Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Knife crime

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189137

• Mykle
  • Mykle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 889
  • Honor Medal 2010
I get utterly fed up with the pussy footing around by polititians etc. on this problem regarding Stop and search. "Oh it may offend some people" etc etc. Stabbing with a knife doesnt offend it usually kills , Stop and search anybody anywhere, if it offends so be it , but it may prevent a loss of life.. Also what race mainly have the people been that have used a knife?? I suggest that they are mainly coloured or Eastern European, so these people have no reason to complain.
If stop and search saves one life then it is worth it.
More visible Police on the streets, More police !! It is the same anywhere, people behind desks making desicions about things that they know very little about just to save money. That saving money MAY have cost lives!! so in my eyes these people are partly responsible .
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey, Pi, sandoval, Jane R

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189186

• Pi
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3270
  • Honor Medal 2010
It might also be slightly more of a deterrent and get across the message of how serious the crime was for being in possession of a knife if the 'punishment' of a caution was used less often!

A suspended sentence as a minimum for a first offence followed by an automatic custodial sentence following subsequent breaches as it is not that much less serious than carrying a gun.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mykle

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189190

• Vegemite Kid
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11420
  • Honor Medal 2010
Stop and search done reasonably I do not object to, if applied equally to everyone

Targeting racial groups and treating them differently - yes I would object.
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, pascalou, Eira, Vienna, eleramune, Savvy

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189256

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1687
  • Honor Medal 2010
Recommended listening of a mum whose son got murdered who called into LBC chat show last night (5 mins long), well worth listening to, you've got to be a hard hearted person not to be effected by it.

www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarb...fe-crime-ian-wilson/

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189258

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
On Sky News last night there was a group of black street rappers who said they agreed with stop and search as people wouldn't carry knives if they had the fear of being stopped and searched.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R, Mykle

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189261

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote: Stop and search done reasonably I do not object to, if applied equally to everyone

If you had knowledge of this, you would know that it's young black boys doing the stabbing, so do you suggest they stop and search an equal number of young white boys just for show?
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Topsy, Mykle

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189268

• wendeey
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010
Mykle wrote: More visible Police on the streets, More police !! It is the same anywhere, people behind desks making desicions about things that they know very little about just to save money. That saving money MAY have cost lives!! so in my eyes these people are partly responsible.

Police on the streets as well as the fear of getting caught, means the police get to know the people in the community.

Years ago I used to live in a town with a population of 1,000. There was two policemen, they knew everybody, they knew all the kids, the ones to watch, etc. They played football with them, went on camping trips, etc.

Prevention is better than cure in my view.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, Diane, Mykle

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189375

• Mykle
  • Mykle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 889
  • Honor Medal 2010

wendeey wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote: Stop and search done reasonably I do not object to, if applied equally to everyone

If you had knowledge of this, you would know that it's young black boys doing the stabbing, so do you suggest they stop and search an equal number of young white boys just for show?

You have to target the people that are the race and colour of those that are commiting the knife crime, and if they are predominantly black then those are the ones that are going to be stopped first, if they dont like it well , sorry , but better to take one knife off the street than a dead boy. If it wre white guys that were doing the knife rime then search them first.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Polliyana, wendeey

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189392

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4953
  • Honor Medal 2010
Spoons next?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Knife crime 4 months 1 week ago #3189401

• kedro
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 4953
  • Honor Medal 2010
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/28/...out-knife-in-britain
Other preconceptions are very misleading. A study titled Young People and Street Crime, commissioned by the Youth Justice Board across 32 London boroughs, illustrated that when other relevant social and economic factors were taken into account, race and ethnicity had no significance at all. Crime is more prevalent in poor areas, and since black people are disproportionately poor, they are disproportionately affected – as perpetrators and victims. It’s class – not race or culture – that is the defining issue. “When we took everything else into account, ethnicity dropped out of the model altogether,” says Marian Fitzgerald, a visiting professor of criminology at the University of Kent.
The following user(s) said Well Said: altshovel, Vegemite Kid, Eira, Rain, Davegem

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds