Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Harry and Meghan

Harry and Meghan 2 months 6 hours ago #3391474

• Miesque
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1005

grahamg wrote:

Vienna wrote:
Does anybody love the media..?

Do even those who say they hate the media stop watching it?

It appears not from what you read on this site.

So many as speculative as the media itself !
The following user(s) said Well Said: grahamg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Love minus zero = no limit! Dylan

Harry and Meghan 2 months 1 hour ago #3391636

• QuinTSensual
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4848
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: The Prince and the showgirl : what revelations will come with the next episode ?

Buttons' thinks its more the 'Sinderella' Panto.
Big, Bad, Busted, Baron, wants the Slippers he bought for Sinders back. With Interest. For the 'considerable' parental favour.
Nabs ONE as she Trips orf to the Palace.
Along comes chivilous Prince 'Calming'. Ever conscious that poolside bare Toe Tickling, Attracts attention.
He nips into Harrods, well known for its measuring up. And buys Sinders a glittering new pair. That came with a Good customer voucher. Three flight tickets to >> Canada.
And they lived Happily Ever After. Amen
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida

"Out of the Eyes and Words of Children. We 'May', be best Known."

Harry and Meghan 2 months 24 minutes ago #3391668

• Vienna
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5181
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote:

Aida wrote:

JUJO wrote:

Vienna wrote: JUJO Wrote: I think he is at his wits end,not knowing what else to do.

I think the problem is of his own making, and I doubt that Harry and Meghan are to blame in any way.

Heartbreaking, to think it has come to this, if they had all come together much earlier and discussed everything,things would never have been this bad,This is their own personal business,that should be discussed between them all,not for the whole world to know everything.

On his own admission Meghan has helped her father out financially on occasions. Maybe after her marriage this was frowned upon because of Royal protocol, even though she is wealthy in her own right. Maybe she finds him embarrassing. Who knows? He accused H and M of cheapening the institute of the Royal Family. I seem to recall a comparison with Walmart. So what is he doing by washing dirty linen in public just because he has been rebuffed. Maybe he is at his wits end and this is attention seeking behaviour.

Meghan used to be married to Trevor Engleson, film director / producer. Fortunately he has been extremely discreet . I believe his present wife is an heiress and they are happily married. Maybe happiness or lack of it is the key to this sad family breakdown.

You know I have a different take on all this, and I would like to see more widespread support for Thomas Markle's position, (maybe this wont happen until after he's dead, and Meghan and Harry have split and there is acrimony between the two of them - something to look forward to there!!!!! ).

However, looking solely at Harry's part in the debacle between Meghan and her dad, he has only heard one side of the story hasn't he, or chosen to hear only one side(?). There are many men ready to jump to conclusions when hearing the story put out by a beautiful woman, and Harry looks like another one, and I doubt he's really interested so much in the truth, as in supporting his then girlfriend and now wife, and mother to his child (he choose not to go to see Meghan's dad before announcing the engagement didn't he, whilst Prince Charles in his day, actually asked permission for Earl Spencer to marry Diana didn't he).

I maybe foolishly think we all play a part in the way generally decent dads, or at least those who at one time did all they felt they could and certainly loved their children, are treated, because societal attitudes do have a bearing here. Meghan Markle obviously considers her public image a great deal, and "if I had my way", she would not only receive direct criticism for her part in the breakdown of relations with her father, but be asked to questions as to why she chooses to be heartless. I know the young woman has a lot on her plate, and probably is feeling wounded right now, but if heredity means anything, then any character flaws in the father may well yet be shown in his child, and there will be a worldwide audience, should she continue her forthcoming court battle with the newspapers.

I believe there was more widespread support for Thomas Markle before the latest interview was shown on TV recently.
Going by comments posted on social media it was clear that many of his supporters had turned against him because of personal accusations made against his daughter, and Harry in front of millions of people.

Are you really looking forward to seeing a possible break-up of Harry and Meghan's marriage?
I'm not, and I doubt most people would want to see it either.
They are a couple barely married two years, with a young child - I wouldn't want that to happen to any couple, and the fact that they're royal, should make no difference.

By the way, I remember Thomas Markle saying that Harry did in fact ask his permission to marry Meghan.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou

Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late..

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391697

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9781
  • Honor Medal 2010
The suggestion that Harry isn’t competent to judge Thomas Markle and his relationship with his daughter because he has only heard Meghan’s side of the story directly from her and the bits Thomas has chosen to publicly reveal makes me wonder why any of us, the general public, would feel competent to judge any of them, based on hearing those same bits of information that Thomas has publicly revealed without hearing any of Meghan’s side of the story from her at all - nor any of Harry’s side of the story either.
We know even less than Harry does, yet there are some folk ready to jump to conclusions when hearing one side of the story that they can identify with, despite having never heard all sides of the story directly from the involved parties.

If I had my way, the public would never hear another thing about it and they would be left to sort our their own private relationships, like any other family, without the media adding to the hype and stress of it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: pascalou, Vegemite Kid, Meeooow

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391712

• bryoney
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1769
  • Honor Medal 2010
Eira wrote: If I had my way, the public would never hear another thing about it and they would be left to sort our their own private relationships, like any other family, without the media adding to the hype and stress of it.

Well, yes, if they were ‘any other family’ that would be the desirable outcome. This particular family is, however, not just another not-so-very-young family sorting out a way forward. This family’s life involves public money which could, perhaps, be better spent. If they want to be out of the public eye and left to their own devices then they do not need a vast income and security officers. Both of those things put them very much in a class above and may suggest to some that their lives are of more value than those of the truly ‘ordinary’. While they continue to live in their ivory tower the media will continue to take an interest.

It is quite possible to be a member of the Royal Family and live a very private life. The Princess Royal and the Wessex family do it admirably. The Gloucesters and Kents who are the Queen’s cousins, though now of advancing years, have also managed to keep their private lives away from the media spotlight.

Maybe if the Sussex family just kept away from social media and went about their lives without ‘sharing’ or ‘releasing’ photos and tweets the media would go away and they could have the privacy they say they crave - but I think this is about control as much as anything else and Harry and Meghan may well find that away from the Palace and the agreements between Palace staff and Media things may get even more intrusive and they may well find that they have done themselves a disservice.

It is, when all is said and done, very unappealing to see such apparently privileged people’s hand-wringing and self-pity when there are so many millions in the world who have nothing and whose lives depend on access to sufficient food and clean water rather than armed security guards.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Aida, grahamg, Dree

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391722

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8726
  • Honor Medal 2010
Would it be necessary or even courteous for a suitor to ask a prospective bride’s father for permission to marry his daughter, given the fact that she had been married previously and divorced ?

It’s easy to stay with the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone.
Last edit: by Aida.

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391737

• Eira
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9781
  • Honor Medal 2010

bryoney wrote: Eira wrote: If I had my way, the public would never hear another thing about it and they would be left to sort our their own private relationships, like any other family, without the media adding to the hype and stress of it.

Well, yes, if they were ‘any other family’ that would be the desirable outcome. This particular family is, however, not just another not-so-very-young family sorting out a way forward. This family’s life involves public money which could, perhaps, be better spent. If they want to be out of the public eye and left to their own devices then they do not need a vast income and security officers. Both of those things put them very much in a class above and may suggest to some that their lives are of more value than those of the truly ‘ordinary’. While they continue to live in their ivory tower the media will continue to take an interest.

It is quite possible to be a member of the Royal Family and live a very private life. The Princess Royal and the Wessex family do it admirably. The Gloucesters and Kents who are the Queen’s cousins, though now of advancing years, have also managed to keep their private lives away from the media spotlight.

Maybe if the Sussex family just kept away from social media and went about their lives without ‘sharing’ or ‘releasing’ photos and tweets the media would go away and they could have the privacy they say they crave - but I think this is about control as much as anything else and Harry and Meghan may well find that away from the Palace and the agreements between Palace staff and Media things may get even more intrusive and they may well find that they have done themselves a disservice.

It is, when all is said and done, very unappealing to see such apparently privileged people’s hand-wringing and self-pity when there are so many millions in the world who have nothing and whose lives depend on access to sufficient food and clean water rather than armed security guards.

My whole post was about the relationship between Thomas and Meghan, it was not about the couple’s public interactions with the media. The media and the public will naturally comment on what Harry and Meghan are doing regarding their switch from a Royal role to a different life. I expect the media will comment on whatever the couple put into the public domain.
In my view, what they do in their public life and what they choose to say and publish is fair game for comment but I see that as a separate thing from Meghan’s personal relationship with her own family. Meghan never sought to put her Father in the spotlight and the blame for him being placed there lies solely at the feet of the photographers and reporters who initially hounded him in the way they did, in my opinion.
As I’ve said before, I think Harry should have anticipated it and tried to protect him from the press intrusion but he didn’t publish those photos himself - the press did that.
If the media had not tracked Thomas Markle down and portrayed him so badly in the first place, the media could have been given a brief resume of who he was, what his previous occupation was etc, then seen him next when he was suited and booted at the wedding, walking his daughter down the aisle. Then he could have gone back home and kept up some private contact with his daughter.

It is just not acceptable to me that a private citizen like Mr Markle should be stalked by the press and have his life ruined for no other reason than being related to someone who has moved into the public eye.
He has obviously decided to use the media himself now to make his voice heard but, in my opinion, the press are still using him shamelessly to keep this story of the family feud going.
I think it’s time folk stood up to the media and made it clear there should be some personal and private things that should be “off limits” even in the lives of “celebrities”
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, MondayOptimist

Step by step, one goes a long way.

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391852

• wendeey
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2726
  • Honor Medal 2010
Obtained from: www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-79436...anadian-network.html

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle promote a mental health initiative run by a Canadian mobile phone network on Instagram - the first new campaign they've supported since Megxit

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3391944

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 9630
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Would it be necessary or even courteous for a suitor to ask a prospective bride’s father for permission to marry his daughter, given the fact that she had been married previously and divorced ?

Well i dont think it is neccesary or courteous to ask a father' permission when the bride is an adult making her own decision.

Inform the parents first before anyone else, yes - but ask permission - no.

Harry and Meghan 1 month 4 weeks ago #3392024

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1938
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vienna wrote:

grahamg wrote:

Aida wrote:

JUJO wrote:

Vienna wrote:
JUJO Wrote: I think he (Thomas Markle) is at his wits end,not knowing what else to do.

Vienna wrote:
I think the problem is of his own making, and I doubt that Harry and Meghan are to blame in any way.

Heartbreaking, to think it has come to this, if they had all come together much earlier and discussed everything,things would never have been this bad,This is their own personal business,that should be discussed between them all,not for the whole world to know everything.

"On his own admission Meghan has helped her father out financially on occasions."

Break
"Maybe she finds him embarrassing. Who knows? He accused H and M of cheapening the institute of the Royal Family."

Break
"So what is he doing by washing dirty linen in public just because he has been rebuffed. Maybe he is at his wits end and this is attention seeking behaviour."
Break

Grahamg wrote:
You know I have a different take on all this, and I would like to see more widespread support for Thomas Markle's position, (maybe this wont happen until after he's dead, and Meghan and Harry have split and there is acrimony between the two of them - something to look forward to there!!!!! ).

However, looking solely at Harry's part in the debacle between Meghan and her dad, he has only heard one side of the story hasn't he, or chosen to hear only one side(?). There are many men ready to jump to conclusions when hearing the story put out by a beautiful woman, and Harry looks like another one, and I doubt he's really interested so much in the truth, as in supporting his then girlfriend and now wife, and mother to his child (he choose not to go to see Meghan's dad before announcing the engagement didn't he, whilst Prince Charles in his day, actually asked permission for Earl Spencer to marry Diana didn't he).

I maybe foolishly think we all play a part in the way generally decent dads, or at least those who at one time did all they felt they could and certainly loved their children, are treated, because societal attitudes do have a bearing here. Meghan Markle obviously considers her public image a great deal, and "if I had my way", she would not only receive direct criticism for her part in the breakdown of relations with her father, but be asked to questions as to why she chooses to be heartless. I know the young woman has a lot on her plate, and probably is feeling wounded right now, but if heredity means anything, then any character flaws in the father may well yet be shown in his child, and there will be a worldwide audience, should she continue her forthcoming court battle with the newspapers.

Vienna wrote:
I believe there was more widespread support for Thomas Markle before the latest interview was shown on TV recently.
Going by comments posted on social media it was clear that many of his supporters had turned against him because of personal accusations made against his daughter, and Harry in front of millions of people.

Are you really looking forward to seeing a possible break-up of Harry and Meghan's marriage?
I'm not, and I doubt most people would want to see it either.
They are a couple barely married two years, with a young child - I wouldn't want that to happen to any couple, and the fact that they're royal, should make no difference.

By the way, I remember Thomas Markle saying that Harry did in fact ask his permission to marry Meghan.

Have you not heard of parties celebrating the break up of people's marriages, ("I'm just bringing things forward a little" ).

Who would you blame if Meghan and Harry were to split one day, Thomas Markle? I would suggest Thomas Markle assertion and exhorting his daughter should live up to the royal role she married into, might assist her in committing herself to a marriage. .

Harry doesn't look that great in my view because of a number of his recent actions and pronouncement, and "if" he did ask Thomas Markles permission to marry Meghan why did he not do so in person, and treat the man with at least some respect?

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds