Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: The homelessness problem

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293356

• eleramune
  • eleramune's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1325
  • Honor Medal 2010
Every city around the world has this problem, from US cities to European.

I just read a really interesting article about how Finland solved its homelessness problem, and it seems it worked.

There can be a number of reasons as to why someone ends up homeless, including sudden job loss or family breakdown, severe substance abuse or mental health problems. But most homelessness policies work on the premise that the homeless person has to sort those problems out first before they can get permanent accommodation.

Finland does the opposite - it gives them a home first.

The scheme, introduced in 2007, is called Housing First. It is built on the principle that having a permanent home can make solving health and social problems much easier.

I think this is a great idea, what do you think?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Tinaplum, Rose57, angelproxy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293366

• Tachyon
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1619
  • Honor Medal 2010
I doubt the UK would have sufficient homes available. It sounds like a great idea, I agree... until you get someone with severe substance abuse or mental health problems living right next door to you. I had 4 years of hell living beside a schizophrenic who often just stopped taking his meds when he felt like it, while at the same time taking a lot of drugs and alcohol. He made his home a party spot for local undesirables and caused noise, fights and disruption several nights a week. Everyone in the near vicinity loathed him, but nobody in the local authority cared about law-abiding people like us. Nothing new there though.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Rips, Robin, Rose57, Bruce

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293377

• knighten
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 235
  • Honor Medal 2010
Finland has a tiny population of 5.5 million and a landmass the size of UK. The UK has over 65 million people and rising year on year.There is just not the room and money to keep up with demand.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, Topsy, Jennet, Jane R, Janquine, Rhett1, Rips, Tinaplum, Robin, Rose57

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293400

• hcf3sf
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 701
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think it would work. Here in the US they would have to find affordable places for them to live in cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Wash. DC. etc. I also think that you would have to work out exactly how to do this.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Robin, Rose57

Blessings,
Harry

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293436

• Rose57
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1312
  • Honor Medal 2010
I think it’s a great idea, I couldn’t speak for other countries but here in America there are those that know how to work the system and take advantage.
some kind of way to keep the abusers from taking advantage such as doing community service until they could find work. Just a thought

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293461

• Corvette
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 468
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have offered some of the homeless people $15.00 per hour to work and they say no. Some but not all of them
will say they make more money on the street , and they do not have to pay taxes. If you put job offers on signs
where they stand, someone will take they down. People with families will sometimes take the jobs unless they do
not want other people where they are. The Gov knows how it really is and they also know how hard it is to tract
these people.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jennet, Robin

Last edit: by Corvette. Reason: Left out word

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293521

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2757
  • Honor Medal 2010
Back in the 1960s I used to spend much of my time seeking accommodation for my homeless clients. Sadly nothing seems to change.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Robin, Rose57

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293568

• knighten
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Expert Buzzer
  • Well said received: 235
  • Honor Medal 2010

himerus wrote: Back in the 1960s I used to spend much of my time seeking accommodation for my homeless clients. Sadly nothing seems to change.

Homelessness is different all around the world.In the UK a lot of time effort and money goes into helping the homeless.If children are involved the state has to put a roof over the head of the family by law. Being homeless in the UK is not as bad as it was years ago. The homeless get benefits here paid into a Post Office account. Years ago you needed an address to get benefits but not anymore. The main problem is that of drug and alcohol addiction a scourge that contributes massively to the problem in the UK. I have worked with the homeless and you will find those with addictions become hardened to living on the streets. Many do not want a home as they have their friends who like them have the same addictions.I have found people homes and they give up the keys very soon because its easier to cope with life amongst their peers on the street. There are well run support networks run by charities in the UK helping the homeless. Drop-in centers for food and clothing and a wash are available everywhere. I spoke with a Portuguese guy a few weeks ago who is addicted to heroin. He told me it was great being homeless here because in Portugal the state would not give him any money. The public, unfortunately, makes the mistake of giving money to homeless people which goes to buy alcohol and drugs.I once had to have a go at a woman for giving money to a homeless man outside a railway station.The man was clearly an addict showing the classic symptoms.I told her she was killing him by giving him the money.I told her to go and buy a sandwich for him.The woman just didn't get it
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, Jennet, Jane R, Janquine, Bruce

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293601

• Annette
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4120
  • Honor Medal 2010
Why not do what they do here?

Empty officebuildings, schools etc.. used for homeless and refugees.
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

LEAVER DEA AS SLAEF !

The homelessness problem 1 week 1 day ago #3293630

• JUJO
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2488
In some countries,not all,there are properties laying empty, why don’t the Government make sure these properties are safe to live in,and put homeless people in them, before they know it,these homeless people could die from illness from being on the streets,be attacked.
The following user(s) said Well Said: eleramune

No home is complete without the pitter patter of kitty feet.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds