Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Amritsar massacre

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214829

• Davegem
  • Davegem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2861
  • Honor Medal 2010
On the 100th anniversary of the Amritsar massacre where 100's of unarmed civilians were killed, the UK high commissioner to India has echoed Mrs May's words in Parliament last week, expressing "deep regret" over the incident.
Why has the UK stopped short of full apology?
Do you think the government should?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214835

• NewTricks
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1684
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm not in favour of the current trend to expect countries to apologise for things that happened 100 years plus ago. None of the people involved are still alive and the current leaders and populations of a country are not responsible for the actions of their ancestors.

Would we expect Italy to apologise for the Romans invading Britain?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, Pats, Polliyana, wendeey, Pi, peejay26, Topsy, LovelyMeerkat, Jane R, photogeek and 4 other people also said thanks.

Better to be thought a fool........
than to open your mouth and prove it!

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214841

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3929
  • Honor Medal 2010
Know nothing about that at all but with today's climate It might make some feel so very good. Kind of like us complaining on the Alamo really do lots of good wouldn't it, some kinfolks of the Donner Party could like wise do the same. Seems really like a joke to give an apology for an incident long ago when probably none alive today concerned or involved. So was May involved in it?

NOPE!
The following user(s) said Well Said: wendeey, Topsy

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214873

• Hilary1955
  • New Buzzer
  • New Buzzer
  • Well said received: 18
I think it is reasonable for an American to comment on this British atrocity, just as I, as an Englishman, can comment on atrocities carried out by the U.S. army. (Very topical today with the arrest of Assange and the attempt to get him sent to America because he revealed American atrocities in Afghanistan and Iraq.) There are very few nations with clean hands ( maybe Norway?). Does it do any good to apologise? In general I think yes, because it shows the victim countries, tribes etc, that their sufferings have been recognised and also hopes to educate the descendants of the aggressors that bad things were done by their ancestors although they themselves certainly should not be blamed.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annnie, altshovel, Davenorave, Vegemite Kid

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214881

• Jane R
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5063
  • Honor Medal 2010
We can all read your post and understand what the proposed apology is for? I can't say I know much about it either, but going by what you have written, no, I don't think we should apologise on behalf of people from another age and their actions. Like member said upthread, where would it all end? Should Iceland apologise for the Vikings' plundering and pillaging of our island?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, wendeey, Topsy, Rhett1, Tinaplum

Last edit: by pascalou. Reason: edited unwanted quote

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214896

• Jane R
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5063
  • Honor Medal 2010
I don't go along with any type of historical apologies and my reasons are in the previous post.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey, Topsy, Rhett1

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214901

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
I'm open to persuasion on the subject, although I'm intrigued as to the difference between "deeply regretting" and apologizing. I guess the latter may lead to reasons for litigation, admission of guilt etc.

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214956

• pascalou
  • Well said received: 9644
  • Honor Medal 2010
Some personal , and out of topic personal remarks and private conversations have been removed.
Please address the post not the poster and stay on topic.

Pascalou

Smile to life and life will smile back at you.

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214966

• Annnie
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 5955
  • Honor Medal 2010
For them the hundred years mark seems to signify a farewell to the incident, a letting go, putting it to rest - in a similar way to UK's own centenary commemorations to those who died in WW1.
After that events tend to be consigned to the history books.

So I never heard of it either till today and no prizes to me for guessing why we were not taught about this, but only about the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Maybe the Indians, a passionate people compared to the stiff upper lipped Brits, would have liked a chance to forgive us .... but we never asked.

No we didn't do it, it was our ancestors and the dead cannot speak but plenty in the UK at that time condemned the action of firing into a crowd of 15,000 protestors, men women and children. Winston Churchill was one .

"Deeply regret" is fine, a typical sort of Brit thing to say. However many Indian people looked up to us and some still do or would like to. They have adopted many of our ways of living and have respected our high moral standards as they saw it.
They fought beside our military in both world wars, largely unthanked, uninvited even to the Cenotaph in Novembers until just recently.
They would have appreciated a far more heartfelt apology today - but we missed our chance now.

Do sincerely regret that.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Tachyon, cestrian, Davenorave, Vegemite Kid, Davegem, hcf3sf

Amritsar massacre 1 week 3 days ago #3214967

• Davegem
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Annnie wrote: For them the hundred years mark seems to signify a farewell to the incident, a letting go, putting it to rest - in a similar way to UK's own centenary commemorations to those who died in WW1.
After that events tend to be consigned to the history books.

So I never heard of it either till today and no prizes to me for guessing why we were not taught about this, but only about the Black Hole of Calcutta.
Maybe the Indians, a passionate people compared to the stiff upper lipped Brits, would have liked a chance to forgive us .... but we never asked.

No we didn't do it, it was our ancestors and the dead cannot speak but plenty in the UK at that time condemned the action of firing into a crowd of 15,000 protestors, men women and children. Winston Churchill was one .

"Deeply regret" is fine, a typical sort of Brit thing to say. However many Indian people looked up to us and some still do or would like to. They have adopted many of our ways of living and have respected our high moral standards as they saw it.
They fought beside our military in both world wars, largely unthanked, uninvited even to the Cenotaph in Novembers until just recently.
They would have appreciated a far more heartfelt apology today - but we missed our chance now.

Do sincerely regret that.

What a thoughtful, intelligent reply, thank you so much for that Annie.

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds