Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Suggestions to save the planet.

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322422

• lensman
  • lensman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1511
  • Honor Medal 2010
Not wishing to be accused of hijacking another thread.
Here are some suggestions for climate change aversion.
Limit personal flights
Eliminate petrol and diesel cars.
Reduce meat production
Limit family size.
Improve household insulation.
I wonder which government would be the first to implement the more restrictive measures?
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Annette, Annnie, altshovel, jetsmum, pascalou, Keeper, Elspeth, Jane R, WWWoody and 3 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322424

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2293
  • Honor Medal 2010
Agreed, there will need to be a limit on family size.

I would like to see every Country in this world grow more trees. They are the lungs of the world. If everyone, who possibly could grew just one tree in their garden (if they have a garden), that would help.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Annnie, altshovel, Jane R, WWWoody, Bruce

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322433

• Bruce
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1375
  • Honor Medal 2010
Ban smoking all that smoke from cigarettes can't be good for the ozone, I mean look at the inside of a pub ceiling about 1985 they were thick yellow and sticky, now it is all blown straight in to the air.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322435

• Annnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2801
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'd like to see a public offenders' list for big companies who use a lot of materials unnecessarily....like Amazon with their oversized cardboard boxes.....and ....
my vacuum cleaner company, who instead of selling us fresh filters so we can take out the used ones and insert the new, now make rigid plastic filter cartridges costing arund £30 . When the filter is used up you have to discard the whole cartridge and buy another. These used filters are presumably now full of the nasty allergens and viruses etc, which they promised to trap for you so the only thing likely to be recycled will be our money. :(
I do agree we should limit air journeys as they are known to be a very big culprit.. . . as cows are.

We could have an appointed minister responsible for our "saving the planet" in government.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Keeper, Janquine

Last edit: by Annnie.

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322470

• Keeper
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2293
  • Honor Medal 2010
Ethiopia plants more than 350 million trees in a day. ... Ethiopians have planted more than 350 million trees in a single day as part of a campaign to fight deforestation and climate change. Getahun Mekuria, Ethiopia's minister of innovation and technology, said 353,633,660 seedlings were planted in 12 hours on Monday.30 Jul 2019

www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/ethiopia-...190730070304536.html

Earlier in July, Swiss scientists published a study in the journal Science saying that the most effective way to fight global warming was to plant one trillion trees.

The report said that over the decades, those new trees could suck up nearly 750 billion tonnes of heat-trapping carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

That is about as much carbon pollution as humans have spewed in the last 25 years.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera and news agencies
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Annnie, altshovel, Dan Dare, Jennet, DaveA, Aida, Bruce

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 3 days ago #3322482

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1988
  • Honor Medal 2010
Just seeing the posts on this thread makes me feel better.
Yeah, I was reading about planting trees. Saving old growth forest is good too.
I love cars, pickups and motorcycles but I'm using public transportation more often. I take the San Diego 'Trolly' (light rail). Went to two baseball games, three rallies, Little Italy Farmer's Market, and downtown San Diego and back (car parking is terrible DT).
I see my two grandchildren and I'm hoping it works out.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, Keeper

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 2 days ago #3322589

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8147
  • Honor Medal 2010
Stop using cosmetics and foodstuffs containing palm oil.
The demand for palm oil is leading to mass deforestation in order to supply this cheap oil as an ingredient for everyday products .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, lensman, Dan Dare, Jennet, Elspeth, Meeooow, Bruce

In my beginning is my end. In my end is my beginning.
Last edit: by Aida.

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 2 days ago #3322600

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2143
  • Honor Medal 2010
These are mostly all good ideas but until the industrialised giants like China & the US really commit to reducing the amounts of pollutants released by their factories there will be no significant improvement at the levels needed to make a real difference.

The world needs to act as one to seriously change the effects of climate change, and I'm afraid I can't see that happening anytime soon.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Dan Dare, Krystalle, Mykle, hcf3sf, Bruce

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 2 days ago #3322632

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4290
  • Honor Medal 2010

lensman wrote: Not wishing to be accused of hijacking another thread.
Limit personal flights
Reduce meat production
Limit family size.
I wonder which government would be the first to implement the more restrictive measures?

I guess we dont do badly on your list, Lensman...
We dont fly, we dont own a car, we dont have children, we live in an insultated house, we use LED-lightbulbs, we re-use old bedsheets and other materials, we only wear clothes made out of natural materials, most sewed by hand, and , of course, when we go shopping we bring our own shopping bag, we dont use makeup, we dont shower every day but wash our bodies with a cloth, we dont use one-way products like cups or knifes and forks, and we wera a sweater instead of turning up the heating, we dont use a microwave, and use the restheat when cooking (I had to get used on cooking on an electric device).
Just a few examples...

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !
Last edit: by Annette.

Suggestions to save the planet. 2 months 2 days ago #3322638

• ThedukeofEarl
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 337
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annette wrote:

lensman wrote: Not wishing to be accused of hijacking another thread.
Limit personal flights
Reduce meat production
Limit family size.

I guess we dont do badly on your list, Lensman...
We dont fly, we dont own a car, we dont have children, we live in an insultated house, we use LED-lightbulbs, we re-use old bedsheets and other materials, we only wear clothes made out of natural materials, most sewed by hand, and , of course, when we go shopping we bring our own shopping bag, we dont use makeup, we dont shower every day but wash our bodies with a cloth, we dont use one-way products like cups or knifes and forks, and we wera a sweater instead of turning up the heating, we dont use a microwave, and use the restheat when cooking (I had to get used on cooking on an electric device).
Just a few examples...

Do they let you have a computer in prison
The following user(s) said Well Said: Bruce

Debonair, suave Male 97½, own, knife and fork, hair, most teeth Available as earnest charity case between the hours of - TBA
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds