Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Landlords v Tenants

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215819

  • Polliyana
  • Polliyana's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 4077
  • Well said received: 3930
  • Points: 71431
  • Honor Medal 2010
A new law is to be passed to to make it more difficult to safeguard their property, on the face of it. Is this fair?
I don't think so. At the moment the tenant gives one months notice to quit, The landlord is obliged to give two months notice to tenant. The government is putting a stop to this as far as landlord is concerned, they have to have a really good reason to retrieve his property.
it is already very difficult to get an undisirable tenant out as it is. Some are very distuctive, it takes three months to implment a Court Order as it is. Meanwhile tenants sometimes stop paying their rent or do a moonlight flit after trashing the property.
And reduce the property value, they get into arrears etc .
I wonder how much the minister knows about these issues and all other issues that bedevils landlords.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Pi, Topsy, Jane R, QuinTSensual, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Polliyana.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215840

  • NewTricks
  • NewTricks's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1099
  • Well said received: 1707
  • Points: 33808
  • Honor Medal 2010
From the tenants point of view, this is overdue legislation to stop so called ' revenge evictions' when tenants ask for repairs to be made and instead the landlord evicts them as 'troublemakers' using section 21 of the Housing Act. Tenants face massive upheaval and uncertainty in these circumstances.

Truth is there are good and bad Tenants & Landlords, difficult to strike a fair balance imo.
The following user(s) said Well Said: bryoney, Pats, Eira, hcf3sf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215867

  • Rips
  • Rips's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2926
  • Well said received: 4961
  • Points: 63853
  • Honor Medal 2010
It’s already a mine field for a landlord wanting to evict an undesirable tenant , it can take up to year before you get your property back
We did holiday let’s for years before going into 6 month assured shorthold tenancy letting.
That’s when the fun and games started.
it’s unbelievable the filth people generate and live in, the state the property was left in always came as a shock to me.
Once had two doctors stay for a year omg shocking mess, they turned the place into a hovel.
That was through an Agency who check up on the property ever so often!
I would never go back into renting out..... our youngest was looking like he would never leave home so we put him in there :laugh:
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Libby, MondayOptimist

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rips.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215881

  • Rain
  • Rain's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Posts: 392
  • Well said received: 1429
  • Points: 109191
  • Honor Medal 2010
There are some dreadful landlords out there as well. Here a few of my experiences that will make your hair curl.

In 1985 I rented a granny flat on the grounds of the landlady’s large house. It wasn’t the cheeriest place but at 1 mile from Dublin city centre where I worked it was ideal. It was 55 pounds a week which was half my weekly wage. On my first week there, I would come home to find a smell of Windowlene in the place. She admitted she let herself in ‘now and then’ to clean the windows. Obviously she was poking about my things and the windows were an excuse. When you are desperate to find somewhere to live you often put up with more than you should. When I left she withheld returning my deposit, claiming I had stolen some expensive saucepans. This was laughable as all that was there were a few scratched old pots with loose handles and I certainly had no interest in them. She was a real piece of work!

In 1987 I moved into a house having done all the paperwork etc with the landlady, who again lived next door. A man appeared on my first day there while the landlady was at work. He asked to come in for a ‘wee cup of tea.’ He claimed to be her husband but was clearly very drunk so I refused to let him in. He became abusive so I shut the door. He broke the lock with one kick, came in, pinned me against the wall and drew back his fist, hissing ‘never lock me out of my own property again.’ Needless to say, I left immediately, having to pay for two removal trucks in one week.

I also lived in a freshly painted cottage in 1988 that was so damp, mould developed all over the walls within weeks. An actual mushroom grew out of the carpet in the spare bedroom and at night woodlice emerged from the skirting boards and crawled over the lino in the kitchen.

My partner and I looked at a cottage to rent in 2001 and despite a pretty exterior, it smelled like goats had been living in it. There was a full sized lawn mower in one of the bedrooms with bits of grass hanging off it. When the landlord pointed to a large wardrobe and said ‘I keep that locked’ we practically ran out the door. Goodness knows what was in there!

We built our current house in 2004 and for three years before that, rented a country cottage at 125 euro a week, which again was expensive for the time. This landlady was also a nightmare! She not only turned up for a ‘visit’ without any notice at all, she would also bring her entire family. This was so intrusive. She even turned up one morning on New Year’s Day, obviously hoping to find empty bottles and mess everywhere. She was disappointed! The kitchen cooker leaked bottled gas and that was never fixed despite our requests. We had to put up with a massive wasp’s nest in the attic. The wasps used to get into the airing cupboard and fly round the kitchen.

On our first week there, while my partner was at work, I had a bath. I was sitting by the fire wrapped in a towel when the front door opened 6 inches, stopped by the chain and a strange man peered in. I fled and got dressed. When I approached the door and asked who he was he said he was the plumber and that he always had a key. I was furious at this. The landlady’s reaction was totally weird and she was very sulky that we demanded he return the key to her.

On her visits we would walk her and her family to their car. She always pulled the same stunt. She would get into her car and then say ‘ooh, I must nip to the loo before I set off,’ knowing that we could hardly follow her back in, but were obliged to stand and chat to her family by the car. She obviously had a good nose around the rooms she hadn’t had access to like the bedroom.

The cottage was furnished and she had horrible nick knacks all over the house, nasty ornaments and tons of wicker baskets with dried flowers in them and dishes of pot pouri everywhere. She asked us not to move anything, so we never felt at home. When she found out we were building a house nearby, she put the rent up, knowing it wasn’t a good time for us to find alternative accommodation.

Just some of the fun I had as a tenant. We are always hearing about families from hell who rent houses and wreck them. There’s the other side of the coin for you. Tenants need protecting too.
The following user(s) said Well Said: hcf3sf

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rain.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215904

  • wendeey
  • wendeey's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2156
  • Well said received: 1687
  • Points: 64235
  • Honor Medal 2010

Rips wrote: It’s already a mine field for a landlord wanting to evict an undesirable tenant , it can take up to year before you get your property back
We did holiday let’s for years before going into 6 month assured shorthold tenancy letting.
That’s when the fun and games started.
it’s unbelievable the filth people generate and live in, the state the property was left in always came as a shock to me.
Once had two doctors stay for a year omg shocking mess, they turned the place into a hovel.
That was through an Agency who check up on the property ever so often!
I would never go back into renting out..... our youngest was looking like he would never leave home so we put him in there :laugh:


Similar experience, we rented out our house in one county and rented a property in another. Omg did they trash our property. Our landlady was surprised how lovely we had left her property when we left and she said it was the first time it had ever happened. Would I ever rent to somebody again, not on your life and have heard similar stories from people who have rented out properties.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Rips, MondayOptimist

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by wendeey.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215932

  • Jane R
  • Jane R's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2943
  • Well said received: 5282
  • Points: 133725
  • Honor Medal 2010
Anyone who has watched Cant Pay, We'll Take it Away will have their eyes opened to the reality of rented property. The majority leave an absolute tip behind, haven't paid rent for months and seem to have an unfair advantage over the landlords - it often has taken them up to a year to finally get their property back. I think the new law is a bad move indeed.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215943

  • Robin
  • Robin's Avatar
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1046
  • Well said received: 1038
  • Points: 125344
  • Honor Medal 2010
Those are reasons I don't rent my other house out.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215955

  • TwistNShout
  • TwistNShout's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 1412
  • Well said received: 1433
  • Points: 28869
  • Honor Medal 2010
I have had experience as a tenant, when I split from my ex-wife, some landlords and agents are fair but others abuse their position of power.

I rented a granny annex, a couple of times when I came home I was sure that things weren't where I had left them. Then one day I came early and discovered my landlady in my flat, sorting through my opened post on my desk. According to her she had the right to enter "her property" at any time to check I was not maltreating it - why that gave her the right to read my post I have no idea.

When I rented a flat it was filthy and the garden was an overgrown mess when I moved in, all documented with photos by the independent inspection. I stayed there 2 years then gave notice that I was moving out at the end of my contract. When I moved out it was far cleaner than when I moved in and the garden was immaculate. The list of charges was extortionate, including apparently a landscape gardener to sort out the garden. When I quibbled I was told to take them to court.

The next place I signed up for a year, the day after the six months was up I was served with a weeks notice to quit - reason that the landlord had decided to live there himself. I objected to the short notice, eventually we settled on two months notice. They could not find any fault with my tenancy and returned the deposit in full.

The next, and last, place I rented I couldn't fault the landlord or agents and they described us as model tenants.

Don't get me started on the experiences of my son's as students, student landlords are a whole different level of rip off merchants.

I know that there are bad tenants as well as bad landlords but good tenants need security.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rain

Please Log in to join the conversation.

vivamus vitae non paenitenda

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215962

  • Polliyana
  • Polliyana's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 4077
  • Well said received: 3930
  • Points: 71431
  • Honor Medal 2010

TwistNShout wrote: I have had experience as a tenant, when I split from my ex-wife, some landlords and agents are fair but others abuse their position of power.

I rented a granny annex, a couple of times when I came home I was sure that things weren't where I had left them. Then one day I came early and discovered my landlady in my flat, sorting through my opened post on my desk. According to her she had the right to enter "her property" at any time to check I was not maltreating it - why that gave her the right to read my post I have no idea.

When I rented a flat it was filthy and the garden was an overgrown mess when I moved in, all documented with photos by the independent inspection. I stayed there 2 years then gave notice that I was moving out at the end of my contract. When I moved out it was far cleaner than when I moved in and the garden was immaculate. The list of charges was extortionate, including apparently a landscape gardener to sort out the garden. When I quibbled I was told to take them to court.

The next place I signed up for a year, the day after the six months was up I was served with a weeks notice to quit - reason that the landlord had decided to live there himself. I objected to the short notice, eventually we settled on two months notice. They could not find any fault with my tenancy and returned the deposit in full.

The next, and last, place I rented I couldn't fault the landlord or agents and they described us as model tenants.

Don't get me started on the experiences of my son's as students, student landlords are a whole different level of rip off merchants.

I know that there are bad tenants as well as bad landlords but good tenants need security.


Six month shorthold tenancy is perfectly legal. Surely it's up to the potential tenant to enquire before signing a contract if the lease may be extended, if they play their part and be a good tenant?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Rips

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Landlords v Tenants 3 months 4 days ago #3215969

  • Rips
  • Rips's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Posts: 2926
  • Well said received: 4961
  • Points: 63853
  • Honor Medal 2010

Polliyana wrote:

TwistNShout wrote: I have had experience as a tenant, when I split from my ex-wife, some landlords and agents are fair but others abuse their position of power.

I rented a granny annex, a couple of times when I came home I was sure that things weren't where I had left them. Then one day I came early and discovered my landlady in my flat, sorting through my opened post on my desk. According to her she had the right to enter "her property" at any time to check I was not maltreating it - why that gave her the right to read my post I have no idea.

When I rented a flat it was filthy and the garden was an overgrown mess when I moved in, all documented with photos by the independent inspection. I stayed there 2 years then gave notice that I was moving out at the end of my contract. When I moved out it was far cleaner than when I moved in and the garden was immaculate. The list of charges was extortionate, including apparently a landscape gardener to sort out the garden. When I quibbled I was told to take them to court.

The next place I signed up for a year, the day after the six months was up I was served with a weeks notice to quit - reason that the landlord had decided to live there himself. I objected to the short notice, eventually we settled on two months notice. They could not find any fault with my tenancy and returned the deposit in full.

The next, and last, place I rented I couldn't fault the landlord or agents and they described us as model tenants.

Don't get me started on the experiences of my son's as students, student landlords are a whole different level of rip off merchants.

I know that there are bad tenants as well as bad landlords but good tenants need security.


Six month shorthold tenancy is perfectly legal. Surely it's up to the potential tenant to enquire before signing a contract if the lease may be extended, if they play their part and be a good tenant?


Yes any extension of a shorthold tenancy agreement is at the landlords discretion.
When a contract is coming to an end the landlord still has to give the tenant notice to quit in writing

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

Over 50 forums just for seniors Join Free here!

Buzz50 is one of the few sites where the forums are strictly restricted to those who are over 50 only.

Our senior forums are run by over 50s purely for over 50s to enjoy. If you like serious or even light hearted discussions then this is the place for you.