Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps?

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 4 days 11 hours ago #3251751

• grahamg
  • grahamg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1192
  • Honor Medal 2010
Given the present difficulties the UK is facing with the ongoing Brexit trouble, is it time to reassess the Prime Ministership of Tony Blair do you think?

Like most people in the UK I've not felt the need to be generous towards him since all the aftermath of the second Iraq war, which he'll never completely live down I'm sure, but he did win three elections, and I've a feeling he could have taken the UK out of the current crisis one way or another had he been prime minister (not that I'm a fan in any way nor did I vote for his party during his time in office).
The following user(s) said Well Said: mark2662, T65KBK

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 21 hours ago #3252088

• himerus
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2538
  • Honor Medal 2010
A despicable. greedy man responsible for the needless death of hundreds of British soldiers.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, cestrian, Yo, QuinTSensual

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 21 hours ago #3252097

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3686
  • Honor Medal 2010
While you can't set aside the Iraq War fiasco, it was not something entirely of his making or his full prerogative to avoid, all of the Governments heading the Coalition of the Willing, their leaders and most of their loyal oppositions fell in line behind the US of A, which, as we know now, lied through their teeth to convince them all that this was an honorable and necessary venture. That will likely be the only thing a majority of UK voters remember of his time, but it is not the only thing that makes up his legacy, he was beyond that a most effective politician and leader and for all his grievous faults head and shoulders above the current crop.

With the Brexit challenge facing the union, it is clear that the same stream of lying and fudging facts is at play and that there are many UK politicians who will happily put the needs of the US ahead of the needs of their own constituents. If Blair is the example of how not to serve the nation there aren't many who have learned the lesson.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, QuinTSensual, Rips, Krystalle, Taner, T65KBK

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 20 hours ago #3252125

• mark2662
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 320
  • Honor Medal 2010

himerus wrote: A despicable. greedy man responsible for the needless death of hundreds of British soldiers.

As was Thatcher. She created the falklands war just so she could get re-elected. And it worked
Thatcher is seen as hero. The person who dismantled our infrastructure, oversaw the largest redistribution of wealth from the bottom 90% to the top 10% in the history of the post indistrialisation world, destroyed the NHS, wiped out all rights at work etc etc etc and she is seen as a hero.
TB had a massive job to try and turn around her devastation. He gave us back our rights and so much more. he turned around the NHS and made it work. The lists of his achievements are endless. Oh yes, he refused to take us into the euro. Regarding immigration. The CBI wanted an open door policy in 2001 so they could have a pool of slave labour doing work no-one in the UK would do. TB refused this. It was the tories who opened the door wide open
Look at history. Within days of cameron taking power he was undoing all of TB reforms. He immediately slashed nhs spending by 9%. Regarding rights. The tories didn't repeal them, they just made them impossible for the ordinary person to enforce. Thats repealing by proxy
TB was without doubt our finest leader.
Re iraq. Of course they had the weapons. What was he supposed to do? Ignore all of the evidence? It was a case of damn or be damned
Unlike Thatcher, he didnt send our lads in without good reason. He acted in good faith
All those who say he did the wrong thing. What would wuld they have done given the same conditiona. Don't apply hindsight. Blair did what had to be done at the time
We have a tory government once again destroying our country, undoing TB reforms. WHy? His reforms cut profit. His reforms give too much power and choice to the people. For a party of choice, the tories are experts at taking choice away.
We will only see the full damage that thatcher and the tories have done in years to come.
Unfortunately by that time all of TB reforms will have gone.
WHat would have people have done if the nuclear bombs had started falling? They would have all died horribly.
TB had to prevent that. And he did. There were bombs and because of our intervention they were got rid of. If we hadn't have gone in, many of us would be dead by now
TB. National hero
The following user(s) said Well Said: cahoots, Aida, Krystalle, Taner, T65KBK

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 20 hours ago #3252132

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7366
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thatcher ? Belgrano ? Loss of our industry ? Her obscene lust for the creation of wealth which did not 'trickle down' and stayed in the hands of the get rich quick brigade. Time to reassess her legacy, perhaps. I have been watching The Thatcher Years and her coldness and lack of compassion ( in the midst of all the misery of unemployment at that time ) behind that silly simpering voice still makes me sick to my stomach. God forbid we ever return to anything like that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Yo, Krystalle, Taner, Sue 8pal

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.
Last edit: by Aida.

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 19 hours ago #3252137

• mark2662
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 320
  • Honor Medal 2010

Aida wrote: Thatcher ? Belgrano ? Loss of our industry ? Her obscene lust for wealth which did not 'trickle down' and stayed in the hands of the get rich quick brigade. Time to reassess her legacy, perhaps. I have been watching The Thatcher Years and her coldness and lack of compassion ( in the midst of all the misery of unemployment at that time ) behind that silly simpering voice still makes me sick to my stomach. God forbid we ever return to anything like that.

We have already returned to that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: QuinTSensual, Sue 8pal

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 19 hours ago #3252140

• Aida
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 7366
  • Honor Medal 2010

mark2662 wrote:

Aida wrote: Thatcher ? Belgrano ? Loss of our industry ? Her obscene lust for wealth which did not 'trickle down' and stayed in the hands of the get rich quick brigade. Time to reassess her legacy, perhaps. I have been watching The Thatcher Years and her coldness and lack of compassion ( in the midst of all the misery of unemployment at that time ) behind that silly simpering voice still makes me sick to my stomach. God forbid we ever return to anything like that.

We have already returned to that.

Yes, I concede, you are right.
Tony Blair was a great diplomat and during his time in office before 'that war' he was much admired in the USA.
The following user(s) said Well Said: T65KBK

Tolerance is the seed : acceptance is the tree.

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 19 hours ago #3252146

• Ivorbigwedge
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1639
  • Honor Medal 2010
My assessment of Tony Blair is that had he not chosen a career in politics he would have made an excellent estate agent or second hand car salesman.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Eira, Yo, Jane R, QuinTSensual

A perfect martini should be made by filling a glass with gin, then waving it in the general direction of Italy.

Never argue with an idiot......they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 17 hours ago #3252168

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1710
  • Honor Medal 2010
Tony Blair wouldn't know the truth if it bit him in the behind!

Spend Spend Spend and left the country in a right mess, has taken years to try and repair the damage and reduce the huge debt. and we have all suffered and continue to suffer as a result.

One of the worst PM's we have ever had.
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Yo, QuinTSensual

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Time to reassess Tony Blair's legacy perhaps? 3 days 17 hours ago #3252175

• Taner
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Gold Buzzer
  • Well said received: 169
  • Honor Medal 2010
What a strange time to start this topic - it wouldn't be a desperate attempt to distract us from our 'government' at a time when they're in such a huge mess? Very Daily Mail!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Aida, Meeooow

Last edit: by Taner.
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds