Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: 9/11 NEVER FORGET

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310805

• Eira
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 8296
  • Honor Medal 2010
This is one of those tragic days I will always remember.
I only turned the TV on to try to catch the weather forecast and was shocked to see a news bulletin about the 1st aeroplane - as I watched this, the 2nd aeroplane crashing into the Tower was broadcast live. I could hardly believe it - I will never forget the horror of that day and the churning sickness in the pit of my stomach as I saw events unfold on my TV screen.
I can only wish for all those who perished that day to Rest in Peace. My heart goes out to all those who still love and miss them.
Biggest of Hugs to all those whose lives were torn apart and to those who are still suffering from this horrific act of terror.
Remembered Always xxx

Good Luck to the firefighters who are doing the climb in full gear.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pats, photogeek, eleramune, JUJO, Rose57

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Step by step, one goes a long way.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310808

• Aviara
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4178
  • Honor Medal 2010
Glad someone started a thread about the 18th anniversary of 9/11 ....

Like most, I recall exactly where I was ...I was on my first trip to Australia, so far away from friends and family in Canada, and the trip of a lifetime. Had only been there a couple of weeks and was trying to sleep after a very long road trip from Melbourne....finally turned on the TV, cos I couldn’t sleep, and saw the news clip and like many thought it was some kind of ‘trailer’ for a movie ....

Days and days of staring at the TV and witnessing and hearing of the horror ....it was so hard to take it all in and to be so far from home ....

People will never forget ...

Woody...I like your idea of a ‘holiday’, a Remembrance Day of a sort, to commemorate the many many heroes of that day ....and all the victims and their families ....
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune, JUJO

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310811

• Back again
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 209
  • Honor Medal 2010
On this day I was working at QVC, an American company, it was all over every TV. You could not ever believe that anything like this could happen. Although we were in England our hearts went out to the poor souls who died and to there families, God knows how they coped.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Right Now, Keeper, eleramune, JUJO

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310855

• Bruce
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 658
  • Honor Medal 2010
RIP to all the victims and strength to the families.

I am the only person in the world I think who didn't know anything about this until the Wednesday when I was told by a neighbour. I didn't have the TV on that day and I was doing a lot of suspension work and brake work on a car in my garage, by time I had gone in the house in the evening had a bath and had something to eat I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch until morning.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310868

• Lenny
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 370
  • Honor Medal 2010
On that day 18 years, I was packing my bags to fly from Toronto to Manchester England for a vacation with my family living there.
Then the news came through about the awful things happening and the Canadian govt closed the airports to outgoing flights to be able to take incoming flights from planes that were bound for USA, because the US govt had declared a no fly zone across USA.
It was about a week later i was able to fly to England.
We visited the 9/11 memorial in NY city in 2017, breathtaking.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310907

• Poppy
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 820
  • Honor Medal 2010
I saw this on TV that morning and had difficulty believing it was real. It couldn't be true. How could this happen?

From then on I watched the TV constantly. It was the most awful incident I'd ever seen.

There were so many brave folks who died that day trying to rescue those trapped in the two buildings. It was unbelievable horror.

www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/nyregion/911-survivors-ptsd.html

Last edit: by Poppy.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310944

• Aries1950
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1349
  • Honor Medal 2010
Several networks were reliving that horrific day, all day today. The phone calls from the lost souls to their love ones is still heart wrenching. I can't stand watching the planes crashing into the Twin Towers, just like I can't stand watch the old 8mm Zapruder film of JFK's assassination. I've been in both the North and South Towers. It's like watching 2 old friends dying again.
I remember the view from the observatory from atop of the South Tower (Two World Trade Center). It had the best view in the city. Better than the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building. I remember the little cafes and stores in both towers.

I had a friend that worked for Morgan Stanley in around the 69th floor of the North Tower. He told me that people thought that a bomb had gone off. It wasn't until the 2nd plane hit the South Tower some 17 minutes later, that they knew that something truly horrible was happening. He told me from his windows, he couldn't see the plane go in the South Tower. He just saw all of the smoke.

He made it out alive. He told me that when he hit the street, he ran for several blocks before stopping. Good thing too, with all of the cement and steel and flying debris, when the towers dropped.

The truly sad thing is that neither building had an evacuation procedure. My friend said that there were constant announcements about staying in the building to avoid falling debris. No one knew that a plane slammed into the building floors above them.

He told me that when the South was burning, people started to vacate the North Tower. As he and many others were descending the stairs to get out, there were more announcements to stay in the building. Some people turned to head back up the stairs. They had no way of knowing that they were going from surviving to dying.
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO NEW YORK CITY. IT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME, NOT SEEING THE TWIN TOWERS IN THE NEW YORK SKYLINE.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3310968

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 6964
  • Honor Medal 2010
It was in the late evening for me I just switched on the TV before bed ( everyone was asleep) and saw the twin towers being attacked. That was so beyond belief at the beginning I thought It was a fiction movie than I realised that it was the news....

What a truly horrible thing. :(
Warmest wishes to all our American friends for having to live with this pain, past,present and future.
( I heard many brave rescuers got lung cancer from inhaling all these toxic substances ). :(
The following user(s) said Well Said: Right Now, eleramune, JUJO, Rose57

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.
Last edit: by pascalou.

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3311006

• habibi
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 563
  • Honor Medal 2010
It's a day I'll never forget, such a shocking horrific tragedy.

I was at home, it was not long after 2pm when I looked at news on teletext, one sentence, a plane has crashed into the world trade in New York. I knew I would go back to look for more information soon.

Ten minutes later programmes were interrupted by a news flash, it was horrific when the second plane hit because then we knew it wasn't an accident. It was hard to watch but impossible to ignore.

Rest in peace all those that didn't survive.

About a year or two later I bought a large black and white photograph in a frame, it's apparently a well known photograph, it shows the world trade centre before it was attacked. The photograph still hangs on my living room wall, a tribute to everyone who died, were injured and the emergency services who had never faced anything so bad but did every thing they could.
The following user(s) said Well Said: WWWoody, eleramune, JUJO

Everything in moderation including moderation

9/11 NEVER FORGET 1 week 3 days ago #3311054

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2771
I was at work, and hearing about 9/11, couldn’t believe it,The whole world came to a standstill,people were glued to their televisions,Despite being different time zone across the world,
Lives lost,there. we’re survivors,but no doubt,there lives are not the same.
May the people who lost their lives rest in peace always,May the survivors,one day find peace and happiness in their lives
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds