they were genuinely fleeing persecution could find refuge, but instead head for Calais with the hope of sneaking illegally into the UK. My own opinion is that our welfare system is quite a lure and very appealing.

I quoted the part I was asking a question about.

I will wait for her to answer for herself.

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 2 days 3 hours ago #3357666

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1641
  • Honor Medal 2010
Vegemite kid said: ‘ What other reasons??’

I was actually reaffirming the remark made at the end of Pottyanne’s post when she said that it was odd that migrants passed through so many safe countries just to reach the UK and there must be a reason for that, or words to that effect.

Nobody has yet told me why these ‘genuine’ people need to enter the country illegally. Could it be that they know full well that they have no genuine claim for asylum and would be returned to their country of origin?

Surely a genuine asylum seeker, truly in fear of their life, would understand that the UK is far more likely to give them a sympathetic hearing together with the help they seek if they enter the country legally and not try to sneak in hanging from the underneath of a lorry or on a small inflatable.

Jane R wrote: ‘What's to become of these countries if all the men leave?’

We are already seeing the result of this within the EU where doctors and dentists are coming to the UK where they can earn more which has created a shortage of both in countries such as Poland.

It is odd that most of the Calais refugees appear to be young men. I believe that the idea is that they should work here and send money back to their families. The problem is that many have no idea of the high cost of living here and find that there is little to send back after basic living expenses have been paid as, by entering illegally, they can do only low-paid jobs where no questions about National Insurance numbers or Income Tax bands are asked. This leaves them open to exploitation by unscrupulous employers and has created a very unpleasant under class with these people, who came for a ‘better life’ living in terrible conditions, crammed into cellars, garages.....often without daylight and heat and with only basic sanitation.

This is not the Government’s fault but the fault of the people smugglers who promise Utopia and deliver Purgatory or death and the gullibility of those who see them as an easy way of getting into a country. Sadly, attempting to enter the UK illegally will in most cases lead only to deportation, and detention while you are ‘processed’ - a ghastly term but an accurate one.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Serena77

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 1 day 23 hours ago #3357695

• Vegemite Kid
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10125
  • Honor Medal 2010
That is the way with all refugee or migrant situations - young men make up the largest proportion.

Nothing new or odd about that.

Yes I agree people are exploited and of course people smugglers unscrupulously do that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pottyanne

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 1 day 20 hours ago #3357738

• Pottyanne
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 84
When I first moved here I worked supporting some Burmese refugees (they prefer that to Myanmar). Amongst the community we had teachers, engineers, doctors and nurses, all occupations in big demand here. The main problem was that they did not speak English of a sufficient standard to work in those roles here. Most ended up in minimum wage jobs, washing up in restaurants, driving taxis or general labouring work. Some even had doctorates or equivalent in their home countries.
When I moved here after a long career in mental health I could not work in my field until I went back to university for 6 to 12 months to learn about the culture here, even though English is my mother tongue. I worked at a non qualified level and found that I preferred that. More about dealing with people than paper pushing/politics.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual

Harrowing images of migrant toddlers pulled from sinking dhingy 1 day 20 hours ago #3357742

• Aida
  • Aida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8147
  • Honor Medal 2010
As the devastation caused by the escalating climate change progresses more and more people, particularly of the island nations in vulnerable parts of the world, will be on the move.

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds