Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote?

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 5 days ago #3235159

• Mary Mary
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 463
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote:

Jennet wrote: www.11alive.com/article/news/health/what...02-a060-d0b9ff5a725a

What to know about new abortion law: Law professor weighs in
Questions and confusion surround Georgia’s new abortion law.
Author: Becky Kellogg
Published: 5:00 PM EDT May 9, 2019
Updated: 11:09 AM EDT May 14, 2019

ATLANTA — Georgia’s so-called heartbeat abortion bill was signed into law this week. It makes most abortions illegal after six weeks, or when a fetal heartbeat can be heard.

The law does make certain exceptions. In cases of rape or incest, a woman can have an abortion up to 20 weeks. Also, if a woman's life is in danger, the law will allow her to have an abortion.

Thank you for the concise information.

except it is about the Georgia law, not the Alabama one passed today, which has NO exceptions.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Eira, Bretrick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 5 days ago #3235162

• Jennet
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1678
  • Honor Medal 2010

Robin wrote:

Annette wrote: 25 white, christian, Republican men just voted to ban abortion in Alabama.

Alabama’s Republican-controlled state senate passed a bill Tuesday to outlaw abortion, making it a crime to perform the procedure at any stage of pregnancy.

The strictest-in-the-nation abortion ban allows an exception only when the woman’s health is at serious risk, and sets up a legal battle that supporters hope will lead to the supreme court overturning its landmark ruling that legalized abortion nationwide.

The legislation, which passed by a vote of 25-6, makes it a class A felony for a doctor to perform an abortion, punishable by 10 to 99 years in prison. Women would not face criminal penalties for getting an abortion.

Lawmakers approved the legislation after a debate that stretched more than four hours, where minority Democrats introduced a slew of amendments in an attempt to block it.

“You don’t have to raise that child. You don’t have to carry that child. You don’t have to provide for that child. You don’t have to do anything for that child, but yet you want to make the decision for that woman,” the state senator Vivian Davis Figures told the bill’s proponents.

She introduced amendments that would require the state to expand Medicaid, force legislators who vote for the measure to pay the state’s legal bills, or make it a crime for men to get vasectomies. All failed.

Figures questioned the backers’ resistance to adding an exception for rape and incest. “Do you know what it’s like to be raped?” she said. “Why would you not want a woman to at least have that exception for such a horrific act?”

“Human life has rights, and when someone takes those rights, that’s when we as government have to step in,” said the state senator Clyde Chambliss. “When God creates that life, that miracle of life inside the woman’s womb, it’s not our place as humans to extinguish that life. That’s what I believe.”

The bill is part of a trend across the US in which Republican-controlled states are attempting to put new restrictions on abortion, gambling that they will fare better in the courts following the confirmation of new federal judges and supreme court justices picked by the Trump administration.

Opponents predict the legislation will drive doctors to leave Alabama, which already has some of the highest rates of infant mortality and cervical cancer.
www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/14/...emptions-vote-latest

So because Clyde Chambliss beliefs in a god all women must bow.

Alabama has the highest per capita death penalty rate in the country.
What about these lives ´god´ created?
As usual this religion just cherry picks what suits them.

Whats next?

Take away the right to vote for women?

Black people not allowed to sit in the bus?

have not agreed with Annette on much of anything but I have to agree with this except the last two lines.
I am pro choice, not saying abortion is a good thing, that is something that person will have to live with the rest of their life. I have a lot of options/views on this.

Quote:
“The measure contains no exception for rape and incest, after lawmakers voted down an amendment Tuesday that would have added such an exception.”

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/...beat-law/3676635002/

Alabama lawmakers in the House and Senate have sent a bill to Gov. Kay Ivey's desk that would ban nearly all abortions in the state at any stage of the pregnancy unless the mother’s physical or mental health is in jeopardy.

If a woman had been raped , I don’t think she would have any trouble convincing anyone that her mental health is in jeopardy
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Rhett1

Last edit: by Jennet.

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235164

• eleramune
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1326
  • Honor Medal 2010

Jennet wrote: www.11alive.com/article/news/health/what...02-a060-d0b9ff5a725a

What to know about new abortion law: Law professor weighs in
Questions and confusion surround Georgia’s new abortion law.
Author: Becky Kellogg
Published: 5:00 PM EDT May 9, 2019
Updated: 11:09 AM EDT May 14, 2019

ATLANTA — Georgia’s so-called heartbeat abortion bill was signed into law this week. It makes most abortions illegal after six weeks, or when a fetal heartbeat can be heard.

The law does make certain exceptions. In cases of rape or incest, a woman can have an abortion up to 20 weeks. Also, if a woman's life is in danger, the law will allow her to have an abortion.

No, the only exception is when the mother’s life is at serious risk, but not for cases of rape or incest, it was like that before but not under the new law.
Also, before it was 20 weeks (if the mother's life was at risk), now it's going to be six weeks of pregnancy, a time period in which many women aren't yet aware of their pregnancy.
Positive note in all of this, the law has to go to the Supreme Court, so there is still hope.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Sage59

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235175

• WWWoody
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1251
  • Honor Medal 2010
Alabama is taking the lead to ban this disgusting practice. Who would have thought?

God Bless Murica!

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235187

• Serena77
  • Serena77's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11889
  • Honor Medal 2010
I am sure voting rights will not be infringed upon. If alien non citizens can vote in some elections, I rather doubt it.
The following user(s) said Well Said: norm1035, WWWoody

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235188

• Dennis 2
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3897
  • Honor Medal 2010
Heck some even endorse the dead voting doubt if anything more than a personal anti US bias shows it's face.
S77 totally agree
The following user(s) said Well Said: Serena77

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235200

• Sage59
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 108

General Custard wrote: Well done Alabama for saving countless healthy unborn children!!...if they don't want pregnancy they should use contraception!!!

You can’t possibly be gullible enough to think ALL pregnancies are due to a lack of contraceptive use in otherwise consensual sex.

What about violent rape?What about incest?

So now the female , whether child or woman, who went through a horrific experience of not having any control over her body gets another experience of not having control over her own body once again. She is forced to have a baby from a man or men who raped her?

Barbaric!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Pats, Piscean, habibi

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235201

• Sage59
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Senior Buzzer
  • Well said received: 108

Jennet wrote:

Robin wrote:

Annette wrote: 25 white, christian, Republican men just voted to ban abortion in Alabama.

Alabama’s Republican-controlled state senate passed a bill Tuesday to outlaw abortion, making it a crime to perform the procedure at any stage of pregnancy.

The strictest-in-the-nation abortion ban allows an exception only when the woman’s health is at serious risk, and sets up a legal battle that supporters hope will lead to the supreme court overturning its landmark ruling that legalized abortion nationwide.

The legislation, which passed by a vote of 25-6, makes it a class A felony for a doctor to perform an abortion, punishable by 10 to 99 years in prison. Women would not face criminal penalties for getting an abortion.

Lawmakers approved the legislation after a debate that stretched more than four hours, where minority Democrats introduced a slew of amendments in an attempt to block it.

“You don’t have to raise that child. You don’t have to carry that child. You don’t have to provide for that child. You don’t have to do anything for that child, but yet you want to make the decision for that woman,” the state senator Vivian Davis Figures told the bill’s proponents.

She introduced amendments that would require the state to expand Medicaid, force legislators who vote for the measure to pay the state’s legal bills, or make it a crime for men to get vasectomies. All failed.

Figures questioned the backers’ resistance to adding an exception for rape and incest. “Do you know what it’s like to be raped?” she said. “Why would you not want a woman to at least have that exception for such a horrific act?”

“Human life has rights, and when someone takes those rights, that’s when we as government have to step in,” said the state senator Clyde Chambliss. “When God creates that life, that miracle of life inside the woman’s womb, it’s not our place as humans to extinguish that life. That’s what I believe.”

The bill is part of a trend across the US in which Republican-controlled states are attempting to put new restrictions on abortion, gambling that they will fare better in the courts following the confirmation of new federal judges and supreme court justices picked by the Trump administration.

Opponents predict the legislation will drive doctors to leave Alabama, which already has some of the highest rates of infant mortality and cervical cancer.
www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/14/...emptions-vote-latest

So because Clyde Chambliss beliefs in a god all women must bow.

Alabama has the highest per capita death penalty rate in the country.
What about these lives ´god´ created?
As usual this religion just cherry picks what suits them.

Whats next?

Take away the right to vote for women?

Black people not allowed to sit in the bus?

have not agreed with Annette on much of anything but I have to agree with this except the last two lines.
I am pro choice, not saying abortion is a good thing, that is something that person will have to live with the rest of their life. I have a lot of options/views on this.

Quote:
“The measure contains no exception for rape and incest, after lawmakers voted down an amendment Tuesday that would have added such an exception.”

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/...beat-law/3676635002/

Alabama lawmakers in the House and Senate have sent a bill to Gov. Kay Ivey's desk that would ban nearly all abortions in the state at any stage of the pregnancy unless the mother’s physical or mental health is in jeopardy.

If a woman had been raped , I don’t think she would have any trouble convincing anyone that her mental health is in jeopardy

A woman who has been raped won’t have a chance to be listened to. They government doesn’t care how she got pregnant. They only care that no child be aborted. They are NO EXCEPTIONS! NONE!
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235203

• Vegemite Kid
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 10996
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote: I am sure voting rights will not be infringed upon. If alien non citizens can vote in some elections, I rather doubt it.

True.

I am also sure places which allow terminations won't be getting rid of old people next.
Hyperbole works both ways.

I do however think any steps to erode women's rights may well pave the way for further erosions.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Mary Mary

US, whats next? Not allowing women to vote? 3 months 4 days ago #3235210

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1249
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

Serena77 wrote: I am sure voting rights will not be infringed upon. If alien non citizens can vote in some elections, I rather doubt it.

True.

I am also sure places which allow terminations won't be getting rid of old people next.
Hyperbole works both ways.

I do however think any steps to erode women's rights may well pave the way for further erosions.

Can the women who wish to do so legally go to a neighbouring state in order to get around this ban, if it isn't struck down?

I must say it does seem odd to most of us on the forum I'm guessing, that such a law could come anywhere close to being enacted. If stricter laws were thought necessary you'd have thought there were many many possible stages that could have appealed to all sectors of society before this step was taken by any state.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Mary Mary

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds