Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discuss, debate and exchange opinions on issues that are of a serious nature.

TOPIC: What is happening in Los Angeles?

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171486

• Jennet
  • Jennet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1678
  • Honor Medal 2010
What is happening in Los Angeles?

www.nbclosangeles.com

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA'S HOMELESSNESS EPIDEMIC
Typhus Epidemic Worsens in Los Angeles

A veteran city prosecutor is among the latest victims.

By Joel Grover and Amy Corral

Published Jan 31, 2019 at 8:00 PM | Updated at 9:59 AM PST on Feb 1, 2019

A veteran Los Angeles City Hall official is one of the latest victims of an epidemic of the infectious disease typhus that continues to worsen across LA County.

For months, LA County public health officials have said typhus is mainly hitting the homeless population.

But Deputy City Attorney Liz Greenwood, a veteran prosecutor, tells NBC4 she was diagnosed with typhus in November, after experiencing high fevers and excruciating headaches.

"It felt like somebody was driving railroad stakes through my eyes and out the back of my neck," Greenwood told the I-Team. "Who gets typhus? It's a medieval disease that's caused by trash

The Symptoms of Typhus
Greenwood believes she contracted typhus from fleas in her office at City Hall East. Fleas often live on rats, which congregate in the many heaps of trash that are visible across the city of LA, and are a breeding ground for typhus.
"There are rats in City Hall and City Hall East," Greenwood added. "There are enormous rats and their tails are as long as their bodies."

Ignored Trash Piles, Rats Could Be Causing Typhus Outbreak
Last year set a new record for the number of typhus cases — 124 in LA County for the year, according to the California Department of Public Health.

Last October, Mayor Garcetti vowed to clean up piles of garbage throughout the city to combat the typhus epidemic.
The Mayor allocated millions of dollars to increase clean-ups of streets in the Skid Row area, known lately as "the typhus zone

But four months later, the I-Team documented huge piles of garbage just outside the "typhus zone."
"You can't solve it (the typhus epidemic) until you hit the cause," says Estela Lopez of the Downtown Industrial Business Improvement District, "and the cause of it is that you still have these mountains of trash."
Added Greenwood: "This is a terrible illness and I wouldn't wish this on anybody. But it's not just homeless folks getting it."

LA Vows to Clean Filth From More City Streets
She believes the city should fumigate City Hall and City Hall East to protect the thousands of workers and visitors who could be at risk from getting typhus.
Responding to complaints from other city workers fearful of getting typhus, LA has already fumigated LAPD’s Central Division office and parts of the LAPD’s main headquarters.
Garcetti's office did not respond to NBC4's questions about why the city hasn't fully fumigated City Hall buildings as well.

Increased Effort to Stop Typhus Outbreak in LA County[LA] Increased Effort to Stop Typhus Outbreak in LA County
A typhus outbreak across LA County is creating a lot of concern. John Cádiz Klemack reports for NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on Oct. 9, 2018.(Published Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018)
Greenwood says she doesn't want to return to work at City Hall East until the entire building is fumigated for typhus-carrying fleas.

"I am concerned about going back to work and getting this again, because I thought I was going to die," Greenwood said.
Statement from Mayor Garcetti's Office:
Los Angeles' Response to Typhus Epidemic 'Too Slow'

"Last fall we directed multiple City departments to begin a coordinated and comprehensive effort to improve cleanliness and protect public health in the Civic Center, including City Hall and City Hall East. In addition to increased trash collection and cleanings, aggressive action has been taken to address pests both in the buildings and in the surrounding outside areas — including abatement treatments and the filling of 60 rodent burrows and 114 tree wells. This work in busy and highly populated public buildings is executed carefully to protect workers and visitors, and the scheduling of extermination activities takes these factors into consideration." -- Vicki Curry, spokeswoman, city of Los Angeles

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171494

• Savvy
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Platinum Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1590
  • Honor Medal 2010
Until it affects the more affluent parts of the city it is no problem. We simply don't have enough money to pick up the garbage, and create billionaires MAGA
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Eira, Mary Mary

Save America, dump Trump.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171499

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2260
  • Honor Medal 2010
It's been going on for years. It really started ramping up in the late 70s and early 80s. There are a lot of factors but the main ingredient is lack of care or money. If they are not in your immediate neighborhood you ignore it, the sprawl of LA enables that.
LA is temperate all year so living outside is not a stretch. The mentally ill are not taken care of, not institutionalized. The rental market is way expensive, low paying jobs won't pay rent and food and if people can't keep house mates they are out of luck. A lot of the homeless have alcohol or drug problems and getting help is not easy.
It's a problem all over So Cal, it's a matter of scale so LA's population of homeless is larger and they are not just downtown, they are in the riverbeds, under bridges, in warehouse/industrial areas.
We need public housing and health care. We need programs to rehabilitate the homeless so they can work and live decent lives. It takes money and people don't like taxes and don't think it's their responsibility to help. Charity organizations can never take up the slack. It you don't mind living amongst people who are homeless and sick with one thing or the other, do nothing.
I live outside San Diego and San Diego's homeless problem isn't any or much better.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Eira, GerryM, Bretrick

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”
Last edit: by altshovel.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171506

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3897
  • Honor Medal 2010
Mr Shovel I believe you totally and yes they need help NOT THE ILLEGALS! Dallas was almost the same but they closed the areas where they stayed I have no idea of where they all went. I actually saw some ask us to take them to jail where they would have food and dry clothes & medical. 1 we did but had to charge him with PI to legally do it.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171513

• altshovel
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 2260
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: Mr Shovel I believe you totally and yes they need help NOT THE ILLEGALS! Dallas was almost the same but they closed the areas where they stayed I have no idea of where they all went. I actually saw some ask us to take them to jail where they would have food and dry clothes & medical. 1 we did but had to charge him with PI to legally do it.

You're mistaken if you think illegals here have anything to do with the homeless problem. The percentage of Mexican nationals who are homeless is negative. Illegals always have networks here and they always get jobs. The homeless are mostly incapable of getting jobs because of their situation(s).
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mary Mary, Savvy

“Someone has said that it requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.”

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171540

• Dennis 2
  • Away
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 3897
  • Honor Medal 2010
Money spent on them (illegals) rather spent on citizens

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171541

• Michaela
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 711
  • Honor Medal 2010
Scary stuff.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Sweetness56

9 Remember the former things of old,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things that are not yet done,
Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
And I will do all My pleasure,’
11 Calling a bird of prey from the east,
The man who executes My counsel, from a far country.
Indeed I have spoken it;
I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it;
I will also do it. (Isaiah 46: 9-11)
Last edit: by Michaela.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171549

• Serena77
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 11893
  • Honor Medal 2010

Dennis 2 wrote: Mr Shovel I believe you totally and yes they need help NOT THE ILLEGALS! Dallas was almost the same but they closed the areas where they stayed I have no idea of where they all went. I actually saw some ask us to take them to jail where they would have food and dry clothes & medical. 1 we did but had to charge him with PI to legally do it.

Of course they want to help the illegals, compliments of the American taxpayers. The Democrats will garner many votes from these illegals. It is all a power play. They don't care about the homeless, evidently.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Michaela

"money buys everything,
but ............common sense."
Last edit: by Serena77.

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171554

• grahamg
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1249
  • Honor Medal 2010

Serena77 wrote:

Of course they want to help the illegals, compliments of the American taxpayers. The Democrats will garner many votes from these illegals. It is all a power play. They don't care about the homeless, evidently.

Not sure why you think you might know the amount of care in anyone, maybe you don't care if you are unfairly criticising those of a different political persuasion.

Now "illegals", " immigrants", and all the rest of it, and discussions about them plays to a base, or a core of supporters for a political party, so really the one who needs those people to be there most lives in the White House.

I accept a need to control migration, and discourage people from coming to the US illegally, but as so many administrations from both parties have given USbcitizenship to those who have made a good life for themselves, and contributed to your society in the past, it is not quite the picture you're presenting here.
The following user(s) said Well Said: Annette, Savvy

What is happening in Los Angeles? 6 months 1 week ago #3171558

• Shadowman
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Titanium Buzzer
  • Well said received: 1991
  • Honor Medal 2010
If someone has evidence of non-citizens voting, why do they keep sitting on it?

'Like voter fraud generally, non-citizen voting is incredibly rare. Simply put, we already know that ineligible non-citizens do not vote in American elections — including the 2016 election — except at negligible rates. Here are the facts.'
time.com/4669899/illegal-citizens-voting-trump/
The following user(s) said Well Said: Mary Mary, Savvy

Moderators: smilesrus10pascaloumikePats
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds