Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194275

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3592
  • Honor Medal 2010
Same for Texas we have very little crime in my area and really when the Katrina refuges arrived was about the only time it spiked but after 2-3 home break ins and several refuges shot and killed all went down a lot like overnight but many had to be evicted from places by force, hotels and motels, we also have the stand your ground and castle laws here.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Topsy, PopsnTuff, Robin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194414

• Gabby Hayes
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3301
  • Honor Medal 2010

KayyGee wrote: I they say, there are none so blind. In the end one just has to conclude, as Mrs Pelosi did with that other fella, it's just not worth it. As for Oz, well I feel satisfied that I could go to any corner of the country at any time of the day or night and feel perfectly safe.

I'm just as satisfied that I could go to any corner of this country at any time of day or night and feel perfectly safe. Our gun laws and my concealed carry permit make that possible. Well perhaps not in some of our larger, liberal-controlled cities that the Dems prefer to maintain as combat zones, but in the neutral zones that the rest of America controls. :P

Speaking of traveling to the far corners, didn't you mention last year that you were traveling up here for a visit in late summer? Did that actually happen? And did you do any traveling? Or were you hiding in the back of the bus the entire time out of fear that some of our ever-present machine gun and sniper fire that constantly sweeps the land might pick you off? smile.png

Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Last edit: by Gabby Hayes.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194416

• Gabby Hayes
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: Same for Texas we have very little crime in my area and really when the Katrina refuges arrived was about the only time it spiked but after 2-3 home break ins and several refuges shot and killed all went down a lot like overnight but many had to be evicted from places by force, hotels and motels, we also have the stand your ground and castle laws here.

Yep, criminals tend to avoid places where the people are known for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. Like that old sign says, "Break in here at night and you're likely to still be here in the morning." :lol:
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff

Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194422

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1206
  • Honor Medal 2010

Gabby Hayes wrote:

Dennis 2 wrote: Same for Texas we have very little crime in my area and really when the Katrina refuges arrived was about the only time it spiked but after 2-3 home break ins and several refuges shot and killed all went down a lot like overnight but many had to be evicted from places by force, hotels and motels, we also have the stand your ground and castle laws here.

Gabby wrote:
Yep, criminals tend to avoid places where the people are known for exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. Like that old sign says, "Break in here at night and you're likely to still be here in the morning." :lol:

Would you have no conscience about whoever it was you shot, even if "they deserved it"?
Would the fact the person breaking in might be armed take all such consideration out of your mind forever?

I admit if someone broke into my house, and I had a gun I might well attempt to shoot them, but as you're likely to be the one caught unawares the intruder would most likely have the advantage, and that is taking away all the possibilities someone you didn't intend to shoot got hit, like a member of your own family perhaps, mistaken for an intruder.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194428

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3592
  • Honor Medal 2010
Mr Graham did the street thugs have any feeling stabbing my dad's eye out or cutting me (HOPE YOU ANSWER) I really bet they did not, did a law prevent them from doing it NO! Would have any law? I Had cuts on me until I stopped it, saved dad's life stopped the blood flow best I could and you know I cared less for the street thug Lonzo that was tattoed in his neck, never lifted a finger to assist him I admit I worked on dad while my shirt was wrapped around my arm for my cuts, so sorry heck no, deserve it darn right he did! Did dad deserve to lose his eye just riding in my truck? Guess what Lonzo did not hurt anyone else, being prepared saved dad's life, go preach elsewhere on that. The person was armed with a knife and used it, out on bond for assault with deadly weapon, prior history also. Some play dumb games and lose big time, bet if he had the chance he just might not try it again you think. I posted a picture of my shirt and vest here before but some must have thought it was some to much so pass on doing it again. My actions gave me a few more years with dad, no regrets at all.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff, Gabby Hayes, Robin

Last edit: by Dennis 2.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194431

• KayyGee
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3539
  • Honor Medal 2010

Gabby Hayes wrote:

KayyGee wrote: I they say, there are none so blind. In the end one just has to conclude, as Mrs Pelosi did with that other fella, it's just not worth it. As for Oz, well I feel satisfied that I could go to any corner of the country at any time of the day or night and feel perfectly safe.

I'm just as satisfied that I could go to any corner of this country at any time of day or night and feel perfectly safe. Our gun laws and my concealed carry permit make that possible. Well perhaps not in some of our larger, liberal-controlled cities that the Dems prefer to maintain as combat zones, but in the neutral zones that the rest of America controls. :P

Speaking of traveling to the far corners, didn't you mention last year that you were traveling up here for a visit in late summer? Did that actually happen? And did you do any traveling? Or were you hiding in the back of the bus the entire time out of fear that some of our ever-present machine gun and sniper fire that constantly sweeps the land might pick you off? smile.png

Thank you for your interest but no I didn't travel, a series of family events including the passing of my brother meant putting those plans off for the time being.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3194461

• Gabby Hayes
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote: Would you have no conscience about whoever it was you shot, even if "they deserved it"?
Would the fact the person breaking in might be armed take all such consideration out of your mind forever?

I admit if someone broke into my house, and I had a gun I might well attempt to shoot them, but as you're likely to be the one caught unawares the intruder would most likely have the advantage, and that is taking away all the possibilities someone you didn't intend to shoot got hit, like a member of your own family perhaps, mistaken for an intruder.

I would be very angry that some low-life criminal had decided his own life was worth nothing more to him than the few material items he might get from me, and had put me in the unwanted position of having to use deadly force against him. He was the one who made the decision to get shot and possibly die. Having "deserved it" would never enter in.

If someone breaks into my home, I'll assume he's armed and willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish his task. If I see a weapon, the criminal has voluntarily given up any possible chance for mercy and I will immediately open fire and continue until such time as I determine that he no longer poses a threat. (This is precisely what the local police recommend in such a situation, including...) Yes, I will shoot him in the back if that's necessary. Prudent people don't attempt to challenge someone they know to be armed. He can quickly turn and get off a shot before I can hit him with enough force to disable him. No, I will not offer him tea and crumpets after the smoke clears. Nor will I attempt to provide first aid because I don't want to get that close to him. The police will bring the medical people when they arrive. In fact our medical personnel are generally forbidden from entering a crime scene until the police have arrived and cleared the premises. It will be unfortunate if the criminal bleeds out before they come, but that, again, was part of his decision to break the law. Everything in this paragraph is in line with what I was taught during my concealed carry training, given by local law enforcement.

As far as fearing I might miss and hit an innocent bystander goes. Come on, would someone named Gabby Hayes miss? smile.png But since I live alone I don't have to worry about family members wandering about in the middle of the night. Any that might would likely be more heavily-armed than myself. :lol:

A prudent person also does not fire upon a target he hasn't identified, along with what lies beyond it. That means no shooting through closed doors, no firing down dark hallways "just in case," and definitely no shooting at noises or other disturbances, including unidentified shadows. And most definitely no running outside to shoot at the getaway car like in the movies. I'll be carrying my trusty torch if it's dark. smile.png Another thing I won't be doing is "house clearing." That's what the police are for. I would be alone, have limited firepower, and no backup if things get dicey. The police will come in multiples, bringing more firepower, and have radios to call for more. Instead I'll just hunker down in my very own version of a "safe space" where I can observe as much as possible and let him come to me. I'll have the upper hand there because I know the layout of furniture and other items the burglar might trip over.

Armed encounters can be bloody, nasty events, especially at night. There are no second place prizes handed out either. I constantly advise people who ask me that if they haven't already made, or can't make, the mental preparation for possibly taking another person's life, and can definitely say they'd be able and willing to do so if necessary, they probably shouldn't own a firearm or any other lethal weapon. The only thing worse than dying at the hand of a criminal would be his using your own gun to do it, a gun he's taken from you because you hesitated or your resolve failed. The only thing possibly worse than that will be if he then goes on to kill or injure others with that gun.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff, Robin

Last edit: by Gabby Hayes.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3195108

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1206
  • Honor Medal 2010
Thank you to the above forum members explaining the situations they have experienced, or live with in their country.

Debate seems a bit less appealing, or justified following your posts (such as pointing out Americans with families in their homes might inadvertently shoot loved ones).

Without a doubt in the UK we do not have to face the realities you do, and having to plan for the threats you do face. Most intruders here are unarmed, and though a violation you'd be devastated about should it happen to you, a good dog, not owning too much anyone would want, and reasonable security measures like locks, and neighbours keeping an eye out for you seem enough to protect you.

The only experience I have of anyone stealing from me was someone deciding the steal almost worthless redundant tractor batteries fromfrom the barn in the farmyard. I happened to be at home, and heard the noise of the van pulling up on the road near the farm, assuming it to be a delivery for a neighbour. I did get up to take a look, though too late to see anything other than hearing the van shooting off, and the men responsible must have realised someone was about maybe. In their hurry they didn't get even all the old batteries there, and an old battery charger attached to one battery got caught in the nettles so came off, and I retrieved it intact.

Would I have thought of using a firearm against them, should I have had one?

No certainly not, as I wasn't personally threatened, and I tried to keep the farm gate closed more often thereafter. My dog wasn't much use either, asleep on the job I think, or too friendly, though he had a bit of an excuse as I couldn't keep him loose in the yard as he'd be off visiting neighbours canine bitches too muchsmile.png !

A different world to your own then, and my farming friend with a sister married to an American and living in the US says, she sleeps with a gun under the pillow, even though they live in a rural area.
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff, Robin

Last edit: by grahamg.

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3195136

• Gabby Hayes
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Honor Medal 2010

grahamg wrote: Thank you to the above forum members explaining the situations they have experienced, or live with in their country.

Debate seems a bit less appealing, or justified following your posts (such as pointing out Americans with families in their homes might inadvertently shoot loved ones).

Without a doubt in the UK we do not have to face the realities you do, and having to plan for the threats you do face. Most intruders here are unarmed, and though a violation you'd be devastated about should it happen to you, a good dog, not owning too much anyone would want, and reasonable security measures like locks, and neighbours keeping an eye out for you seem enough to protect you.

The only experience I have of anyone stealing from me was someone deciding the steal almost worthless redundant tractor batteries fromfrom the barn in the farmyard. I happened to be at home, and heard the noise of the van pulling up on the road near the farm, assuming it to be a delivery for a neighbour. I did get up to take a look, though too late to see anything other than hearing the van shooting off, and the men responsible must have realised someone was about maybe. In their hurry they didn't get even all the old batteries there, and an old battery charger attached to one battery got caught in the nettles so came off, and I retrieved it intact.

Would I have thought of using a firearm against them, should I have had one?

No certainly not, as I wasn't personally threatened, and I tried to keep the farm gate closed more often thereafter. My dog wasn't much use either, asleep on the job I think, or too friendly, though he had a bit of an excuse as I couldn't keep him loose in the yard as he'd be off visiting neighbours canine bitches too much smile.png !

A different world to your own then, and my farming friend with a sister married to an American and living in the US says, she sleeps with a gun under the pillow, even though they live in a rural area.

The battle over gun control has long gotten past the debate stage. One side demands to be able to defend themselves, hunt, keep varmints under control, shoot recreationally, keep collections, etc. The other side wants to end the private ownership of firearms and anything else they consider dangerous – knives being the current boogeyman. More broadly, they want to control people whom they don't like. Neither side is going to yield to the other so, even if politicians try to intervene, it's likely going to come down to the courts. In some places it already has. So don't spend too much time working on your arguments because they really don't matter, especially those coming from across the great void in other countries whose comparability with the U.S. ends at their borders.

PS - tell your farming friend to let his sister in the colonies know that Gabby says keeping a firearm under her pillow is the textbook least safe place to store it. smile.png
The following user(s) said Well Said: PopsnTuff

Study: States With Stricter Gun Control Regulations Have Fewer Mass Shootings 2 months 1 week ago #3196582

• Pi
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3432
  • Honor Medal 2010

Vegemite Kid wrote:

lensman wrote:

Vegemite Kid wrote:

. What you really want is a complete confiscation of guns along with a disarmed and helpless population.

Could you clarify who the 'you' in your sentence is referring to please.

As have never read anybody saying that at all, either about US or any other country.

You may not agree with other posters here but that seems a misrepresentation of what anybody else says.

Ah a diversion into pedantry!
It is obvious to me that the "you" referred to is the usual suspects who take up the anti gun stance.

well ,then it is a misrepresentation of what the usual anti gun posters are saying - I have never seen anyone say they want a complete confiscation of all guns, either in US or any other country.

hardly pedantic to want peoples views represented correctly
. :unsure:

Being a pedant myself, I could sympathise with your desire for accuracy had you in fact been accurate about that which you claimed was a misrepresentation!

You state that you have never read what you erroneously attribute to Gabby saying.

Gabby didn't say that anybody had actually said those words, the clue is in his first four words: "What you really want ......" This is neither quoting them (the anti-gun lobby), nor putting words into their mouths, simply reading their minds perhaps. It is purely supposition about what he believes is the thinking behind their posts, their ultimate goal, which is simply an opinion.

Pedants of the world unite.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Jane R

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds